StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys , just wondered if it is possible to fit lowering links on my 2011 wee without having a centre stand ? I can't think how to do it so all advice will be gratefully received. Thanks...H.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Hey guys , just wondered if it is possible to fit lowering links on my 2011 wee without having a centre stand ? I can't think how to do it so all advice will be gratefully received. Thanks...H.
I don’t have a center stand either. I used a harbor freight come along attached to my garage rafters with a lifting strap attached to the bike sub frame under the seat. This way I could raise/lower the rear to align the link bolt holes. I have a picture if you'd like to see. I also use it for front end maintenance and oil changes. Fast and easy.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
168 Posts
I just removed the lowering links that came on my Wee and re-installed the stock links yesterday. My bike currently has no Centerstand so I also used a come-along hanging from rafters in the garage and some strong rope tied around the bikes grab handles on the rear to carefully lift the rear enough to do the job. I the carefully lifted the front of the bike to allow easier re-adjustment of the fork tubes back to their stock positions.

You just need to be careful and make sure your bike is balanced. Wouldn't hurt to have someone there to spot you just in case but if you do it right, you should be ok.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I just added lowering links to my bike this last week; I don't have a centerstand. I used harbor freight ratchet straps from the rafters to keep the bike from tipping side to side. I attached the ends to the crash bars.

To get the links installed, I used a jack under the bash plate near the back connection to take most of the weight off the back tire.

To raise the front forks, I used the a jack under the bash plate near the front to take most of the weight off the front tire. I did put the rear up on a paddock stand, but that was for added stability, probably didn't really need it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As i said my garage is completely drywalled and i don't think my wife would let me knock holes in the ceiling !!! Thanks anyway guys , guess i'll have to get a centre stand first...H.

·
Registered
691 Posts
First loosen the bolts enough so you won't have to use too much force later.
Secure the front with straps to something, so it won't fall over. Put a scissor jack with a 2X4, or other piece of wood (to protect the under carriage) under the rear. You should be able to get some blocks in there where the center stand goes. Lift just enough so the wheel is barely touching, with just the weight of the wheel assembly on the deck.
Minor adjustments of the jack will help to align the bolts.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,047 Posts
People have even put down cushions and laid the bike on its right side. Don't lay it down on the left or oil will run into the airbox.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First loosen the bolts enough so you won't have to use too much force later.
Secure the front with straps to something, so it won't fall over. Put a scissor jack with a 2X4, or other piece of wood (to protect the under carriage) under the rear. You should be able to get some blocks in there where the center stand goes. Lift just enough so the wheel is barely touching, with just the weight of the wheel assembly on the deck.
Minor adjustments of the jack will help to align the bolts.
That'a good advice right there ! I am going to try that. thanks 'Solo'...H.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,047 Posts
I wouldn't want to hang a bike from anything screwed into the bottom of a joist with a single screw. Take a look at load ratings.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Just buy some swingarm bobbins/spools and a paddock stand and be done with it. You'll use it for cleaning, chain lubing and if like me leave the bike on the stand when parked up in the garage (takes up less room when completely vertical).

·
Registered
168 Posts
Just buy some swingarm bobbins/spools and a paddock stand and be done with it. You'll use it for cleaning, chain lubing and if like me leave the bike on the stand when parked up in the garage (takes up less room when completely vertical).
You sure that's going to work for the task the OP wants to accomplish? Think about it :confused:.

·
Registered
454 Posts
As i said my garage is completely drywalled and i don't think my wife would let me knock holes in the ceiling !!! Thanks anyway guys , guess i'll have to get a centre stand first...H.
Here's my set up. Pre-drill, use the appropriate lag bolts, D-ring, and add a cross member if needed.

Attachments

·
Registered
639 Posts
You sure that's going to work for the task the OP wants to accomplish? Think about it :confused:.
That's what I use to change my links. I use a scissor jack or normal bike jack to take up the 'slack' under the bash plate or where the center stand mounts. Easy, I changed my links twice in the last 6 months, and I do it myself without an extra pair of hands or dangling from the roof :confused:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Guys i'm just going to order a centre stand.Seems to me it would be safer in the end, thanks to everyone for input and ideas....H.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts