StromTrooper banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
So brought to another dealer. They had multiple people driving in the range of 3000-4000. Up and down hills, different gears. Top gear at 3000 was the worst. Guess Suzuki doesn't want to open up covers. Told to drive it and bring it in when it gets worse.

So drive it till I break it? Cool.

Mechanic figures it's just the larger engine new engine and that it might be normal. I have a hard time believing that. Frustrating.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
So brought to another dealer. They had multiple people driving in the range of 3000-4000. Up and down hills, different gears. Top gear at 3000 was the worst. Guess Suzuki doesn't want to open up covers. Told to drive it and bring it in when it gets worse.

So drive it till I break it? Cool.

Mechanic figures it's just the larger engine new engine and that it might be normal. I have a hard time believing that. Frustrating.
That is disappointing. Mechanic is talking through his hat. It isn't a larger engine - same engine since, I think, 2014. It has differences in engine management now, compared to 2014-2019. Not sure if the cams are still the same, or TB's, but the basic lump is the same, I'm sure, I think...

·
Administrator
14,141 Posts
@slovcan

Cam profile is different with more emphasis on higher end power.

Throttle body's got bigger iirc (but I might be thinking of my 2015 DL1000.)

It isn't terribly smooth running below 3,000 rpm with higher loads in it.

..Tom

·
Registered
368 Posts
It isn't terribly smooth running below 3,000 rpm with higher loads in it.
neither is my '19, I've just come to accept that the motor needs to have a little momentum to smooth itself out.

IMO the preferred operating range is above 3.5k or realistically 4k for smoothness. any lower and your throttle inputs needs to be more delicate.

I've just assumed this is part of having a larger displacement 270 deg L twin.

·
Registered
2011 650 V-Strom with ABS
673 Posts
Yeah, sometimes hard to define what's normal and what isn't.

It is a question of degree.

The good news is, it has plenty of torque at anything above 1700 RPM. The bad news is, it has plenty of torque at anything above 1700 RPM. You can feel every power stroke.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts