StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey Canadian Strommers,

New to the gang, thought I should say hello to the rest of the Canucks on the site. Rode my newly purchased 2007 wee home from bayfield to north of Owen Sound last Friday. Got to ride dry but cool. Love the bike! Just getting back into riding after a 20 year hiatus, hope to put on tons of klicks next year.

Great site, great people, happy to be along for the ride.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Welcome Back

Welcome back to the saddle.

I too just got back in 5 years ago after the 20 year 'kid' hiatus. The wee/V is an awesome unit.

Enjoy,
Dennes

·
Registered
700 Posts
welcome!
Heres hoping we have a few more riding days this year although you get a lot of lake effect snow up there. Spent a couple of days in your area following a trip around Manitoulin this summer, stopped at a great bike friendly b and b in Lions Head.
ken

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Tom, The ride was great! This bike passes my expectations in every department. I bought a 1983 650 Yamaha maxim last year to reintroduce myself, anything on 2 wheels is better than 4, but no comparison to the strom.

Can't wait for next spring.

Chris

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Chef, welcome aboard.

Just getting back into riding after a 20 year hiatus
What training is available where you are at for a returning rider? Really. It will be a big help and a big safety plus. And the new gear...don't spend money on gear until you ask here what is both safe and fairly priced for what you'll get. Both the safety and the comfort of modern gear is much better than 20 years ago.

Chef, how about a recipe or technique forum, or maybe just help for frustrated cooks needing something interesting for dinner...? We'll pay you back with how-to maintenance tips.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hello PTRider,
Thanks for the concern, I took the Canada Safety council course, the one that advances new riders through the graduated licence system. Turns out I had a few bad habits to break. I'm takin' it slow and easy. As for cooking, I've done it for 37 years professionally. Once employment slows up in the winter, I'll work on learning how to use this site, and will definitely help people if I can, it seems an excellent thing to do, and any return advice would be a bonus.

Cheers,
Chris

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello Ken,

Got snow the last 2 days, maybe it for the year. Glad you liked my neck of the woods, definitely some nice rides. Hope to see you on the road next spring.

Chris

·
Registered
710 Posts
Got snow the last 2 days, maybe it for the year. Glad you liked my neck of the woods, definitely some nice rides. Hope to see you on the road next spring.

Chris
Welcome aboard your new ride and this forum. I'm hoping for another few rides yet before the snow. Hopefully see you next year.

Marc

·
Administrator
13,569 Posts
Hey Tom, The ride was great! This bike passes my expectations in every department. I bought a 1983 650 Yamaha maxim last year to reintroduce myself, anything on 2 wheels is better than 4, but no comparison to the strom.

Can't wait for next spring.

Chris
Glad you love it!

Curious where you are a chef? My fiancée's daughter is a chef.

..Tom

·
Registered
748 Posts
Hey Chris!
Welcome to stromtrooper!
I am NE of Wiarton,and usually keep some strom spare parts around.Have most of the tools you would need too if you dont have em...
Hopefully get out for a ride with you sometime!:mrgreen:
Steve

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Steve!
I live just off the island view drive, below Kemble. You've probably been past my house. Thanks for the offers of parts and tools, for sure we'll ride in the new season. Glad to be here!

Chris

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Glad you love it!

Curious where you are a chef? My fiancée's daughter is a chef.

..Tom
Tom, Sorry about the delay, I go for days off-line. I have been chef at a private, exclusive hunting and shooting club situated on an island in Georgian Bay for the last 17 years. Ever since I was a sort of young guy.

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
The thrill perseveres.

Welcome, chefbiker. My Wee-Strom has 75500 miles on it, and I still find the bike thrilling and delightful. I have explored a lot of Ontario with it, including Owen Sound and Manitoulin Island. It may be news to you that M.S. Chi-Cheemaun Ferry is very cordial to motorcycles, so you'll have an easy ride to the North Shore, when you want to go that way.

Last time I went south on the Mackinac Bridge, the right lane was easier to
ride than the left lane, because of different corrugations on the steel spans.

Of course the Ontario Stromtroopers are more familiar with your roads than I can be. I find them to be a cordial lot, and worth considerable effort to join, from time to time. Please remember that Ontario roads, in early spring, retain a lot of the sand that was spread to improve traction in the winter. Almost mid-way through spring, there may be a "jail-break" ride, perhaps starting at Barrie.

Maybe I will attend this ride, for a fourth time. Maybe you will too.
If we are both there, I will give you a fresh orange.

Keith

·
Registered
984 Posts
Greetings!

Our Posse, the POBPP, Pathetic Old Bastards Pie Posse (Motto: Ride to Eat, Eat to Ride) is meeting at the fire pit at Coffee Culture in Ellicottville, NY noonish tomorrow. Any Canuckian Strommers are welcome to join us for java swilling and lie swapping. Cigar smoking optional.:yesnod:

·
Registered
700 Posts
Chris
Will definately be back in your area next summer. Just cleaned up and parked the bike for the winter today, so much salt has been dumped in my area and the roads have been icy. Another consideration for you may be some dirt training. Check out www dot trailtour dot com. This is in the Ganaraska park area nearby Peterborough and comes very highly recommended, bike and all gear provided. They even work with unlicensed and untrained riders and children placing them in a separate group. I intend to take the dual sport course in the spring, have ridden extensively in gravel but not in dirt and this training should assist in unfavourable conditions on the wee.
Ken

1 - 17 of 17 Posts