StromTrooper banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
A Vstrom engine will last 150,000 miles if you change the filter at every oil change. The engine will run 149,999 miles if you change the filter every other oil change.
I got a good laugh at this one. I think I'm going to skip the filler this time, like the manual suggests, then use it next time. Thanks for all the great feedback all.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Yeah reckon I'm a cheapskate, I swap the oil filter every other change and NEVER replace the oil pan drain screw crush washer......never so much as a drip on any bike I've owned, imagine that.

Not sure where I read about not changing the filter with every oil change (maybe somewhere on the Bobistheoilguy forums) anyway the consensus was that the filter actually works better during the 2nd round of oil.

Something about the way particles are trapped reducing the fines that are allowed through. Plenty of analysis info on the Motorcycle/Powersports section. Pretty enlightening seeing actual used oil analysis info, most of us could go a lot longer between changes!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Not sure where I read about not changing the filter with every oil change (maybe somewhere on the Bobistheoilguy forums) anyway the consensus was that the filter actually works better during the 2nd round of oil.

Something about the way particles are trapped reducing the fines that are allowed through. Plenty of analysis info on the Motorcycle/Powersports section. Pretty enlightening seeing actual used oil analysis info, most of us could go a lot longer between changes!
Agreed, as a noob, I know nothing better than what I read. I want to say it was on Strom Trooper that I read the owners manual actually suggests skipping and replacing every 2-3 oil changes (could be wrong, as I don't have the owners manual with my used bike).

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
The service schedule for the Wee up to 2011 certainly does say that. It only specifies the filter to be changed every third oil change BUT I'm pretty sure it also specifies it be changed at the 600km initial service. The filter is the same one fitted to several much larger bikes, so there's no lack of capacity, only the concern about the old oil left in the filter contaminating the new oil.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Ended up doing this change without the filler. That was my first, and likely easiest oil change I'll ever do.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Be very careful when 'cleaning' the chain. Many solvents can penetrate behind the 'O' rings and remove the all important chain lube. When that lube is removed, THE CHAIN WILL FAIL!!!

The ONLY 'chain cleaning' on my bikes happen when I apply chain lube to a shop towel and wipe the lube onto the chain. Clean and lube at the same time. The chain on my Kawasaki ZRX that I sold last year had 35,000 on it with no sign of kinks or failure!!! :cool:

Reactions: Big B

·
Registered
9 Posts
I wonder what affect the Kerosene will have on the o ring chain. Will it make them hard and brittle now?
The tightest the chain will be is when the sprockets and swing arm pivot is in a straight line.
With the first oil change I guess it would give you an idea if you have any issues with the motor or not.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Kerosene is the recommended cleaner for most chains according to the manufacturers. Workshop degreaser on the other hand is a definite no-no.
The additional consideration for chain tightness is that the neither the chain nor sprockets wear perfectly evenly. The result is that even with the swingarm in the position where the chain would in theory be at it's tightest, there is sometimes considerable variation in chain tension as you rotate the rear wheel. The amount of play has to be adjusted when the swingarm is in the correct position AND at the tightest point of rotation.
Also note: chains do NOT stretch, they wear. The critical wear is in the pins and bushes inside the pivots, but the rollers and the outside of the pivots wear as well.

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
Get a Fram PH6018 oil filter instead. It's what I use. Fleet Farm is sold out so I hate driving around. May have to Amazon it. Hotter oil gets the sludge out better. And DON'T strip out the drain plug. If no T wrench, snug it down.

Rocky Mountain ATV is my go to for all the stuff online.
O'Reilly sels Wix filters, and other auto parts stores carry options too.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
A Vstrom engine will last 150,000 miles if you change the filter at every oil change. The engine will run 149,999 miles if you change the filter every other oil change.
And then you're stuck motor hiking that last mile home? No thanks, I want mine to die just as I'm pulling into the driveway.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
and if you get a decent magnetic sump plug it will run 150,001 miles if you change the filter on schedule (every third oil change)

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Reactions: D.T.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
I had a magnetic drain plug on my last couple of bikes. Never had anything stuck to them. Don't know what they are supposed to accomplish really.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I had a magnetic drain plug on my last couple of bikes. Never had anything stuck to them. Don't know what they are supposed to accomplish really.
And they only collect ferrous metal. Any aluminum brass or bronze filings/swarf are free to flow through the motor until the filter traps them. Well if they make it that far.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
And they only collect ferrous metal. Any aluminum brass or bronze filings/swarf are free to flow through the motor until the filter traps them. Well if they make it that far.
This ^
They only trap ferrous metal. I typically get some black sludge stuck to my magnets, but that's it. Under a microscope that sludge probably looks pretty nasty though, rough and ragged particles. Since they're more likely to cause damage to other surfaces than soft metals I'd rather they not be circulating in any amount. Anything non-ferrous I have to rely on the filter to catch.
This is all my personal preference/opinion of course. I'm not going to make up numbers to try and push my point. I truly despise people who make up lies to push their own agenda/opinion/politics so I won't do it.
For the record I also like to put magnets inside the fuel tank near the pump pickup to catch small ferrous particles before they can get into the fuel system I use magnets out of old computer hard disk drives. Don't listen to anyone claiming the magnets change the fuel in any way (yes I've seen products that claim that), they're just there to catch hard ferrous particles and sooth my mild paranoia, nothing more.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Pre 1996 DR650 are a rime example of why magnets are useless. If you didn't tension the timing chain at every oil change (you had to pull the side cover so most didn't) it would loosen and the timing chain would go slack and slap the cases grinding away the surrounding metal. Since the oil passages were narrow these filing would plug the oil passages and starve the engine for oil and take out the top end.

Any metal in the oil ferrous or non-ferrous is bad.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts