StromTrooper banner

Fixing my DL1000 ( CRASHED )

1556 Views 12 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  richw
I had a car lane change into me. YES, I was lane splitting!

The bike is straight! frame, fork and rim wise.

ALL the front plastic & cluster got hammered.

My mechanic says he "thinks," he can find parts for around 2k.

I was thinking about doing a strip down repair w/ just finding a way to mount headlight and calling it a day.

I did receive a large settlement, enough to buy any bike I want including a
GS Adventure!!!

The bike has 20k on it and has Stayntune pipes, braded break / clutch lines and full Givi luggage that was undamaged.

If I did list to sell what might I ask for? '05 DL1000.

Thank-you!

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Fixing my DL1000 ( CRASHED )

I do not think you would get much more than $1000. Might be better parting it out, you would probably do better that way.

· Registered
62 Posts
Plastic parts can be repaired. Epoxy and glass cloth backing and putty the front.
And some parts can be replaced of E-bay.
Or yes just strip it and get creative. Lots of options out there. Although it is easier to just part it out and buy another.

Your body parts can't be replaced as easily. Carfull next time. Lane splitting is risky!

· Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
YES, I was ok, well.... kinda.

I live in TJ and commute to work in north San Diego. Been doing it for years. I absolutely need the bike to cross la frontera. W/O it can be a 3 hour wait. I bought a cheap commuter car and I get on the road @ 4:45a to hopefully start my work around 7:30. 2 hr. average to cross and another 45 min to make the commute.

I was entering Mex w/ heavy traffic about 300 yards from the border. A car suddenly changed right on top of me. I was doing about 10mph. He saw an open hole in the lane and did not look in his mirror or he would have seen me. He or I clipped the very front driver's side of his car and as I swerved to avoid to the left my momentum threw me into the truck ahead. That's where the damage occurred as I was going down the front of the bike hit the back bumper / tail pipe of the truck in front of me.

My left foot got smashed or my big toe did as the car hit me. This caused an ambulance ride and being admitted as a TRAUMA case. The hospital wanted 28k, doctor service $1200. and the ambulance was $1500.

I negotiated the med. bills down to a total of $12,500. from 32k. The insurance is giving me $6200. for bike ( I retain for $250. ) and 30k for the med.

I bought the bike w/ 18k mi for $5500.

So all said and done I will pocket about 17k. I have no medical ins. and had liability ins. for the bike. ( contracting biz is terrible these days BUT seems to be improving.)

I DECIDED TO PART THE BIKE, bad karma. So I will soon list the parts here and on Craigslist. The pipes alone are worth $700. ,The Staintune Slip-On Exhaust for the Suzuki DL1000 adds horsepower while reducing weight. - Sport Tour Ltd.

givi luggage in pristine condidion w/ racks another $250,
Givi Luggage racks for the Suzuki DL650 V-Strom - Sport Tour Motorcycle Accessories and Gear
then all the parts from the bike. It has a new tire on back Metzler Torrance, new unmounted front Metz tire I have new rear caliper and rotor unused and then the motor w/ 20k mi, rims, forks, Contour high rise bars, ect. ect.

· Registered
6,840 Posts
There are bike plastic repair ppaint places

here in the east the is empiregp

There has to some in Cali

usually charge 1/2 of new

That money is money not found money is the same money as you sweat for. INVEST it somewhere

· Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SOLD

I decided the Karma was bad for the bike. I did remove all the front plastic assembly at the fork and took it for a spin. I was very tempted to keep it but didn't want the memories.

I looked and rode a couple GSA's. Not my cup. I didn't like ride position ( I felt more snug on the DL). I didn't like the shifting sound w/ drive shaft. The boxer engine kind of restricts some leg movement and of course the COST. $20. for 2 gaskets oil plug / change !!

The DL is very smooth, powerful and great handling EXCEPT off road !!
I want a more capable off road machine. Just something that sucks up the wash board and is smooth, doesn't rattle and shake so much.

Will the fork brace and suspension upgrade really do the trick w/ a 300 or so pound payload ( rider / gear )?

Lots of used low milage DL's out there in the 5k range.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.