StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Just ordered one from New Enough and was wondering if any fellow stromers had any experience with it???

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, since no one has one and no one knows about them. Then, I will be sure to keep the collective posted about mine, once it gets here.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I ordered mine on Friday, got here yesterday. Looks real nice. Fits OK. Had to run kids this morning so did not get to use it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Had the Denali for 4 days and I love it!! Great fit, the armor is snug and yet unnoticeable while riding. The temp. has been between 42F - 80F and no rain. I do not think the insulated liner will do much under 40F, which is OK since I have fleece under liners. I can not wait for rain, to see if it stays in the "love it" category.

·
Registered
334 Posts
let us know.

this is the first and, i bet, last time i'll hear a rider say "i cannot wait for rain."

·
Registered
984 Posts
First Gear

I Just ordered one from New Enough and was wondering if any fellow stromers had any experience with it???
I have two different First Gear jackets but am not aware of the Denali model. I love their gear and took both jackets with me on a trip out west Sept. of '06. Gonna go to thier website now and check out the Denali.

·
Registered
800 Posts
If I ride my bike tomorrow, I'll find out how it fairs in the rain!

·
Registered
800 Posts
Rode the half hour into work in a steady rain. Jacket leaks near the left breast pocket, or vent. Both zippers were closed. Only leaked enough to get my shirt damp, although it did get the liner fairly wet.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Had one for several months now, very happy with it. No leaks despite some 7-8 hour days in heavy rain. Not quite warm enough below 5C in the rain, without adding another light fleece, but I'd counted on that anyway. Have used in as warm as 25C, vents are adequate. Had one slow-speed get-off (heavy rain on a slick 1-lane wooden bridge), padding worked sufficiently well that I had no bruises and no obvious scars on the jacket.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Sturgeon, glad yours does not leak. In a light rain on the way home tonight mine still leaks near the left breast pocket.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
I'm looking at the FirstGear TPG Escape Textile Pants. Higher end armor, but only zip to the knees. Anyone have them? Trying to decide on those versus the Olympia Ranger II pants.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I rode through some light rain, no leeks. The Wife and I rode to Branson last Sunday. Temperature got up to 84F, in bumper to bumper traffic, and I did not over heat in the Denali. I am still stoked about it!

·
Registered
800 Posts
I will be contacting Newenough on the leak in the pocket area.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will be contacting Newenough on the leak in the pocket area.
That is exactly what I would do. Rode to and from work in the rain and no leaks. It is also 42F out and I did not get cold. Love it!!!

·
Registered
800 Posts
I have to ship it back, and then a new one will be sent out. It is cold to be without it!. Will be going out UPS tomorrow.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have to ship it back, and then a new one will be sent out. It is cold to be without it!. Will be going out UPS tomorrow.
Good call, hope you have something to hold you over till the new one arrives.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Newenough is great to deal with.

Re FirstGear I've had two of their jackets. One got destroyed in a 60 mph crash and slide, but it saved my skin. I still have a great FG leather jacket. However, these jackets are older and all their new stuff (maybe since they got bought out by the new company that owns them?) is only 330 denier. That's not enough to provide any sort of decent protection in a slide. Minimum is 500 and ideally 600 with double that on places like elbows or knees and butt on pants. I wouldn't buy FG anymore. They also do not advertise use of Cordura anymore but something they call Hypertek, and they give no abrasion resistance testing figures for it. Among textiles (excluding kevlar blends, which are even better than Cordura), there really isn't anything that matches Cordura, which has twice the abrasion resistance of other ballistic nylons.

Regrettably, most of the clothing manufacturers are not using Cordura, but some like BMW, Aerostich, Motoport and Teknic still do.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Newenough is great to deal with.

Re FirstGear I've had two of their jackets. One got destroyed in a 60 mph crash and slide, but it saved my skin. I still have a great FG leather jacket. However, these jackets are older and all their new stuff (maybe since they got bought out by the new company that owns them?) is only 330 denier. That's not enough to provide any sort of decent protection in a slide. Minimum is 500 and ideally 600 with double that on places like elbows or knees and butt on pants. I wouldn't buy FG anymore. They also do not advertise use of Cordura anymore but something they call Hypertek, and they give no abrasion resistance testing figures for it. Among textiles (excluding kevlar blends, which are even better than Cordura), there really isn't anything that matches Cordura, which has twice the abrasion resistance of other ballistic nylons.

Regrettably, most of the clothing manufacturers are not using Cordura, but some like BMW, Aerostich, Motoport and Teknic still do.
My 500 denier "Hypertek" Denali has survived a couple of get-offs without so much as a visible mark. On either the jacket or me :D

·
Registered
800 Posts
I just haven't been able to get the jacket sent back!. I like it a lot. Very nice this morning driving past all the frost and being toasty. I don't even have the liners in my HT overpants yet.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts