StromTrooper banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
This ^
They only trap ferrous metal. I typically get some black sludge stuck to my magnets, but that's it. Under a microscope that sludge probably looks pretty nasty though, rough and ragged particles. Since they're more likely to cause damage to other surfaces than soft metals I'd rather they not be circulating in any amount. Anything non-ferrous I have to rely on the filter to catch.
This is all my personal preference/opinion of course. I'm not going to make up numbers to try and push my point. I truly despise people who make up lies to push their own agenda/opinion/politics so I won't do it.
For the record I also like to put magnets inside the fuel tank near the pump pickup to catch small ferrous particles before they can get into the fuel system I use magnets out of old computer hard disk drives. Don't listen to anyone claiming the magnets change the fuel in any way (yes I've seen products that claim that), they're just there to catch hard ferrous particles and sooth my mild paranoia, nothing more.
We used magnets throughout food processing systems. Anything other than the fuzzy sludge (trace amounts of fine metal shavings) was cause for concern. Metal to metal contact in any system is gonna wear. Ferrous will of course be attracted by magnets, other materials will not.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
We used magnets throughout food processing systems. Anything other than the fuzzy sludge (trace amounts of fine metal shavings) was cause for concern. Metal to metal contact in any system is gonna wear. Ferrous will of course be attracted by magnets, other materials will not.
Yep, I worked on a number of metal detectors and electromagnets in food processing plants.
Catching the fuzzy sludge is good, it's that much less to block the filter, but the magnet will also catch lumpy bits, and THOSE I want to know about before they go wandering around the gearbox with the splash oiling.

Reactions: D.T.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
I had a magnetic drain plug on my last couple of bikes. Never had anything stuck to them. Don't know what they are supposed to accomplish really.
I usually see like a paste of magnetic material usually. Very fine. On a good motor that is. ;)

·
Administrator
17,094 Posts
Every Strom I have owned has a magnetic tip drain plug.

Reactions: Oldiebut goodie

·
Registered
238 Posts
...do you mean they come stock with a magnet as stock from the mother ship?
Hell that right there means they are better than BMW. Why?... because bmw comes with magnet drain plug, but bmw still breaks down ( alot) .... lmao

·
Registered
238 Posts
I would never say magnetic drain plugs are useless. While there is a great deal of non-ferrous metal that can be in solution, there can also be ferrous. The ferrous is much harder and can have a more pronounced grinding/ cutting effect. I certainly don't want that in there!

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Holy carp. That magnet may throw off the crank sensor signal. :oops:
It's just a magnet, not a quantum singularity.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I compared the Dimple to the stock plug in the video I posted.
There was a magnetic plug in my Beemer gearbox when I got it as well. Weak arsed POS it was. I replaced all three (engine, gearbox, and final drive) as soon as I could.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Also note: chains do NOT stretch, they wear. The critical wear is in the pins and bushes inside the pivots, but the rollers and the outside of the pivots wear as well.
Actually, chains DO stretch. The pins and rollers wear increasing the distance between links. When a chain is worn it will ride up higher on the sprocket teeth.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Actually, chains DO stretch. The pins and rollers wear increasing the distance between links. When a chain is worn it will ride up higher on the sprocket teeth.
Read what you wrote. Slowly. You just straight up contradicted yourself and proved my point.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts

Chains elongate, tolerances increase because of wear.
Stretching implies that material is elastic.

As sprockets wear they become hooked because the longer chain widens the gap at the bottom of the teeth. The longer chain drags out of gap and wears the teeth into a hook shape. Wear occurs from the bottom up.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Read what you wrote. Slowly. You just straight up contradicted yourself and proved my point.
In the manual itself, you are told to measure the distance between 20 pitches and ensure the measurement is below 12.57 inches. IE: The chain has stretched across links.

·
Administrator
17,094 Posts
No.....chains don't stretch, but they and sprockets do wear down.

Reactions: STCorndog

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Magnetic plugs catch stuff so you think you're doing something. That stuff would normally be trapped in the oil filter. What makes you think it hasn't circulated around the engine before it got to the magnetic plug? Great marketing.

·
Registered
354 Posts
On my second oil change my OEM magnet plug had a couple of things stuck to it. Clean every change since. The OP asked about clutch. I have never adjusted mine in 20K. I would inspect and lube the cable at the lever from time to time. Brake flush when starting to yellow (4 years?) or pads need replacing. Coolant every 5 years and while tank is lifted look at air filter unless you run in dust a lot. I have yet to do Fork Oil, Valve Check or Plugs. Fasteners on everything regularly. Wheel bearing check with tires. I am on my original chain and sprockets. I lube chain every other tank and never clean it. I should give it a good look. How am I doing? kfh000

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Magnetic plugs catch stuff so you think you're doing something. That stuff would normally be trapped in the oil filter. What makes you think it hasn't circulated around the engine before it got to the magnetic plug? Great marketing.
So it gets trapped in the filter but how do you know it hasn't circulated around the engine before it got to the magnetic plug
Did you try saying that out loud before you posted it or do you just click "Post reply" without looking?

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
In the manual itself, you are told to measure the distance between 20 pitches and ensure the measurement is below 12.57 inches. IE: The chain has stretched across links.
It's been explained in the thread REPEATEDLY.
Stretching means the material has gone through PLASTIC DEFORMATION. If your chain has actually stretched then you are using a chain that is FAR too weak for the application and is ABOUT TO SNAP.
Chains elongate (NOT stretch) when the bushes and pins WEAR increasing the gaps between the parts.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts