StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I added an Adventure Tech lowering kit/shifter relocation kit as the shift lever was too close to the pegs. With boots I would ride on road with, it worked great with no issue, but the shift lever was always a little low.

I bought new boots for better protection off road and the shift lever is definitely too low...I really have to point my foot to get my toe under it. I began to wonder if the linkage that was on the bike was actually too long (not stock). When I bought the bike it already had peg lowering kit on it (I broke the lowering bracket on the left side after I low sided on a logging road a while back., but that is another story).

Anyway, here are pictures. You will see I had used a sharpie to mark the position on shifter shaft before I took off and installed new adventure tech kit.

So am i correct in assuming this linkage is not stock and too long? Or did I just install incorrectly? Or was the position not correct when I bought the bike?

Thank you in advance for your help!

·
Vendor
5,646 Posts
Yes, that is not stock. And as configured in the photos, I'll bet it does not shift well. The angle of the push rod to the clevis arm (attached to the knurled shaft coming out of the transmission) needs to be close to 90 degrees.

And since it is adjusted as short as it can be without modification of the non-stock part you need to either replace it with the stock part or modify that non-stock part by making it shorter.

If it has both a left hand an right hand thread portion reduce the RH thread end of the tube to ensure that you can add more threads later with a tap if needed.

The stock parts are also available from parts houses.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, that is not stock. And as configured in the photos, I'll bet it does not shift well. The angle of the push rod to the clevis arm (attached to the knurled shaft coming out of the transmission) needs to be close to 90 degrees.

And since it is adjusted as short as it can be without modification of the non-stock part you need to either replace it with the stock part or modify that non-stock part by making it shorter.

If it has both a left hand an right hand thread portion reduce the RH thread end of the tube to ensure that you can add more threads later with a tap if needed.

The stock parts are also available from parts houses.

Thank you! I found exploded view later in the evening after posting and could see it was defiantly not stock. I put the clevis arm back on the way it was after installing the shift lever relocation kit. I will order stock parts as the parts look like they will work a great deal better.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it was me, I'd unscrew the rod remove the two lock nuts & set how close that got you.
Thanks for the suggestion. It is appreciated! I tried that one, didn't make enough room.

I ordered the stock linkage (really cheap) but it will not be here for almost two weeks (7 - 10 business days for shipping).

I am working on a fix and am fitting it soon (had to go to work so that stopped forward progress). I will post pics soon, looks like I got it. The stock linkage was less than $10, so a great back up or replacement if my solution does not work.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, so it is fixed for now!

From the pictue above, you can see the body of the linkage. It is aluminum and like a turnbuckle body...right hand thread on one side, left on the other. All thread on each side, respective thread orientations. I basically took the body, figured out how deep each all thread went and cut it down. The right hand thread side I cut a tad shorter as there was some space in the middle of the body with no threads and I had the right tap. The idea was to give enough threads to hold each all thread and be as short as possible.

I put the all thread back in a tested with clevis arm moved to a more proper kinda-close-to 90°...all good! I used the red thread locker of death on the body side of the threads for each all thread. Put her all back together, tested with my road and off-road boots, and voila!

Took her for a test run and much, much, much better. It shifts crisply and cleanly. I just assumed all this time the harder shift was just the way this gearbox was...not so much!

Thank you for your help!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts