StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This summer I am taking my “Epic Motorcycle Journey from Florida to Alaska”. I will be traveling solo 13,000 miles on this round trip ride. It is at the top of my bucket list.

I have turned it into a charity ride. Check out my website below. On it you can follow my route on a GPS Tracker, read my Daily Journal and view Photo's of my trip.

www.ridingforhaiti.com

Please keep me in your prayers for a safe trip and return.

·
Registered
776 Posts
It's on my short list of rides to do. Are you taking your new concours there? Are you riding solo, yes I just saw that you are.

I wish you incredible weather and good safety by your side. I wish I could go along.

happy trails,

Clem

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Bill.

Best of luck on your epic adventure ride. I am sure that all of us have a dream ride that we would like to do some day. I know I do! Good for you that you are acting on your dream and making it come true. The Connie will be well broken-in by the time get home. Bring it home in one piece safely.

·
Premium Member
2,357 Posts
Follow my tracks ...

Enjoy your ride, Bill. I will be departing a few days before you, on my second attempt to reach Vancouver British Columbia. I turned back last month because Arizona's crosswinds were too strong for me to handle.

A few years ago I rode from Coeur D'Alene ID to Vancouver BC, and I chanced upon a pleasant and scenic route. I took I-90 to Spokane, then US-2 and some secondary roads to Grand Coulee WA, where the dam taps the Columbia River for electricity. If you have no better route in mind, consider that route. The scenery is rugged, and varies a lot. I crossed at Osoyoos BC, and took the Trans Canada west. That too offered great scenery.

Coeur D'Alene to Vancouver is about 500 miles, and it's a tough enough 500 to be a full day's work for this old codger. Your mileage may vary.

Keith

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Keith,

I know that road well. My dad lived the last 20 years of his life in Omak Washington that is in the Okanogan Valley. I have often flown into Spokane and driven that route to his house, There is also a very cool road just north of there that goes through Republic.

·
Premium Member
2,357 Posts
I remember Omak

I probably gassed up at a pump that you used in Omak; as I recall, there were not many businesses in that burg. Later on, the Canada Customs fellow asked why I chose to cross the border at Osoyoos. A number of answers came to mind, some of them notso good, such as, "I figgered you hicks wouldn't search me for drugs." but I held my tongue and shrugged.

One other scenic road I chanced upon in central Idaho proved to be a real treat. US 93 closely follows the turbulent Salmon River, and downstream means north. Lewis and Clark had a look at the Salmon River, and bypassed it because it was too fast to be usable in either direction. But the scenery is terrific, and the valley varies in width considerably.

As I recollect, US 93 is not really an efficient route from hereabouts to Coeur D'Alene, but if you seek scenery, it may be worth the extra miles. I was merely taking Peter Fonda's advice when I wandered thataway -- he really admires and enjoys the Bitterroot Range that forms the Montana-Idaho border there.

Keith

·
Registered
413 Posts
What a ride!! Hope your eye gets well quick! So So jealous. I wish I were able to make that trip. I can only imagine all the roads, eye candy, history etc etc. Interested to hear how the new Coni14 was on a long trip compared to the Vee.

I can never find anyone who wants to ride any distance. Most people I know think Longwood to Daytona is a full day of riding! I have made several trips up to my brothers in Maryland and back on the Wee, but always by myself. The only long trips I made with anyone was a two day camping trip with fellow Stromers (fun trip) and my son and I rode up to Deals Gap and back. He was sixteen then and now that he's about to be 20 he's to busy to be hanging around with just the old man for days on end. Ha!

Anyway, back to that Coni14 long distance report/review! :yesnod:

·
Registered
235 Posts
My bucket list ride is Santiago, Chile to Tierra del Fuego. There is a tour ride there but I would prefer to make the ride with a couple of friends, one of whom should speak Spanish. I wonder if I'll ever do it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts