StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am very saddened to hear of the drowning of the little boy at Bingara yesterday. Such things are a tradgic event anyhwere but they seem to impact more on smaller communities. We hope all troopers and families are fairing well.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
And now there is another young boy missing feared drowned down near Wagga Wagga :sad1:

2000 people now isolated up around Wee Waa and other surrounding areas as well.

Let's hope no more lives are lost in these floods.

·
Registered
469 Posts
220 mm of Rain

It was a tragic incident in Bingara on Saturday, I didn’t know the family personally, however my thoughts are with them.
Fortunately since the construction of Copeton dam on the Gwydir River in the 70’s, about 50 km upstream, Bingara has been spared major flooding in the town. The same cannot be said for the towns downstream on the Gwydir which also cop the influx of water from the Horton River , Myall Creek and many other creeks and tributaries. Moree is currently isolated and houses in the lower areas within the town have sustained flood damage.

Halls creek lost its banks over Junction Street.

The Junction at the end of Maitland St where Halls Ck meets the Gwydir.

On a more positive note, from a cattle farmers perspective, this has been a very handy and much needed fall of rain. I measured 220mm over 3 1/2 days. As we missed out on the heavy rain last year this has given the country a good soaking and filled dams which have had little more than a puddle in bottom for the last 10 years.
However I am sure the crop farmers would disagree as they have only just started harvesting in this region. The rain will mean downgraded grain and water logged paddocks.

The same dam around this time last year.

Myall Ck which runs down below my house. The creek peaked around lunch time Saturday.

The same shot Sunday morning.

The water didn't quite make it over the pump, i had removed the electric motor just in case.

On the downside, with all the creeks and gullies on the property running a banker I have a bit of fencing to keep me busy for the next week or two.

Not to mention the damage to the roads.

Cheers Ian

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the update and pics Strongarm. Have fun with the fencing and other repairs. Looks like ther my be a few T-Bones ready by March :green_lol:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts