StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you plug tires (tubeless) or do you patch them? I am talking about in an emergency situation where you don't really have the luxury of dismounting the tire and patching it from the inside.

I am trying to decide what type of roadside tire repair kit I need. Lemme know what you like / prefer.

Thanks.

·
Registered
157 Posts
for a roadside fix, I would use the plug type. I may be wrong but the patch types would reqire the tire to be removed from the rim...not something I would want to do on the side of the road.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you plugged one before on a radial motorcycle tire?

R

·
0 Posts
TheTwins said:
Have you plugged one before on a radial motorcycle tire?
Yes. Rear tyre flat on an outback road about 300km from nearest repair shop. I used a Stop'n'Go plug type repair kit and 12V mini comressor.

After the plug repair, I rode the bike to the repair ship where they removed the tyre from the rim and fitted a mushroom type patch from the inside.

No more problems.

Now, I always travel with my Stop'n'Go kit and compressor whenever I am out of town.

·
Registered
37 Posts
being new at this whole motorcycle thing, your post gives me the opportunity to ask a question which has been on my mind.

What exactly is it like, or what happens, when a bike gets a blowout or flat at speed? it sounds frightening, but maybe recovery isn't has difficult as one would imagine. thanks for your thoughts.
JOE

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yeah, I plugged my first tire only 2 weeks ago. It happened to my son's SV-650 while I was riding my Wee Strom. Thankfully, we had stopped and he heard the rear tire hissing. :twisted: I pulled out the offending piece of steel and the tire finished deflating quickly. Out of the tail section of my bike I pulled out my Walmart mini patch kit, followed the directions (except they did not mention putting the glue on the plugs which I did anyway). I let it dry for an hour (do not know if it was necessary) and pulled out my $10.00 Walmart compressor (sans case), filled the tire with air, waited to check for leaks and we rode off. It held air perfectly. The tire was ok but still near the end of it's life so my son just put a new tire on last week. Yes sir. I will always carry the ability to fix a flat and ride off.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Plugging is good for leaks on the roadsurface of the tire, not in the sidewall. As the tire heats up with road friction the plug melts into the tire.

If you have never done it before then, practice on your tire at your next tire change.

Before they or you remove the old tire drill a hole in it and then plug it
for practice

Do it a few times... It's easy but the confidence you gain from doing it will help in a pinch..

It's the same process for car tires too... I have plugged several of those

PS: Sammy's Pappy The Glue is good,,, I dont think you have to wait that long.. but hey, thats ok

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well this is good news. I can get a plug kit from wal fart or something else like that and carry it with me.

I've plugged car tires before so I know what I'm doing, just never did it on a radial motorcycle tire.

I've done millions of patches on tube type tires for the MX bike, that is almost too easy but you have to dismount the rim.

Good to know I can use a plug for the radial tires on the road bikes. Thanks guys for sharing your stories.

Anyone else have anything to add?

M

·
0 Posts
If you have never done it before then, practice on your tire at your next tire change.

thanks that is a good advice ...i am going to get a old tire for this

·
Registered
504 Posts
Hey Joe Believe me you haven't lived until you've gotten a flat on the front tire at speed. years ago on my old Yamaha 125 enduro doing around 55 the front tire went flat "fast", scared the c!#p out of me. It seemed like an eternity wrestling the thing to come to a stop.

Dan

·
Registered
285 Posts
I used Ride-On on my GS500. Picked up a small screw in the rear tire.
Stuff worked great. Stays liquid, never turns solid. I had it in the tire for over 6,000 miles throughout the winter as well as the latter part of the fall.
I keep that and a minicompressor with me all the time.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I always put the green/yellow "slime" in the tires of every bike I buy. I have had it in the tires of my Strom from new. Have not had a problem with this stuff in 5 years of use in m/c tires. It self-balances as you start to roll.

I also always carry under the seat:-

Plug patch kit
Mini air compressor
Tire pressure gauge.

I have fitted a fused 12V outlet at the rear, under my Givi topbox.

I have repaired many radial car tires, non-radial m/c tires, but as yet no radial m/c tires.

W

·
0 Posts
Stop N Go plugs work good with most tires. Metzeler Tourances, however, are the exception. Their steel belt weave design chews the plug to pieces before it has time to seat. For those, I use the sticky string type of plugs without a problem.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Although probably obvious, but not mentioned here, don't forget to have a good pair of pliers with you to pull the nail out, and snips to cut off the part that will hang outside the tire after it's installed. :) I've fixed a bunch of tires (not motorcycle tires tho) with these kits and they work great. Never fail.

Don't forget to have some velcro with you to hold the front brake locked, becase you do a lot of hard pushing and pulling on the tire with the kit tools in order to install the patch. Maybe not as much with a motorcycle tire not sure.

I'm actually on my way now to buy some stuff for my new bike, and a patch kit and air compressor on the top of my list. :)

G

·
0 Posts
Hi, What flat tyre.
Haven't you guys heard of UltraSeal.
It also improves tyre life by about 25-30%. :idea:
I'm not going into ballancing here.
I did UK/Moscow then UK Iberian peninsular on one tyre. :p
The UltraSeal is red so you can see if you have had a leak.
Just remember to inspect your tyres.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Well , I had it happen to me and I must say that w/4300mi. on my 05 1K I was bummin' Yesterday when I found that the bike was not handling turns with the same ease and I heard a growling in the front of the bike ( this all happened on the way to work ) I checked the psi of the front tire & I was stunned to see 16psi. i double checked to see if I had not sealed on the stem right , Then I borrowed a guage from the maint shop, all read 15-17 !! I called A DEALER For SUZUKI and they said that they didn't have a tire to fit my VEE , Not we don't have a trailwing , They don't have anything that fits it.
I inquired about sealants they said "SLIME Can't be used over 60mph. and that I should plug the tire temporarily & order a replacement tire @ 164.50 including M & B . I waffled on ordering the new Wing But today I went to the dealer I bought the VEE from & He said the plug w/last the life of the tire & that if I need it re-ballanced bring it in & they would fixme up . I asked why he couldn't ?wouldn't plug it & he said he couldn't . Will I in fact get the last 5-7,000mi out of the tire or should I by a replacement Wing ???? I would welcome all thoughts and advice, jack

·
Registered
152 Posts
Leal Sealants

mike183 said:
I used Ride-On on my GS500. Picked up a small screw in the rear tire.
Stuff worked great. Stays liquid, never turns solid. I had it in the tire for over 6,000 miles throughout the winter as well as the latter part of the fall.
I keep that and a minicompressor with me all the time.
I've a friend who's a motorcycle mechanic in small independent shop. If he changes a tire that has had Ride-On, Slime or any other adulteration added to the tire, he charges extra for the hassle of the offending always "stays liquid" mess.

His gripe is that these applications create a mess on his tools and tire changing machine and he winds up expending extra time to clean it up.

I've Ride-On sitting on the shelf in the garage but have refrained from installing it because of this and other potential issues (eg. tire balance, etc) that I'm not aware of.

In the meantime a patch kit and pump are aboard the bike.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Every time I get a new bike tyre I seem to get a puncture almost straight off and I've had to plug it. Used the gooey string type and never had a problem, got 29,000k's out of one tyre after plugging it. A mate has a tyre service and says he's never ever had one of these plugs leak.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts