StromTrooper banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Regarding riding in different temperatures, everyone is different in what they are comfy with and I have learned that as I age what was comfy before isn't as much now.

Being over 60 I have found I don't have as much tolerance for being too hot or too cold than what I used to when I was much younger.

For hot temperatures I wear shorts and a T-shirt or a normal cotton shirt. I wear an evaporative cooling vest on top of the street clothes. (The vest gets wetted when I stop for gas.) My Roadcrafter R3 goes over that with the underarm and back vents open, the sleeve zippers open, the main zipper down a little bit (depending on how much flow I need.) The zippers that go to my street pants-pockets open and the pant zippers not fully zipped (but the pant cuffs snapped together at the boots.) This has worked for me keeping me comfy in up to 100°f/ 38°c temperatures on trips and on shortish rides on city streets.

I haven't commuted in those temperatures. When stopping the Roadcrafter goes off so quickly that I am almost instantly in my shorts and T and just have to take off my boots and socks and put on my sandals.

I found that the most important thing for me as I got into my 50's and now 60's was to Hydrate. Not just water, but make sure I had electrolytes. In my tank bag I have a bottle of water with "Nunn" hydrating tables in it so I get the same effect as Gatorade but without the sugar. I can flip up my helmet at almost any speed and take a drink.

I wear the same Roadcrafter down to 0°f / -18c and just put layers under it but over my street clothing. ("Warm N Safe" heated jacket and softshell over cotton shirt and normal street pants take me down to 32f / 0°c.)

Up until recently my R3 has proven to be waterproof. Lately I am getting the dreaded wet crotch in solid rain so have to figure out what is going on there.

..Tom
I wear an R3 as well. Just like you said, as long as I'm moving i stay comfortable at high temps. I find the venting adequate.

I had some cheapo crap before this but haven't tried the other big name stuff. The Aerostich factory is only 90 minutes away so it seemed like a natural to buy local.

Keeps me dry too. Its only 3 yrs old. I've ridden for days in the rain and nary a drop inside. Ok. Maybe a drop or two down my neck when i lean out to clear my visor.

Not saying it's the best for everyone but it is the best for me.

Relax and have a homebrew.

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I was going to start a new thread, then I noticed this is the first thread we started in this new forum. So let's keep her going.

So my wife approaches me today, after watching me tinker in the garage and ride my bike to work consistently the past few months, and asks what I would choose for a new riding suit. She wants to buy it for me for xmas!

Here's my requirements as I know them today:

Waterproof & breathable (Gortex)
High end armour
Excellent front to back venting
Easy zip on/off
Light weight
Great warranty (even in Canada)

Basically the one suit you would take to the end of the earth (Tuk?) and back.

I am known to want to strip down in a hurry so intuitive on/off system is a must. I also get hot quickly if the bike isn't moving, so the suit must have some quick off bike adjustment (can a one piece do that?).

Keep em coming.

·
Super Moderator
13,057 Posts
I was going to start a new thread, then I noticed this is the first thread we started in this new forum. So let's keep her going.

So my wife approaches me today, after watching me tinker in the garage and ride my bike to work consistently the past few months, and asks what I would choose for a new riding suit. She wants to buy it for me for xmas!

High end armour
Easy zip on/off
Light weight

I am known to want to strip down in a hurry so intuitive on/off system is a must. I also get hot quickly if the bike isn't moving, so the suit must have some quick off bike adjustment (can a one piece do that?).

Keep em coming.
Sounds like you are talking about an Aerostich Roadcrafter. On or off in seconds. Waterproof, breathable, they are the people that invented armoured textile suits. Tons of stories of how people crashed in their Roadcrafter and the suit did a fantastic job of protecting them. I ride in all kinds of weather (it was pouring when I left home this morning (but turned to light rain half way for my 70 km/40 mile commute on my bike and I got to work completely dry.) Hottest in a Roadcrafter R3 was 100°f / 38°c with a cooling vest underneath, coldest last Feb was 0°f /-18°c with fleece pants over street pants, heated jacket and two soft shells.

If you feel ambitious we could take a little ride to their facilities in Duluth. They give a discount for buying it in the store and it lets them measure you up to make sure it fits perfectly. Google says it's only about 1,331 km from my place, 1,466 from Ottawa. We could make a long weekend out of it or maybe make longer ride out of it.

..Tom

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
".....Great warranty (even in Canada)......"

One thing to keep in mind is that GoreTex has a lifetime warranty. ie. if it leaks, they will fix/replace providing it is not due to damage.

I recently visited the Klim hdqtrs in Rigby, ID. They seem to have the warranty thing down pretty good from what I can gather.

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Sounds like you are talking about an Aerostich Roadcrafter. On or off in seconds. Waterproof, breathable, they are the people that invented armoured textile suits. Tons of stories of how people crashed in their Roadcrafter and the suit did a fantastic job of protecting them. I ride in all kinds of weather (it was pouring when I left home this morning (but turned to light rain half way for my 70 km/40 mile commute on my bike and I got to work completely dry.) Hottest in a Roadcrafter R3 was 100°f / 38°c with a cooling vest underneath, coldest last Feb was 0°f /-18°c with fleece pants over street pants, heated jacket and two soft shells.

If you feel ambitious we could take a little ride to their facilities in Duluth. They give a discount for buying it in the store and it lets them measure you up to make sure it fits perfectly. Google says it's only about 1,331 km from my place, 1,466 from Ottawa. We could make a long weekend out of it or maybe make longer ride out of it.

..Tom
I keep leaning that way, then I think I like the idea of walking around with jacket off when I stop.

You think we could make that trip before winter?! Or target the spring?

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
I keep leaning that way, then I think I like the idea of walking around with jacket off when I stop. …
Why do you want to walk around with just the jacket off when you can get the whole suit off with just 2 zippers?

·
Super Moderator
13,057 Posts
I keep leaning that way, then I think I like the idea of walking around with jacket off when I stop.

You think we could make that trip before winter?! Or target the spring?
It will take them several weeks to make it so prob better to order this fall. We'd have to keep and y]eye our for weather in northern Ontario and heading across to Minnesota. If that doesn't work then spring.

..Tom

·
Registered
1,009 Posts

High end armour
Easy zip on/off
Light weight

Keep em coming.
I have read through the all the posts so far. The range of opinions points to a common set of multiple goals.

Armored body protection
Defend against cold
Defend against heat
Easy On/ Off
-----------------
Not a lot of concern about cost and no one has mentioned the bulk, weight or flexibility. One person did mention perceived image. The choices, for most of us, needs to rely on the collective historical experience. Personally, my search for the motorcycle clothing grail began in the late "60s. Most of the best gear was spawned in England in the form of Belstaff waxed jackets and pants. There was a ritual that a couple times a years you would heat up some wax and reapply it with a paint brush. A major improvement back then was the development of a wax that didn't stink. I can clearly recall pulling into a store at sundown to buy a newspaper to stuff inside your sleeves, chest and the front of pant legs.
And yes, we had to start the bikes with our leg, so get off my lawn.:wink2:

Fast forward: My solution for the needs we have is not a "onesie" suit. I think modular works better. I wear body armor. I have a windproof / water proof thin light upper shell. I have an electric vest and electric chaps. And I use modified high-wasted sailing rain paints. The modification on the pants: I had a local seamstress install waste to cuff velcro to the outside of the legs behind a flap. Just think of male stripper pants. That totally eliminates the need for the next "new and improved" crotch zipper. And upper shell, pants, chaps and vest rollup into small tail bag on my sports bike or two grab-rail bags on my Vee.

That what works for me and covers all of bases on my ball field. The mega extremes are always going to uncomfortable, short of switching to a pickup. [/End, my 2 cents\]

·
Super Moderator
16,870 Posts
I have the Stich Darien light jacket and AD1 britches, for me that combo is damn near perfect. I doubt I would ever go with a suit, but if I do it will be Stich without question.

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I have the Stich Darien light jacket and AD1 britches, for me that combo is damn near perfect. I doubt I would ever go with a suit, but if I do it will be Stich without question.
Why did you lean towards the two piece instead of the one piece?

And why the AD1 over the Darien pants?

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
It will take them several weeks to make it so prob better to order this fall. We'd have to Keegan eye oitvfor weather in northern Ontario and heading across to Minnesota. If that doesn't work then spring.

..Tom
Does the same apply if you order any of their products, or just the one piece suits?

·
Super Moderator
13,057 Posts
Does the same apply if you order any of their products, or just the one piece suits?
They have suits on the rack there. You could go to their website and figure out your measurements and see if they have your size there.

They do have lots other stuff in inventory (ie fleece pants, soft shells, etc.). I'm not sure about there other outerwear but I would be surprised if there isn't some inventory there.

..Tom

·
Registered
449 Posts
Just bought this jacket

I just bought an Olympia Richmond Jacket in Hi-vis. 600d evo with 1000d ballistic nylon impact areas. This jacket features a permanently attached interior waterproof membrane that is constructed in such a way as to allow direct venting through the membrane to your body. Full sleeve removable thermo liner with pockets. There are two forearm, two ribcage and two rear half-length vents; all are designed to stay spread fully open for max ventilation, and it really does flow a lot of air. Pockets and pouches all over the place, a 360º under-helmet rain gator, generous waist, arm torso and wrist adjustability. The rip-stick wrist closures have generous pull tabs (mebbe a little too generous) and sized to be able to wear a gauntlet glove easily inside or outside the cuff. Well thought out. I haven't tried it in the rain yet, but the reviews are good, and I'm keeping my Tourmaster 2-piece rain suit which I know works perfectly in the rain.
CE-1 armor and the throw-away back protector round it out. they retail at $269USD but I was able to get mine for less than that at my dealer. Heck I'll shout-out; Leo's South in Lakeville, MN. Great people to deal with IMO. RevZilla has this style at closeout in limited sizes and colors cheaper yet. Now I'm looking for textile pants (new).
https://www.revzilla.com/search?_utf8=✓&query=Olympia+Richmond+jacket

·
Registered
449 Posts
It will take them several weeks to make it so prob better to order this fall. We'd have to keep and y]eye our for weather in northern Ontario and heading across to Minnesota. If that doesn't work then spring.

..Tom
Excellent junket! I would be up for a rendezvous in the spring if you would be interested. Maybe I'd score some pants at the 'Stitch. I'm about 3-4 hrs south depending on the route in western Wisconsin.
No matter when, the Duluth Grill is thee best eating in the neighborhood (9 blk/1.5km), and Canal Park has more. You have to look hard for bad food in Duluth.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I own a Stich R3 Light (shameless plug, it's for sale in the Canadian sale section) that I didn't jive with, but it is probably what you're looking for.

The suit as a concept is fantastic. Can get it on or off in a matter of seconds. Laminated gore-tex liner so you never need to worry about not having your gore-tex liner in. The one piece design keeps you warmer in cold weather as your body heat has fewer areas to escape from. Huge vents offer fantastic cooling in hot weather. The flip up collar has great coverage in cold or wet weather.

The downsides are that it fits like a bag of potatoes. Though mine is a custom order, I didn't order it, but I doubt that would change anything. Aerostich seems to be very proud that the suit aesthetically looks like crap. The fix for it, in my head at least, is very simple. All it needs is a vertical stretch panel at your back near the waist to take up the huge amount of excess material when you're standing/walking and not on the bike. If you're touring it's not that big of a deal. My vain ego couldn't stand the look if I had to park the bike and walk around somewhere.

Besides that, I had some quality issues on mine. The suit started leaking water and the velcro disintegrated on the front pockets.

I'm sure Aerostich will fix it for a reasonable price, but I couldn't be bothered and replaced it with a Klim Latitude jacket and pants.

".....Great warranty (even in Canada)......"

One thing to keep in mind is that GoreTex has a lifetime warranty. ie. if it leaks, they will fix/replace providing it is not due to damage.

I recently visited the Klim hdqtrs in Rigby, ID. They seem to have the warranty thing down pretty good from what I can gather.
Gore-Tex's lifetime warranty is legit! Had a pair of BMW Allround gore-tex boots that started leaking after a lot of use. Sent them some pics to show the leaks. Gore-Tex gave me a full refund for the amount I originally paid as the boots were no longer available. That money went straight into another pair of gore-tex boots.

Klim warranty has been good as well. My Klim Quest gloves had an issue where the gore-tex liner pulled out. Contacted them to start the claim, all I had to do was send them pics of the issue. Since that model glove was no longer available, they offered to put the value of the gloves towards any other Klim product I chose. Sat on the offer for a year. Contacted them a year after opening the claim to get a new pair of gloves. They still had everything on file. I paid the $15 difference in price and had the gloves on my doorstep in a couple business days. Simple and straightforward, I like that.

I really like my Klim Latitude jacket, and less so the pants. The jacket is lightweight, vents well, and fits perfectly. No excess bulk anywhere. The pants however are far too unnecessarily baggy at my calves/boots. I understand they probably wanted them to be able to fit over bulky mx/adv style boots. But they could have easily offered some velcro adjustment to tighten the fit. Even with all that extra space, still need to take my slim boots off to get them off. Once they're on, they're on for the day. Considering the Latitude is marketed more for on-road touring, the pants are an odd design.

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I just bought an Olympia Richmond Jacket in Hi-vis. 600d evo with 1000d ballistic nylon impact areas. This jacket features a permanently attached interior waterproof membrane that is constructed in such a way as to allow direct venting through the membrane to your body. Full sleeve removable thermo liner with pockets. There are two forearm, two ribcage and two rear half-length vents; all are designed to stay spread fully open for max ventilation, and it really does flow a lot of air. Pockets and pouches all over the place, a 360º under-helmet rain gator, generous waist, arm torso and wrist adjustability. The rip-stick wrist closures have generous pull tabs (mebbe a little too generous) and sized to be able to wear a gauntlet glove easily inside or outside the cuff. Well thought out. I haven't tried it in the rain yet, but the reviews are good, and I'm keeping my Tourmaster 2-piece rain suit which I know works perfectly in the rain.
CE-1 armor and the throw-away back protector round it out. they retail at $269USD but I was able to get mine for less than that at my dealer. Heck I'll shout-out; Leo's South in Lakeville, MN. Great people to deal with IMO. RevZilla has this style at closeout in limited sizes and colors cheaper yet. Now I'm looking for textile pants (new).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0vD0X_3eac
https://www.revzilla.com/search?_utf8=✓&query=Olympia+Richmond+jacket
Great deal on a well constructed jacket! Olympia builds their gear with durability in mind from my experience. My Olympia Dakar (original version) is still bullet proof after 6 years. Still my go to system for long tripping.

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Couldn't resist the deal on the Richmond. I have one on the way... I need a cold weather commuting jacket and it fits the bill.

I have a feeling I'm trending towards that rider, you know the one, that after 20 years of riding he/she has 6 jackets, 4 pairs of boots, several pairs of pants and overpants...

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
The Olympia Richmond jacket arrived and it's built like a tank... every bit as well constructed, or better, than my Dakar. This will get me through the cold and wet months no doubt, along with the Olympia Sentry pants, all for less than $325 USD. Both the Richmond and the Sentry have removable thermal linings included. I could go with just my light heated gear and probably ride through the whole winter.... damn you snow!! :grin2:

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #59 (Edited)
Got to try out the Richmond and Sentry combo today. Started out in 6 degrees. I decided to put them on without their thermal liners. Had my jeans, t-shirt and my W&S heated shell underneath. Crazy warm. It woud have to get pretty cold to use those thermal liners.

Nice being on the highway doing 120 and having no wind or cold penetrate through :)

Didn't meet my easy on/off requirement, but easier than what I had since I get to shed layers.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I love my Aerostich R3. I never leave the driveway without it. Out gets a little warm in slow traffic but has plenty of ventilation for me when moving above 30mph. When it's really hot i just wet my base layer a bit.

I actually look forward to riding in the rain. Haven't been wet in the three years I've had it.

Autocorrect is my new enema.
Relax and have a homebrew.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts