StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Too bad it had to be on the strom and not the crappy beginner cruiser i had before. Slow speed (3 or 5 mph) slide on gravel trying to do a panic stop. Just fell over to the left side like a sack of potatoes. Left side plastics messed up, turn signal, the plastic around the headlight, the plastic under the headlights, front fender, and the whole nose area tilted to the left (must be a bent metal thing-a-ma-bob), and of course that gear shift toe piece broke off. Who new so much damage could be incurred!

Bike seems to ride okay (rode 2 minutes to work and will be riding to shop after work).

Hit my shoulder (armored leather jacket), helmet (scratch on helmet), and sneaker (regular basketball sneaker), and hip. Only hip feels anything and it feels like a bruise.

Right before the incident I remember thinking.. wow what a pain in the ass it is to ride in this hot hot weather with all this crap on (i was also wearing a back protector)....wouldn't it be nicer in a t-shirt!

Just gonna let insurance handle this... I'm thinking the cost will be much more than my $500 deductible.

S

·
0 Posts
Sorry to hear that but at least you are not injured badly....Before you rush to get it fixed go back out and play in the gravel and practise slow speed and panic stops.
Is there such a thing as a "panic stop" in gravel? How does that work?

OP: bikes are replaceable, you are not. Glad it wasn't worse.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Is there such a thing as a "panic stop" in gravel? How does that work?

You would have to ask the OP how that works...Second sentence in his post was:
"Slow speed (3 or 5 mph) slide on gravel trying to do a panic stop."

I figure if he is going to do whatever they are he may want to get some practice in before he fixes the bike.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I never ride with anything less than an ankle covering boot on. No matter the weather.
Glad to hear you are ok.
Also, I would go out and practice panic stops too. I know it's hard after you gable gone down but try it.
Sorry about the bike.
But sneakers oa bike are bad news. I just saw a guy mess his foot up wearing converse. But they look cool eh? Lol
:yikes:

·
Registered
96 Posts
And buy a pair of boots. Just sayin'..... ;-)

Mike
I agree. We all know how bad sneakers are, but just to further prove the point: I recently witnessed a left hand turner take out a fellow on his SV. I watched the rider fly through the air a total of about 20 feet before he came to a thud on the pavement. He was wearing sneakers. I spent 40 minutes on scene and still never found his missing shoe. Imagine what that'd be like if he had gone sliding, ankle bone grinding on asphalt. Buy some boots.

Gear nazi done.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the full story

I was in a lane that was going to veer off to the left, but I needed to go straight. So I needed to move over into the lane on my right. Up ahead there was a triangular curb splitting the lanes going straight from the lanes going to the left. I slowed down and put my blinker on to move over. The person on the right sped up so I couldn't move over. I slowed down even more hoping that the person on the right would keep going but he seemed to only speed up enough to block me. At this point I am going really slow.. like 3 or 5mph... and I realize that this isn't gonna happen. Now I'm really close to the triangular curb, and I would like to just go left but I am going so slow that I don't feel comfortable just leaning and gassing, so in a "panic" I decide to stop but underfoot there was something loose... maybe gravel... or maybe some form of tiny gravel.. just something loose and when i braked I slid.

I made a ton of mistakes obviously. The biggest one from my perspective was being indecisive about what to do..... I should have probably just avoided the whole situation by calmly going left when I saw that car speed up.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I made a ton of mistakes obviously. The biggest one from my perspective was being indecisive about what to do..... I should have probably just avoided the whole situation by calmly going left when I saw that car speed up.
Some experience comes from making mistakes. Glad you're OK

·
Registered
95 Posts
Some experience comes from making mistakes. Glad you're OK
"Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement."

Shake it off and learn from it. More importantly, get back on the bike! Glad you're relatively unharmed. Even slow speed drops can do some damage.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I was in a lane that was going to veer off to the left, but I needed to go straight. So I needed to move over into the lane on my right. Up ahead there was a triangular curb splitting the lanes going straight from the lanes going to the left. I slowed down and put my blinker on to move over.
That was your big mistake right there. NEVER give a cager a chance to block or cut you off. Turn signals just give them the opportunity. Next time: gas it and cut the ****er off. Keep some ball bearings in your pocket or tank bag for punative damages...in case they blow their horn or flip you off.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
That was your big mistake right there. NEVER give a cager a chance to block or cut you off. Turn signals just give them the opportunity. Next time: gas it and cut the ****er off. Keep some ball bearings in your pocket or tank bag for punative damages...in case they blow their horn or flip you off.
C'mon man, even in jest you shouldn't be giving advice like that.

S

·
0 Posts
C'mon man, even in jest you shouldn't be giving advice like that.
I hear 'ya about the punitive damages part, but there's a lot to be said for taking advantage of the acceleration of a bike vs. that of a car.

I feel much, MUCH, safer when they're getting smaller in my mirrors than when I'm doing the, "no, you go... no, YOU go... no, YOU - GO!" thing.. the "right of way" dance. I'll take the opening and get the flap outta there to someplace where they can't hurt me.

Not meant to apply to OP's situation, just sayin'.

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
Lots of "coulda, shoulda, woulda's" but that's the past now, no good blaming yourself, learn from it.

Next time:
Wear-
Boots
Gloves
Jacket (get a mesh summer one, that's what I've got for hot days)
Long pants/jeans at minimum

Next time:
Buffer (keep as much clear space around you in traffic as possible)
Don't argue with idiot drivers (take the safest escape route even if it means you have to miss your turn off, better to arrive late than not at all)

The don't use indicators idea is something to consider as we have the same attitude by drivers here, indicate you are changing lanes and 9 out of 10 try to block you out.
Forget the ball bearings, you will crash in to the back of someone else while you are trying to get them out of your pocket to retaliate against the idiot behind you.

Best of all, just leave the mofo's behind, because on a bike you can.

I can't believe the number of scooter riders here in Oz who wear shorts/skirts/sandals/singlets/tank tops.
No protective gear at all, do they think the bitumen won't damage their bodies because they are not on a "real" motorbike?

I have been taken out twice by cars over the years and managed to keep the bike upright both times, although ended up on a nature strip in one case and up a driveway in the other one.
Bikes damaged in both cases but rideable, bruised leg both times, the first time it happened I was still white and shaking an hour and a half later (the tree I missed by three inches was f***ing huge).

I'm guessing you have a Vee not a Wee, ABS can often be the difference between a "stopped" and a "dropped".

Glad you are basically unscathed, the bike can be repaired.

Get back on it, you are a more "experienced" rider now than you were a few days ago and you have a story to tell over a beer or two now.
:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I am not a fan of ABS on gravel. On the slab it is fantastic. Boots are a good thing. I have a fused surgically repaired left ankle as a result of saving on footwear. I too hate the term panic stop it implies out of control, in gravel I have had the best success with rear brake only and very gentle front, I never use more than 2 fingers to prevent grabbing a fistful of the front.

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
I am not a fan of ABS on gravel. On the slab it is fantastic. Boots are a good thing. I have a fused surgically repaired left ankle as a result of saving on footwear. I too hate the term panic stop it implies out of control, in gravel I have had the best success with rear brake only and very gentle front, I never use more than 2 fingers to prevent grabbing a fistful of the front.
ABS for general dirt riding can be a pain when you want to lock the rear to instigate a slide for cornering but for steering and braking to avoid an object or to stop as quick as possible in an emergency on dirt I think it is still the best option.

For dirt riding ABS that can be switched off is good, although I would like a bike that has ABS on the front wheel only for dirt so the back can still be locked but the front won't lock and dump you on the ground.

I have a mate who has a fused left ankle after he slipped in to a linkage mounted superphosphate spreader on the back of a tractor and basically almost tore his foot off, I understand the surgery you went through and it's not fun.

·
Premium Member
3,123 Posts
Lets just hope you never hear the words "high side".....

Maybe take one of those awesome rider courses at the local community college....they'll really make you feel like you buttered your bread properly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Glad you're OK. Bad news about the bike, but plastic is easier to replace than human body parts. I always try to keep as much of a buffer zone around me that I can, but sometimes the cages sneak up on me. I'm probably alive due to the fact that I view cages as "out to get me". Cell phones have improved this situation as well as any other.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts