StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well mine came in the mail but with no instructions... I know, I know... who needs instructions?
Well, It came with screws and bolts.... I am thinking bolts are the answer. What have you all done to install them? Any tips on drilling the holes?
Should I remove my tire or use the install as an excuse to get the mate to the Anakee I put on the rear?
Thanks in advance...

Clueless

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Take off the tape. Get some ABS cleaner and cement from a plumbing place and cement it on. The two pieces will be welded together. Otherwise, Put a bead of black silicone around the edges and stick it on with the tape. Drill a hole on each side not too near the edge with a piece of sheet stock over the tire so the drill doesn't hit it when penetrating the fender. Then wipe off the excess silicone after affixing the bolts. If you don't use silicone, dirty water will drip from the inside of the fender onto the outside of the extender.

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
+1 for GW's advice on using cement.

As for removing the wheel, I don't recall what's involved but it does sound like it would make it a heckuva lot easier to get a proper and secure fit for the Extenda.

I removed my fenda to mount the Extenda. There are just a few bolts to undo but Heaven Help You if the captive bolts inside the fender decide to jump ship when you're reinstalling it and it seems impossible to get the fender between the forks without scuffing/scratching it (I might try using a cd/dvd scratch repair kit to buff out the marks).

Good Luck,

Martin

·
Registered
110 Posts
My last 2 fenda extendas were attached w/ Goop.

I sanded the mating surfaces and applied w/ goop. I like goop as it remains a bit flexible.

I tried to remove one of the extendas 2 years later and gave up due to fear of damage to fender.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Don't fear the scratches while putting the fender back on. During removal and install just slide a slippery thin piece of cloth between the fender and forks etc. As for the captive nuts falling out have no fear. Snug them in place using small squares of cardboard the same size as the nuts(corn flake box)to take up any space and they will stay in position very nicely.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Installed my Extenda last night without removing the fender. A little harder to clean but not bad. Used PVC cement and held in place by stuffing rags between the tire and fender (as read on another thread in this forum) It worked very well.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I used the factory tape. I made sure to clean the fender with rubbing alcohol to promote a good stick. I also ran a heavy bead of clear 100% silicon clauk around the entire fenda entender contact area. Held it inplace with rags.

I thought about going the pvc cement route but was chicken. If I f*&3ed it up it would be there for good.

·
38,048 Posts
The factory tape is just for placement purposes. It isn't strong enough. The added silicone may do the trick but I wouldn't trust it. Adding a strong tape such that almost the entire surface is covered is the way to go with tape.

·
38,048 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
The factory tape is just for placement purposes. It isn't strong enough. The added silicone may do the trick but I wouldn't trust it. Adding a strong tape such that almost the entire surface is covered is the way to go with tape.
I'll keep an eye on it coming loose. If it does start to loosen then I will move up to a rivit gun. One good thing about alumimum rivits is no rust.

·
Registered
29 Posts
video install

Well mine came in the mail but with no instructions... I know, I know... who needs instructions?
Well, It came with screws and bolts.... I am thinking bolts are the answer. What have you all done to install them? Any tips on drilling the holes?
Should I remove my tire or use the install as an excuse to get the mate to the Anakee I put on the rear?
Thanks in advance...

Clueless
if you visit this link http://www.dualsportbiketest.com/dsbt_videos.htm and click on the Holeshot install video we install the fenda extenda at the end of the video.

Andy

·
Registered
499 Posts
No problems with my Extenda, only used the tape it came with and the two self-tapping screws. Had it on for about 2k miles so far. I'll keep an eye on it since folks here suspect it might not be sufficient.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts