StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 DL650 that's coming up on its 14,500 mile valve clearance check. I contacted a service department and spoke to their mechanic, who advised me that they didn't recommend the first valve check at that mileage interval; that his shop's experience had been that they always just opened the bike, found everything was fine, and just buttoned them up again. His opinion was that, unless the customer was noting some sort of problem, it wasn't necessary at that point. He didn't feel the check was necessary until around 40 to 50 thousand miles, and felt that a valve check at the recommended mileage was just a way to lighten the customer's wallet. He did quote me what I felt was a reasonable price to do the check.

I've read varying opinions on here about the necessity of a valve check at 14,500 miles, but has anyone here ever encountered a service department that has made a recommendation like this? Though naturally, I appreciate that the service department isn't trying to squeeze every last drop of money out of a customer.....

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
All bikes wear differently so it's just a recommendation.

I know how to do it myself so that's what I do. When I feel like it.

Not bad advice really. BUT some bikes may need it on day one!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
If you notice a problem, the valves and seats are probably already burned. My preference is to do the first check on time, adjust any on the tight side to the middle to wide end of the spec and then do a longer interval. I want to see that everything is good before extending the interval.

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
What interval do you follow for the second valve check? And, just in case I tried to do this myself, is the tutorial on Black Lab's website for valve adjustment the same for a 2012 DL650?

·
38,048 Posts
What interval do you follow for the second valve check?
If everything is middle to wide, especially the exhaust side, I figure I'm good for at least another 50,000 miles on a 650.

·
Registered
125 Posts
If you notice a problem, the valves and seats are probably already burned. My preference is to do the first check on time, adjust any on the tight side to the middle to wide end of the spec and then do a longer interval. I want to see that everything is good before extending the interval.
I think this is the best advice. If you were to notice something, it has probably already caused a problem. When I adjusted mine, they were all to the tight side, which is bad. Too tight and you are burning valve seats.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I didn't do valves on my 2007 until 50,000 miles, and they were fine. At 75,000 miles now, and they have never been adjusted.

I'm at 19,000 on my 2013 and I don't plan on doing them until 50-60k. Maybe not even then, honestly.

Obviously opinions vary.

·
38,048 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
On my Vee, I had 1 tight exhaust valve on the rear cylinder. It was just a hair under clearance and I replaced the shim, but probably could have lived at that clearance a long time. My Triumph Sprint ST had the 12K valve check and they were all within spec. For me, I'll do the check, just so I sleep better at night, but I've heard others who didn't do valve checks until 50K+ and they were within spec.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
Check the valves. If they are in spec, it wasn't necessary.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts