StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, this all got started with covid. I ride my Yamaha fjr during the winters in USA, so I can extend my season, would have been my 04 wee strom, but crazy ex wife didn't allow me to retrieve bike for years. Hence the fjr. Then, reading the news and realizing my bike was stuck in Texas due to world lockdown , I only had my wee strom that was able to tackle highway to arctic ocean last summer. To be honest, she could do it, but she's really a hunting and bush bike. She has 90k on her, some idling issues that haven't been figured, even after visit to dealer. So I read about adventure bikes, because really, the fjr isn't quite the animal for a crazy highway to most northern road. New strom looked like it would fit the bill and I knew it would be reliable.

Ordered March 20 2020. Said payments, bags, seat and heated grips.

May came, no bike don't think anything was ordered in terms of accessories. Seat was out as I would sit lower and I'm a tall bastard.

June, bike came in, on 18th. Told to come in and pay. No bags, no heated grips. Sales guy must have forgotten that stuff plus that bike was to be installments. Starting to panic, July is best month for doing trip. I bail on picking up because bike isn't complete, sales guy uses a bunch of pressure tactics, even saying bike could go to someone else. Hold ground, need bags for trip and its Canada, heated grips shouldn't even be an option, but a given(Suzuki you messed up here). Also sales guy wanted to throw buffer for bags and grips, my insurance wasn't down with this.

July, Nada. Have given up on trip. From here on, just want bike together. Start harassing once a month to sales guy.

August 17, he gets a price for sidebags(how is there no set price on bags a year earlier?? Is Suzuki really a reactionary company?? Covid aside, I'm sure bean counters can work from home during lockdown. Insane.

Guy still hasn't ordered grips and top bag.

Aug 26 sidebags come in.

Sept 4th. Price on top bag and carrier stuff.

Harass dealer on Sept 28th whether any thing else had come in.

No word till 30th. Bike is done.

Write email to Suzuki Canada Rep about the brutal experience, asking for price to be knocked down as season was done.

Offered a gps. Lol, who uses these anymore? The cell does a better job.

Grungingly go through the financing, sales agent ported contract to conartist out of bc called lmg finance. Told there were bonuses to contract that I wasn't paying for, such as tire replacement, life insurance and disability. Sounded too good for 0.5% over Suzuki 5.99. Asked to get a copy of contract via email. You know there's an issue when sales guy hesitates and you hear in the tone that he doesn't want to send you a copy.

Seems they added what looks like a double tax, life and disability insurance outright to contract, without knowledge or permission. Making a 20k bike cost 29k in the end.

Cancelled that option. Bike total now 23255 through Suzuki option over 72 months.

This took most of Oct. Finally able to pick up bike in between work on Oct 31.

Notice original grips aren't in bags or bike like I was promised, mirrors not even hand tight, checked bike over, tightened a few bolts, no locktite on any of the bags... Went for ride. No speedo, abs light trips. Weird harsh vibration 3000-4500rpm.

Continue driving, total drive time half hour, engine light comes on, same with traction control and a large hazard light, plus possible snow. Lol tripped every light you could. Fuel injection was for the motor light.

Few days later, bike is at dealer, should have balked whole purchase and went for 2021 at another Suzuki dealer.

See what happens.

This is what I have so far in extremely limited riding:

Pros:Bike can turn on a dime
Cuts through light ditch riding and field
Decent power, didn't open up due to break in period
Stands nicely and comfortably.
Highway it does smooth out

Cons: they didn't fix the front fender to put any sort of gap between front wheel and fender takes nothing to gum that up and lose rotation with any sticky mud
I'm concerned about front attachment for triple tree. Looks like same deal that you have to keep eye on, had high-speed wobble on wee strom due to this, even though I kept getting it tightened(just stretches getting on and off, loading /unloading)
Highbeams, wtf? The high beam lights only road, not edges of road to see that deer coming. Pretty useless, now I need to get some auxiliary lights to do what should be done stock.
No stock heated grips??? What? Canada eh!?
Vibration(wtf) I'm chalking to speedo... Hopefully all lights are related.

***Don't ever buy from Dalton in Lloydminster ab at lethal motorsports.

I was looking forward to new hayabusa as it's my fav bike of the 4. But after this whole experience, I'm thinking I'm done with any sort of Suzuki purchases again.

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
You can buy these off the floor. Why bother ordering?

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
I thought the XT Adventure came stock with panniers, heated grips, driving lifhts and crash bars?

Not sure why the dealership would have to order these components separately ??

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I understood. He got fucked over by a sales dick named Dalton at Lethal Motorsports in Lloydminster, Alberta.

I don't think there were bikes on the floor anywhere in March to buy - others here ordered, too.

I would have bailed on the whole deal on June 18th.

Shit like this is why dealers in general get a bad name. This dealer needs to meet Mr. Molotov.

Reactions: Gert

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I guess, not in Canada, different countries have different setups. I would have thought adventure package came with everything, but it's missing bags, heated grips.

Comes with crash bar, no auxiliary lighting. I wish it came with auxiliary lighting, not sure if avail in States, but comes with package in Europe. I just checked cdn website. Doesn't come with package.

There were no 2020 of these bikes in Canada in march. First supposed shipment came in June, 215 vstroms...

Motocanada? What don't you understand? First purchase of a new Strom and I am hating suzuki and my dealer for all the absolute craziness of what should have been a simple purchase. Plus choked the first ride wasn't pleasant or what I expected, just on going shit show. I hate being a part of a shit show.

·
Premium Member
4,304 Posts
Should have taken the bike in June, ordered some Givi bags and mounts, crash bars, skid plate, airstream windshield, a different seat, and oxford heated grips. Installation is simple enough, you could have been out on your trip the following week or even in a couple of days if you dedicated the time to it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Should have taken the bike in June, ordered some Givi bags and mounts, crash bars, skid plate, airstream windshield, a different seat, and oxford heated grips. Installation is simple enough, you could have been out on your trip the following week or even in a couple of days if you dedicated the time to it.

I did all that to previous Strom. And what's the point of getting a new bike for first time then installing all that again. I wanted nice clean look rather than cobbled together from other manufacturers.

All the bags on new Strom are way smaller than Givi. I was hoping Suzuki bags plugged on cleanly like Yamaha fjr. Not the case, same exterior tubing to mount.

·
Registered
2012 DL650A
119 Posts
I did all that to previous Strom. And what's the point of getting a new bike for first time then installing all that again. I wanted nice clean look rather than cobbled together from other manufacturers.

All the bags on new Strom are way smaller than Givi. I was hoping Suzuki bags plugged on cleanly like Yamaha fjr. Not the case, same exterior tubing to mount.
Wut?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Hate to hear of the painful experience; a new bike should be a fun day not a bad one. Hope it gets better.

·
Registered
2019 DL1000XTA
335 Posts
I understood. He got fucked over by a sales dick named Dalton at Lethal Motorsports in Lloydminster, Alberta.

I don't think there were bikes on the floor anywhere in March to buy - others here ordered, too.

I would have bailed on the whole deal on June 18th.

Shit like this is why dealers in general get a bad name. This dealer needs to meet Mr. Molotov.
Yup. I’d chalk this up as a lesson learned. You don’t need a toy vehicle more than a dealer needs to sell you one. The moment you lose sight of that, you lose the upper hand in the purchasing and negotiation process.

·
Registered
2011 650 V-Strom with ABS
680 Posts
Sorry for the craptastic experience with the Suzuki dealer.

I also would go to great lengths to never deal with that dealership again.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I sympathize with the OP. The XT Adventure package that comes with aluminum panniers, heated grips, auxilliary lights, etc., was not an available option in Canada so these items had to be ordered separately. I ordered OEM heated grips and OEM pannier racks in March and took delivery of the bike in May, but did not see the racks and heated grips until late August and early September. They were just not available in Canada. My dealer blamed COVID shippind delays from Japan.

That said, the OP's dealer knew (because my dealer did) that the grips and luggage were on indefinite backorder. It was stated plainly on the dealer's ordering website. He should have been honest about it, rather than stringing the OP along, pissing off a customer and losing future business. Not to mention the potential business of people like those on this forum. What should have been an exciting experience was turned into an awful one.

·
Registered
2011 650 V-Strom with ABS
680 Posts
Sadly, great customer service (or even decent) is a rarity these days. If a business actually does that, it's practically a super power today.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
His posts were confusing but I'd like to revisit the mechanical issues with the machine... it apparently was disabled and is now at the dealer? Maybe someone can translate what the hell he was trying to say?

Reactions: AZ-Stromer

·
Registered
42 Posts
Im going out on a limb here. First of all shipping has been ridiculous, we have screwed over people where I work and have been screwed over by people who supply us.

Next, based on everything said, he was emotionally attached to a bike that didnt exist yet. Depending on how much he begged and called the dealer, they may have eventually just told him what he wanted to hear. Ive told people many times, if you keep asking the same thing but dont like the answer, eventually people will lie to you.

As far as the mechanical issues, I hope Canada has a lemon law and he can move on, I dont want a bike that needs to be figured out, it needs to work from day 1. So far my Wee has done that, and I hope he can find success.

·
Premium Member
4,304 Posts

I enjoy installing things on a brand new bike, when its all so clean, plus you can add loctite and really do it right. The time and money savings is obvious.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts