StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Wee has some fresh scratches on the tank. It looks like it went through at least the clear coat layer. Is there any way for me to repair it? What about a body shop, can they repair it without needing to repaint the whole thing?

So, how did that happen? Today seems to be our scratch day. The Dirts are on the move. A great 370 mile ride today to somewhere in WV for the night. Earlier today the wind was blowing so hard we were concerned the Wee was going to get blown over in the parking lot of the Green Bank Telescope visitor area. I decided to move the bike not realizing my wife had her helmet on the speedo cluster and wham, brand new Scorpion modular hits the pavement and all scractched up. :furious:

Pull into the hotel. Wife slid her magnetic tank bag from left to right across the tank. She didn't realize there was some type of gritty abrasive crap under the magnet. Significant scratches most of the way across the tank. Really bad spot. :furious:

These are not scratches that can be missed. They are the kind that just shout out at you, "hey, look, I'm a <deleted because wife is seeing this thread>.

If this will take a body shop, what kind of $$ am I looking at?

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
I decided to move the bike not realizing my wife had her helmet on the speedo cluster and wham, brand new Scorpion modular hits the pavement and all scractched up. :furious:
Eh. Mine took a hit from a Touratech lid, thanks to the wind at the I90 rest stop near Ellensburg ... brand new helmet, nice big chunk out of the paint. I hate shiny new things. :(

Wife slid her magnetic tank bag from left to right across the tank. She didn't realize there was some type of gritty abrasive crap under the magnet. Significant scratches most of the way across the tank. Really bad spot. :furious:
I have a flat black one as well, and I'm not convinced that the matte body parts are clearcoated. They might be. Have you tried the obvious (Meguiar's or similar)? That, plus maybe a small rotary buffer, should fix any damage you could possibly do with a tank bag, no matter how abrasive. I've used Meguiar's cleaners to successfully fix some pretty nasty stuff, like the gouges I left on my glossy side panels (which definitely appear to be clearcoated) when I removed my Touratech racks in one piece (to "save time" ... you know how that goes).

Personally, though, my plan for when the paint gets seriously damaged on mine is what BB said: truck bed liner. It'll look menacing. :)

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
A rubbing compound will tend to make it shiny.
Sure, it might, but I haven't had a problem with it. Granted, I haven't tried to remove a stubborn scratch from the matte finish yet, but I have used polish and wax on it, and it hasn't made it shiny. A tad more gloss than it started out with, but not much.

Anyway, it's either that, or live with it, or pay a pro ... or morph it into something else, such as a truck bed. :)

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Color Rite sales a touch up pen and can spray paint for the bike.

http://www.colorrite.com/matrix-step1.cfm?type=2

The pen is around $18 and the spray can is $38. Both seem high to me but its cheaper than a couple hundred dollars from the other.

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
Hey, Dirt Dad, I'll go halfsies with you on the flat black touch-up pen, assuming it can be used for more than one application without hardening at the tip or otherwise rendering itself useless (I have never used one of those things). I would imagine that there is enough paint in the thing to do several scratches. Just send it to me when you are done and I'll Paypal you half the original cost.

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey, Dirt Dad, I'll go halfsies with you on the flat black touch-up pen, assuming it can be used for more than one application without hardening at the tip or otherwise rendering itself useless (I have never used one of those things). I would imagine that there is enough paint in the thing to do several scratches. Just send it to me when you are done and I'll Paypal you half the original cost.
Thanks, but you obviously don't know my wife. She gets touch-up paint for everything we've ever owned. She definitely would not allow me to give it up for her bike.

I've ordered the paint and clear coat pens. I'm going to try it first on some of the smaller scratches where the gravel under the magnet first started to do damage. We'll see what happens.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts