StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a possible weekend event here in Florida during the early spring - late February, early March.

"Tour de Forests" would be a multi-day ride that would ride to and through as much of Apalachicola, Ocala and Osceola National Forests as possible.

I'm looking for help in putting some routes together. I would like to see some off road routes that just about any dualsport bike could ride on. I would like to make this a true dualsport adventure where you ride and camp and carry all your gear on your bike.

Let me know if y'all have any input for choice of routes.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I'd be real interested in a trip like this. I wish I could help out with planning, but I'm not too familiar with the dirt routes in the forests. Might want to start by looking at routes used by the Dixie Dual Sport guys but most of their rides are oriented for smaller enduros, even the ones they say are suitable for big adventure tourers. I can help scout out some roads if we find some that may be good. You know, to evaluate their large DS bike suitability for quality control purposes. ;) How "multi-day" are you thinking of? Like a weekend thing, or longer?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Forest ride

I rode in a couple of Dixie Dual Sports rides on my KLR 650.Some of the routes were a real workout on the KLR lots of deep sand whoops and lots of deep black water. The KLR made it all the way no problems.Probaly wouldnt take my Vstrom except maybe on forest hard pack stuff.But that is a good idea to ride through the forests just got to plan a route for larger bikes.The dual sportrides were in Ocala National Forest.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am talking about late February, early March. That, at least in my thinking, is winter.

One of the things you don't want to do is ride during hunting season. It is never a fun thing to come sliding around a corner and find the barrel of a gun that belongs to an upset hunter pointed at you!

Stroms are not sand animals! I would never do that to y'all!

·
Premium Member
2,361 Posts
Am I a wigwam or a teepee? You are too tense!

The Feb-or-Mar trip sounds like fun, and I would like to participate. I can negotiate a few miles of chancy terrain, and I have some extra camping gear and some willingness to carry it.

Keith

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm up for an overnighter and some off-road riding. There are a lot of dirt roads in the forest areas, but so many of them are too sandy for a V-Strom if there hasn't been any recent rains.

Dixie Dual Sport has their Daytona Dual Sport ride the first weekend of March, so we want to stay away from that weekend. That is one sandy ride.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My thoughts are very similar to yours - I really do not want to see deep sugar sand on my Strom. It's tought enough on the KLR650 and that is why I have my KLX250S - for just those conditions.

I need to get out one of these weekends and do some scouting of the Ocala National Forest to Osceola National Forest routes.

At one time there was a ferry that ran across the Oklawaha River from Hog Valley. Does anyone know if that is still operating?

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Count me in for this ride as long as we can camp at a good fish'in hole. I will need to plan a couple of weeks in advance to get off of work so lets work on a date, and a trail soon! :) (sugar sand is no fun) :twisted:
My Strom

·
Registered
7 Posts
I spend time in the Osceola forest (East Lake City) and have a great route to and from it. Lots of hard dirt and limerock in Osceola with some sand but you have to hunt for it. Glad to take you on a tour but before hunt season.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Sounds good to me, lets keep this on the front burner for the February meet and greet ride. An overnighter would be great!
Coffee and event discussion at Biketoberfest????

O

·
0 Posts
This sounds just like the thing I got my Wee for anyway:) By then it should be good and broken in. I only hope I have engine gards by then. I'd hate to drop my new Strom and brake something, or worse.. dent something :eek:

But I'm all up for the woods, overnight, trails, Strom, no sugar sand or deep water.

Jim

·
Registered
413 Posts
OK, spoke to the wife and she reminded me we will be sking March 9-20 so any way to make it Feb or maybe late March?
Ok I know thats a tall order to ask the whole community to adjust around my vacation time, but I just really really would like to go. :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'll be in Apalachicola for the winter with my 650. I'd like to stay informed of what's developing. And I too would like to stay clear of the deep sugar. Can't even get through it on my full suspension mountain bike.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Other areas to explore are Florida's State Forests. Withlacoochee State Forest is loaded with dirt roads, but it's not close to the 3 National Forests planned for this ride. Tate's Hell SF :shock: is next to Apalachicola NF, anyone know anything about it?

FWIW; State Parks almost always have showers. Very nice after a day in the dirt. A lake-side campsite is a suitable replacement :D .

1 - 18 of 18 Posts