StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bar-end weights on my '04 Wee are definitely on the loose side, and I've tried to tighten the bolt to no avail (it's definitely already tight). With the factory handguards built in, what parts would I need to actually replace to make this right again?

Do I just need to swap out the actual expander, or is there more to it than that? Is the assembly one that requires different parts when using the handguards, or is it all the same bits and pieces?

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
Give us more detail about the "loose" issue.

The bar end screw just screws into a nut inside. Tight is tight, I think.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Loose as in: I can wobble them around and pretty much pull them out by hand a little bit, and I think if it weren't for the handguard that sort of wraps around the end, they would possibly just fall the heck out.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I've got stock handguards with no issues as far as the bar end weights being loose. I would add an extra washer (item 6) to compress the rubber a little more.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Loosen the screw no more than 1/2", move the handguard out of the way and wiggle out the entire assembly to make sure all the parts are connected. If they are, put it back and put sideways pressure on the weight to help keep the #8 rubber expander from turning as you tighten the screw. If not, somebody mistakenly took the screw all the way out and the #9 nut was pushed in so the screw couldn't reach it any more. In that case, the numbers 8 and 9 will have to be fished out with a wire or the other side weight will have to be removed and a flexible shaft or compressed air used to push trough the bar and get them out. The bar end on hand guard equipped models looks like the bottom picture rather than the top one.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm wondering whether the expanders dry out/wear out/etc at some point. The bike has got 41k on the clock.

Are the expanders just a wear item?

·
Registered
15,612 Posts
I would suggest loosening the bar end mounting screw a bit a pull the whole thing out and inspect it. My 2004 was loose and when I undid it I had all the bits loose in the handle bar that I fetched out with a bent wire. I just reassembled it and tightened it up again.
Maybe just grab the weight and turn it clockwise and see if it get tight.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I would suggest loosening the bar end mounting screw a bit a pull the whole thing out and inspect it. My 2004 was loose and when I undid it I had all the bits loose in the handle bar that I fetched out with a bent wire. I just reassembled it and tightened it up again.
Maybe just grab the weight and turn it clockwise and see if it get tight.

+ 1 on this one..... when loose enough, the expander just turns with the end weight or screw, turn the end weight while pulling out a little on it until you feel the weight starting to grab, then you should be able to tighten the Screw, or if as mentioned earlier, the nut has backed off the whole thing, you will have to fish it out, i doubt that is the case here, or the screw would be coming out as well... I give mine a couple of good twists every now and then to keep them snug...

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Surprised to hear that... it's tight enough that I can't tighten it any further. Is it still possible that it's not actually grabbing the nut inside?

·
38,103 Posts
If you are not the first owner, I wouldn't be surprised if an earlier owner took the screw all the way out, lost nut contact, and glued the screw back in so the hand guard is the only thing keeping the weight from falling out.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Grey Wolf... what do you mean when say "bottom picture", I only see one schematic, unless I'm missing something?

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
GW, you are correct... I'm in fact the THIRD owner. Is this likely to require replacement parts, or an entire replacement assembly?

·
Registered
280 Posts
When you say, "They're definetly tight" do you mean the phillips screw has tightened down to a point where you can't tighten anymore, ( by hand...no cheater on the screwdriver is needed)? BTW, A big #3 phillips is what you need to proper tighten them... a smaller common #2 won't get you there.

Pull the things out and make sure you've got the parts in the right arraingment.

Tighen the assembly in your hand with screwdriver and a 10mm wrench holding the end nut. Does the rubber swell up considerably? Measure it's OD... is it considerably larger than the bars ID?

Or... have you replaced the handlebars with ones having a thinner wall thickness?

Or, maybe you've got a mixed up arraingment of parts from the stock bar-ends and the set meant for the hand guards... maybe thats why your not expanding the rubber enough. (You don't want the long phillips screw to be running out of threads before the nut inside the rubber has done all the expanding it can do.)

Last, I don't know what others do, but I like to push the rubber sleeve, (item 5), FULLY into the bars. I don't just stop when the shoulder on it's end butts to the handlebars end. Rather, I force the shoulder into the bars as well, cramming it in with a screwdriver. It adds stiffness to the "end-fit" and I like how it brings the hand guards spacer up tight to the end of the handlebars as well.

Bottom line, it's a simple set-up and you can figure it out and resolve it just by looking at it.
Dave

·
38,103 Posts
Grey Wolf... what do you mean when say "bottom picture", I only see one schematic, unless I'm missing something?
The top being Heavy's previous post of the stock DL650.

GW, you are correct... I'm in fact the THIRD owner. Is this likely to require replacement parts, or an entire replacement assembly?
See if you can get things apart. That will give you more answers. Parts are available separately using the DL1000 fiche.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's as tight as I can get it with a big phillips bit on my T-handle socket/driver thing.

I'm beginning to wonder about whether the right parts are being used... I'll have to check when I get home. I don't know whether I remember there being a spacer on it or not.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Raising the zombie thread from the dead... got the bar ends out, and found this:

Under that tape, most of the pieces were there, though the rubber parts were all kind of knackered, and the bolt was thoroughly garbooned:

So, need to order a few little bits to make this all work again... hoping it fits in without wobbling with the new expander etc.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had to order parts anyhow, so $3 for a new nut didn't seem like that bad a deal. The expander is new, and I need a new washer (the one under all that tape is the 650 version, which is too thick and won't let the rubber handle expander compress enough to really seat. ALSO need the upper rubber bit, this one is a bit tired out.)

Given that I was ordering those bits anyhow, figured it wasn't the end of the world to just get a new bolt to replace the bent one... I'll keep this as a spare for any possible stupidity-related tipovers.

·
38,103 Posts
Those who don't have handguards, get parts for the Wee. Those with handguards, get parts for the Vee.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts