StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up anail 994 miles into a cross country trip at the worst possible moment. Sat. Night. No one is open til Monday. Ifirst plug lasted 15'iles.i've got two plugs left. I guess ill try it again and hope for the best. Anybody out there close with a spare 15070r17?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Where are you? It doesn't sound like you are home.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I left out a key detail. I'm about 30 miles north of ok city on hwy 33 about a mile east of hwy 74.

·
Premium Member
715 Posts
If you are willing to post some contact info, I'll put your request in a regional forum on advrider.

·
Premium Member
715 Posts
OK, message posted here.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Near a walmart? They have threads/repair kits. Worst case sceanrio the green stuff in the bottle.My first thread lasted 15-30 miles. I installed it incorrectly. If you have installed one incorrectly you can "feel" difference when it 's installed correctedly.

Good Luck,
Les

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It really looked more like a screw in that it was mangled a little. Instead of a dead day waiting for a dealer to open in OKC, I motored on to Amarillo. 230 miles isn't much to brag about but considering 3 more plugs (5 total) and a can of fix a flat that really just looked like a volcano experiment, I'm glad I'm a little further west.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Sounds like you need a better tire repair kit. A good set of T-handled jobs, with a good-sized rasp...the hole needs to be uniform & clean. Quality strings (the Slime ones or Tech brand are the best, IMHO), and get them properly seated. I've put dozens of string plugs in tires over the years and never ever had one leak or fail.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
The Nealy tire repair kit has worked well for me. Ride-On tire sealant goo is liked by some for sealing hole and balancing. (The tire sealants add about a half-pound of unsprung weight to the wheels...that can't help handling and suspension action, altho folks who use the goo say that they don't notice a change.)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wouldn't you know the dealer in Amarillo had no tires. But, a stromtrooper member in amarillo did. Thanks to trailryder for his help, advice and just good nature. As far as the plugs situation, I think there are many variables. The best instance involved letting rubber cement dry for an hour. It lasted nearly all the way to Amarillo. The other 4 not so much. They just pulled out with a quickness. It seemed to happen more quickly on rough surfaced roads. But five plugs is not enough to really draw many conclusions. Too many variables.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Just out of curiosity were you using the dart type plugs or the worms? I remember going to the rally in Reno in 07 where one of the guys we met up with in Ely had picked up a nail and the angle the nail went into his tire would not seal up with the dart style repair kit that he had. I had him use one of my worms and he rode all the way across Nevada without losing any air at all.. I prefer the worms, with a good clean reaming, and letting it set for a half hour or so before pressurizing they seem to work well.. I as well have a slime kit and another high dollar kit (the name escapes me) but they both seem to work great.. The slime kit does tubeless and tubes (for my KLR)..

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
The heat build up, caused by the friction between the tire and the road, will actually melt the glue.

I know that a lot of riders use and prefer, "worm" plugs.

I prefer the mushroom plugs for the simple reason that, they are the very first plug kit I have used and the only one I have used. I have never had a failure using the mushroom plugs.

To give you an idea of the mileage I have put on mushroom plugs this season, out of the nearly 20,000 miles I have ridden, just about 16,000 miles has been on, mushroom plugged tires.

Once a plug is installed, I never worry about it again. My most recent 2,125 mile trip, I changed a pair of, used up, plugged Trailwings, for a pair of used, plugged Shinko radials. No problems.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I made it back in one piece. First trip on the v-strom. Chattanooga to Durango, CO and back. What a great piece of engineering. Handled very well on the little superslab i drove, just as well on the state highways and admirably off-road in the Ozarks and New Mexico, all the while overloaded with things I won't take on the next trip. Likewise, I'll never again attempt a 14 hour leg, phew.

Everyone should see this great country of ours. My V-strom makes it possible on a shoestring budget. Thanks Suzuki. Thanks Stromtroopers for the advice, encouragement and the actual assistance from TrailRyder42. One day when I'm as experienced as the rest of you guys I hope to return the favor to a newbie like myself.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
... and still he ignores questions about the type of "plugs" that didn't hold.

Oh well, glad you made due.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry. They were from a slime kit. I can't tell you much more than that. The kit came with a type of rasp that you cleaned the puncture with and then you inserted a doubled up plug covered in rubber cement. The plug looked like a piece of rope covered in sticky tar. Once in, you cut the plug sticking out of the tire off flush.

I don't think the plug failure was the fault of the plugs. I think the hole was just too big and centered right on a tread that put the plug into continual contact with the pavement. I am a little worried for the future though that replacement tires are so hard to find. Can you change the wheel to something that would accommodate a more popular size tire?

·
Registered
42 Posts
So that used rear tire lasted you the rest of the trip out west and all the way back home? I was guessing it had about 2000 miles left on it. Was there anything left of it?

Glad the trip was uneventful for you after you left here. Sounds like you had a good ride. It was good to meet you.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Sounds like you need a better tire repair kit. A good set of T-handled jobs, with a good-sized rasp...the hole needs to be uniform & clean. Quality strings (the Slime ones or Tech brand are the best, IMHO), and get them properly seated. I've put dozens of string plugs in tires over the years and never ever had one leak or fail.

OR...ULTRASEAL!! I use it. Put it in you tyres as soon as you can, it lives in the tyres all the time waiting to fix just this sort of problem. This is the stuff used by Army's, police, big fleet operators, motorcyclists etc etc around the world. It's industrial strength and permanently fixes the problem (unless sidewall damage). It works! I've had punctures front and back in my existing tyres on my Strom. Removed the offending items and there was instant seal, no loss of pressure. In europe any bike going on a continental tour with a professional group has to have it in otherwise you and your bike are a liability to the rest of the group. Plugs are not safe, not designed to be permanent, and not legal over here. It just makes you safer and saves hassle. Hope you get fixed ok.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts