StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'm a dork. It's raining out and I just got my new (closeout) Kathmandu Jacket to go with the Kathmandu pants ... so I had to go for a ride.

Man, that's a lot of jacket. Somewhat heavy but super technical. I can't believe how fun --and warm-- it was riding around in the 60 degree drizzle and rain. I've had the pants for a while and it took me a few weeks to feel comfortable with the knee pads. I even demo'ed them with the new D30 pads since that's one of the upgrades for '12 -- didn't make a difference, IMO.

All I can say (beside that I'm a dork for going out in the rain for no particular reason) is that it was super fun, and the Kathmandu stuff is awesome. So there!

pmk

·
Registered
163 Posts
Where did you buy them from? Local shop here still wants 319 for the jacket. I cant find any mediums online for cheap:thumbdown:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Sound like a good idea. I mean you have to know if this stuff really works. Better to find out when your only a few miles from home than out in the middle of nowhere in a monsoon. I bought a Moto-X jacket and pants earlier this spring and I'd have done the same if it would every rain in Texas again.:biggrin5:

·
Registered
503 Posts
Quick review

Check Motorcycle closeouts.com, but be warned, I just got done with my order I ordered the large because the folks online said that they run big. I got the large and it was all around too small. really nice built jacket but too small. I had to pay the shipping to get it back and that set me back $17.00 so my closeout deal wasn't so good. I got a XL and it fits good. I'm 6'1" and 220 and not what you would call real fat, but not skinny. this coat is cut for slimmer folks so if your not an Olympic swimmer then check out the Kilimanjaro instead. the snaps for the collar were too tight on the large but just right on the XL. My neck size is about 14-15 so not too far out of norm? Best bet is to go and try one on or deal with a vendor that has a real good return policy. Looks to be a good jacket overall. Don't think I'll be using that water bag though. I've got the pants and the knee pads don't fit well and there's no adjustment. just a FYI.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Love my Kat jacket. Use it nearly all year. With the liner out and the vents open it is okay except in the hottest weather. With the liner in keeps me warm down to below 40. Beyond that it is time for the heated jacket under the coat. As far as in the rain, it has never leaked a drop. The only place I get wet at all in the front of my neck since I don't like to zip it all the way up as I don't like anything tight around my neck. My wife does zip hers all the way up and snap the collar and gets no rain in the front of hers at all. Have never tried the pants as I have other rain pants I use that work well for me.

As far as protection, last spring, my wife went down hard on pavement and was glad she had the coat on. The front of the jacket was all torn up, but better the jacket than her skin. She would of been hurt a lot worse without the jacket. The only down side to this jacket has to do with her wreck. Her coat was less than a year old when she had the wreck. If you check the First Gear web site, they say they have some sort of free repair/replacement if one of their coats was damaged from a wreck. Good I thought, don't have to buy a new one. Called First Gear and was told that only goes for their expensive coats, not for the Kathmandu coat as it is not their top of the line coat. Too bad they would not replace it for free, but still went out and bought her a new one just like the old one as it is that good of coat.

As far as the camel back, I don't use mine as it makes the coat pull back and I don't like the feel. However, my wife uses hers all the time and loves the camel back on her coat. The sort of funny thing about her camel back (funny now after the fact) was with her wreck. When I realized she was not behind me, I turned around and rode back to look for her. Found her on the ground about 20 feet past her now sleeping wee. Started first aid and soon saw liquid starting to pool beside her. At first thought it was blood but soon figured it out it was water leaking from her camel back. Was glad it was water and not blood.

Anyway, love the coat and recommend it to anyone.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Got 2 sets for me and one for the wife, Motorsycle superstor had the jackets for $188 and the pants for $125 . they had a limited supply and I lucked out and got a early notice.:mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
2,988 Posts
Motorcyclegear.com (the old New Enough) had em cheap also......$199 for the jacket, $129 for the britches, plus free shipping........but most of the sizes are out of stock for the 2011 models. They are advertising the 2012 models at the regular prices ($319 + $199), due out in mid-November. They do look different from last year's apparel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts