StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been noticing my steering has become different since I did a decent off road ride a couple of months ago. Ive checked all the usual bolts etc and could not find anything wrong. The bike has 12000km on it and the PO put ProTaper bars on it which have the cross brace. Yesterday I was riding home and sitting in traffic when I decided to strecth a little. It was then I noticed how much the bars flex and then saw the bar moving about 6mm where the brace is supposed to hold it. Got home and tried to tighten the allen bolt on the brace, but its as tight as my ex's solicitor. As I have never bought or used bars like this, but are they meant to do this and if not, how should I fix the problem. The left side is the only side that the brace slides on but both sides of the bar flex. I know there should be some flex, but how much is too much? Please help

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Wish I could help you, but I sure like the Ex's solicitor remark.

·
Registered
524 Posts
My bars don't flex (or have vibration). MSR carbon steel bars ... they are cheap. If you're worried about the flexing, then dump the bars for some of the MSR with similar dimensions. rockymountainatvmc.com has a listing of bars/dimensions. Then you can order through the cheapest vendor.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
6mm seems like a lot of movement. but are you talking about 6mm of flex or 6mm of rotation at the clamp? if you have pro taper bars that are flexing 6mm, i would say they are defective and would replace them. while you're at it, don't get bars with the cross brace. fat bars, like pro taper contours are awesome. i use the contour in KX high. http://www.stromtrooper.com/825036-post2.html

·
Registered
19 Posts
While searching for opinions on new bars at advrider. There was a post about a rubber damper under the bars or mounts on the vee. This is not on the wee. I guess they perish after a while and get the play you are experiencing. Sorry I cant help more.
Jerry

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the comments/answers. I removed the clamp yesterday and cleaned out the thread and bolt. There looked like some sort of adhesive had been used between the clamp and the bar, which had rubbed away. I inserted a rubber wedge as suggested and put everything back together and now have a nice feeling in my steering again. There is now 2mm flex at the ends of the bar, which is good by me. The previous 6mm play was at the clamp so it would have been heaps more at the bar end.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts