StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I get hazed, no I don't put that crap in my tires. I did however buy a kit at Walmart that had a 12v compressor and a can of the aforementioned crap. Threw the can away, then installed my 12v outlet today. I let most of the air out of my tire and then fired the compressor up. After a couple minutes I stopped the compressor and checked my pressure. 40 PSI, holy cow that was fast. I let the air down to 16 psi, then timed the pump for 2 minutes, checked the PSI and it was at 36. All in all I'm extremely happy with my $12 purchase!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
3,411 Posts
I've used fix a flat in the past. Always carry it. I have had the can fail but also have had success. It can get you down the road to home or to a friendlier place. Not something to rely on though. Probably better saved for tube tires since they can require a little work to repair. It's nice to have options when traveling. In Baja I used it to limp into La Paz one night where I had my tire patched on the inside by the local experts. I would drive 20 miles and stop and give it a squirt and drive another 20 as it was losing pressure slowly. I remember they charged $7 for the repair. (1992 prices)

I've also donated my can to a motorcyclist who was looking for a way to help his buddy with a flat back at their campsite.

·
Registered
14,832 Posts
Nice to buy a quality Chinese product at Wally World, eh?
I watched in amusement as a fellow loaded up a tube tire and drove off with Flat Fix boiling out of his tire.
I like the worms for punctures.
I got a compressor at some Ace hardware store for 12 bucks with a 12 dollar rebate. How 'bout them, apples?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I put ride-on in the tires of all my vehicles - cars, bikes, ATVs, etc. I've never had any issues, and its worked at least once. I picked up a nail in the rear tire of my K1600 - didn't notice until I was getting ready to take the bike out again a couple days later, and tire pressure was still good. I replaced the tire, but it got me home.

·
Registered
817 Posts
ride-on works for us, too. i got a nail last year in rear tire on the vee, away from home. pulled nail out a bit and the ride-on started gurgling to seal. pushed nail back in. ordered a tire from a local shop, continued to ride bike gingerly 'til tire came in the next day.

i now have a hole in rear tire of the wee. the ride-on has oozed out super slowly for several weeks. i checked tire pressure today and down a few psi. i finally got around to ordering a tire for it this past weekend. Plus, the ride-on balances the tires nicely.

just got new tires for both vees, ordered and installed ride-on. :thumbup:

oh, and we tried using slime on an aero i had-fail. had to pay a guy to trailer it home, and was glad he was there to offer.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
Not to turn this into a Ride-on thread, but after the above experience, I did some research and went with ultra-seal. Never had a bad experience since, and the only plugging I have done was of a nail spotted in the tire in the garage, I.e., no air loss. And, perfect balance, no weights.

Alas, I don't think I can use ultra-seal on my new bike with tire pressure monitoring, and there is something like a 2oz. slug of lead on the rim opposite the TPS.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I use this kit along with that little Walmart tire Compressor

·
Registered
26 Posts
Alas, I don't think I can use ultra-seal on my new bike with tire pressure monitoring, and there is something like a 2oz. slug of lead on the rim opposite the TPS.
I'm not familiar with ultra-seal, but ride-on works fine with TPMS. My K1600 has factory TPMS, and I added a Doran system to my Wee.

I carry the same plug kit as Rick, along with a Slime compressor.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
I'm not familiar with ultra-seal, but ride-on works fine with TPMS. My K1600 has factory TPMS, and I added a Doran system to my Wee.

I carry the same plug kit as Rick, along with a Slime compressor.
Ultraseal Tire Sealant - Puncture Repair

Cool. The site says US can be used with tpms. Now, the question is do I want to inflict the mess on the dealer tech or keep changing my own tires. I think I'll wait a while before making that decision.

I carry a stop-an-go kit and slime compressor. Have used the plugs twice - once on my Wee once on a friends bike. No issues after many miles. Still, i think I'll try the Neely plugs next time I have reason to purchase. Highly recommended on a number of sites.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Will fix a flat work on a tube tire? I wouldn't think...

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have always refused to use any Slime/fix a flat/"insert other product name here" after having to change a few tires with that stuff in them. I used to work at a MC shop while in college and the shop I worked at charged another $15 to change a tire if we popped the bead and found that stuff in there. I HATED washing that stuff off the wheels/tires. I carry a plug kit, If that doesn't fix it I'll call for a ride from a 4 wheeled machine. (I also am not that into off roading with the Glee)

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
I know Ride-On doesn't make a mess. I've changed plenty of tires using it. It stays under the tread area.

·
Premium Member
3,411 Posts
Will fix a flat work on a tube tire? I wouldn't think...
Yes depending on the puncture size of course. Can make it difficult to get a patch to stick though if it doesn't work.

I have always refused to use any Slime/fix a flat/"insert other product name here" after having to change a few tires with that stuff in them. I used to work at a MC shop while in college and the shop I worked at charged another $15 to change a tire if we popped the bead and found that stuff in there. I HATED washing that stuff off the wheels/tires. I carry a plug kit, If that doesn't fix it I'll call for a ride from a 4 wheeled machine. (I also am not that into off roading with the Glee)
I understand....wouldn't want to deal with changing a tire with fix a flat mess An option to get you down the road though. As far far as calling someone, I've found that some of my favorite riding areas don't have cell signals. ...mountains and rural areas.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, regardless of what product you put in your tire, my main purpose for this thread was to highlight the compressor. It's a fast compressor and it was cheap.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
30 Posts
Aerosol

During my 700km off roader last month the front wheel rim got bent on a rock,was using a co2 cartridge every 5-10 kms,someone had a can of (?)gunk,and after using it the tyre was ok all the way home,I now carry one under the seat,lesson learned,as I would have been in trouble without it. And the tyre guy wasn't bothered about it when I told him.Our rims bend very easily

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
FWIW, as noted in my above-linked post, fix-a-flat states it is not for use in mc tires.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts