StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone fitted barkbusters to the 2012 V-strom...I'm having a little trouble (but just on the left side).

It appears that the left control unit (with the blinkers/lights/etc) is in a fixed position (there is a small hole in the handle bars and a little plastic nub on the control unit that prevents you from placing it anywhere else on the handlebars. Without the ability to move it over a little I can't get the barkbusters to fit.

Anyone else had this problem?

Just successfully fitted the SW-Motech centre stand, skid plate and crash bars! It's almost ready!

·
Registered
305 Posts
The trick is to cut the little plastic nub off the back of the control unit. Then move it where ever you like. If the control assembly move afterwards, just add layers of electrical tape (to increase the diameter where the control assembly fits) to the bar until it doesn't move anymore.

You have to do this when you put aftermarket alloy bars on a dirt bike too.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I changed my handlebars to protaper atv mid bars so I cut off that little knub that lets me move the controls and I could get the bark busters bolted on however they would not clear the instruments no matter which way I adjusted them , so just make sure you check your clearence at full lock. They may work with the stock bars but not with the protapers. I bought the Suzuki hand guards and they worked fine just not as much crash protection.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I found the same problem as poster # 1. I was able to get the Barkbusters installed without modifying anything. Tight, but it did fit. HB

·
Registered
176 Posts
I found the same problem as poster # 1. I was able to get the Barkbusters installed without modifying anything. Tight, but it did fit. HB
The sweep in the stock bars must bring the guards back enough to clear the instruments..I need less sweep for wrist comfort which moves the guards too close..

·
Registered
48 Posts
Can someone please post pics of the Barkbusters on the stock handlebars or on aftermarket protaper bars?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your help!

Cut the little nub on the control unit and shifted everything across. Also had to cut around 15mm off my grip (oxford heated grips). Even after that it was still super tight - my clutch his the control unit when I pull it in a little.

Here are some photos...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
I also managed to fit barkbusters.

You need to get the bars further back or you'll hit the screen.
Protaper SE's rotated well back worked for me.

The controls are shifted in about an inch from the ends of the bars as well.

Pete

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi HB, would you mind posting a pic of your barkbuster fitment please? From rider side to show mounting etc. if possible. Many thanks.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Hi HB, would you mind posting a pic of your barkbuster fitment please? From rider side to show mounting etc. if possible. Many thanks.
I'm sorry to bring back an old thread, but has anybody else put these on or have pics of the mounting?

·
Registered
635 Posts
I have them on mine, here's a few pics.

They've already paid for themselves when I dropped it the garage, the right BB bar got bent, but no damage on the bike! I need to pull it off and see if I can straighten it in a vice. I also might paint the bars black as I'm not crazy about the aluminum color.

I've got the VPS plastic with them. I think I'll get the Storm plastic for the winter, but the VPS does do a good job of keeping almost all the wind off my hands.

The mounting was a bit tight, especially over by the clutch cable. I had to loosen and fiddle with the controls some, but it all did fit OK, just took some tweaking. I'd still like to twist them forward a hair more.

I painted the white BB logo black as it was a bit much before....

Note the bent bar, it's supposed to be straight...

·
Registered
318 Posts
No pics but put on a set of SW Motech Barkbusters yesterday (made by Barkbusters in OZ)They fit.No modifications or adjustments required.:thumbup:

·
Registered
652 Posts
I have them on mine, here's a few pics.

They've already paid for themsleves when I dropped it the garage, the right BB bar got bent, but no damage on the bike! I need to pull it off and see if I can straighten it in a vice. I also might paint the bars black as I'm not crazy about the aluminum color.

I've got the VPS plastic with them. I think I'll get the Storm plastic for the winter, but the VPS does do a good job of keeping almost all the wind off my hands.

The mounting was a bit tight, especially over by the clutch cable. I had to loosen and fiddle with the controls some, but it all did fit OK, just took some tweaking. I'd still like to twist them forward a hair more.

I painted the white BB logo black as it was a bit much before....
]
Seems like everything is really quite close, depending on who installed the factory stuff. I was thinking about the OEM ones, but if I put some on I'd rather have them protect the bike as well. Probably will wait till fall, when the temperature drops. I like the wind during the warm summer days.

Also, how do you like that adjustable spoiler thing on your windscreen?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Seems like everything is really quite close, depending on who installed the factory stuff. I was thinking about the OEM ones, but if I put some on I'd rather have them protect the bike as well. Probably will wait till fall, when the temperature drops. I like the wind during the warm summer days.

Also, how do you like that adjustable spoiler thing on your windscreen?
I was going to get the OEM guards as the price is about half the BB's and I was mostly interested in wind protection, but I stopped myself.

I also wanted to get something so that when I drop the bike (not if), I want something to help protect the bike. I didn't think I'd find out so soon that would happen.

If I had the OEM guards on there, surely the right one would have broken and possibly other bike parts might have touched the ground.

That spoiler in the windshield is kind of useless, although it does change the flow of the air, I mostly keep it up and out. The rest of the screen is nice at 20.3" tall, gives me plenty of options with the Madstad.

Check out the windshield thread (the only one!) for more info!

·
Registered
652 Posts
I was going to get the OEM guards as the price is about half the BB's and I was mostly interested in wind protection, but I stopped myself.

I also wanted to get something so that when I drop the bike (not if), I want something to help protect the bike. I didn't think I'd find out so soon that would happen.

If I had the OEM guards on there, surely the right one would have broken and possibly other bike parts might have touched the ground.

That spoiler in the windshield is kind of useless, although it does change the flow of the air, I mostly keep it up and out. The rest of the screen is nice at 20.3" tall, gives me plenty of options with the Madstad.

Check out the windshield thread (the only one!) for more info!

Hah, I like how you say 'when' not 'if'. I've dropped both other motorcycles I've owned once (both Suzuki too!). If you don't drop it at least once, then it's never truly broken-in, right? :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I have the BarkBusters on my '12 and liked the Acerbis on my '07 better -- better weather protection. I'll be moving them over since I still have the old bike. I'm not gonna sell the '07 until I'm completely happy with the '12. Not there yet, but getting there. Biggest hurdle is new seat -- arriving Thursday from Kontour.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Sounds like u got some good answers but if u still have problems pm me. I am going to twisted throttle Monday to have stud installed I live 20 min away. . I can ask.

1 - 20 of 157 Posts