StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Might be crazy, but still riding. Was bitterly cold, 19 degrees this morning, but clear, and snow will not arrive til after rush hour. Any one else still riding in MO?

·
Administrator
17,094 Posts
If it is above 32 degrees I'm going out, anything below that is crazy. Tires probably won't warm up enough to be safe in my opinion, and that is just too freakin cold!!!! Your a true trooper....I'll give ya that.;)

·
Registered
44 Posts
I rode to work Tuesday it was in the low 20s that made 57 days since the beginning of the school year but yesterday we got 5 inches of snow and today it was 7 degrees with lots of ice around and more snow in the forecast for tomorrow. I think it may be awhile before I get to ride again.

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
I will as soon as I'm sure I won't get snowed on, or be near ice. Cold is not a bother (other than taking it easy on the tires as they get a bit greasy), but I won't risk going out at night, or where there might be black ice. Plus nobody expects to see bikes when its this cold out.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Drove cage today..

First day in car since bike purchase in August. Hopefully the ice/snow/sleet will go away, and can get bake on bike. Scubadvr, where are you commuting to from west stl, hopefully not too far...

·
Registered
483 Posts
Nah, I have a 10-mile commute. I plan on riding every day there isn't accumulating ice/snow on the roads. Warm-n-safe jacket liner should arrive today or tomorrow, and prolly gerbings gloves within the next couple of weeks.:mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
have a similar 10 mile commute, other side of town

Ride from north county to downtown each morning. Not too far, have ridden bicycle to work on occasion. Heated clothing would be nice, might have to get a set. Right now working on getting crashbars/sliders, panniers and other bike necessities. The winter outfit currently wearing is warm enough with thermals on. If you plan on riding much longer, maybe we could get together for a backroad ride down in mark twain nf.

·
Registered
483 Posts
If you plan on riding much longer, maybe we could get together for a backroad ride down in mark twain nf
I'd definitely like to do that. Back in September, took the long way (460 miles round trip) to Sikeston to eat at Lambert's cafe, down through Iron County, hitting all the good twisties along the way. It was a fantastic trip.

I'm currently pretty good down to yesterday's temps except for cold hands. I have fairly thin gloves and grip heaters. Yesterday, my palms were hot and my thumbs were numb, so I think it's the heated gloves for me.

I'm using Tourmaster Caliber overpants, and I haven't even used the quilted liners yet, although if I were planning an extended trip, I'd wear 'em for sure. They stayed completely dry in that freezing rain mess last night. I picked up a cheap pair of Nitro boots up at Donelson's Cycles, and they worked fantastic, too, an excellent value.

Although I'm still "OK" with my normal leather jacket for commuting, I'm looking forward to being toasty warm with the warm-n-safe liner. They have a "factory 2nd" sale right now, you can get a mis-marked or returned jacket for only $120.00. I ordered one of those, plus a heat-troller, and it should be here hopefully today or tomorrow, so I can install it over the weekend.

The only other thing that gets cold is my chin, and a regular scarf fixes that, although I told my wife a good stocking stuffer would be a thin balaclava-type mask.

·
Registered
22 Posts
if your going to go with a balaclava-type mask. i got a turtle fur one from the local shop. its VERY warm, especialy on the neck and chin area. also has a spandex head part so your helmet still fits rite.

i was riding up here in the chicagoland area till it snowed about 10 days ago. i wanna get back out there... gas for my pickup is breakin me....

as for the rest of my outfit. i wear a sweater and a carhart type jacket with a reflective vest over it. i wear my rain pants. theyre rated to 35 degrees. they work fine. i wear regular winter type gloves. and of course my full face helmet. im pretty warm. find that i sweat sometimes.

i get alot of crazy looks.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rode back in yesterday and this morning

Most roads are clear now, morning temps are around 32, have ridden back roads slow. Temps in daytime reach high 40s, so ride home is safe. 28 degrees this morning, ice only around edges where snow has been melting, salt is doing its job on the road. Will probably have to clean this bike to get the salt off. As long as it continues to melt, and roads look good, I will ride. Going for a full rounder...
http://www.yearroundriders.com

·
Registered
483 Posts
Since I got my bike back in August, there have been only five days I haven't ridden it to work. Two were just this week, until most of the snow melted off my street. There was still about a 30' stretch of snow/ice, but I needed to RIDE! I just coasted over the ice/snow, the Wee never even got squirelly or anything. No probs. It was also the first day I tried out my Warm-n-safe jacket, and that thing is GREAT! I feel confident I can now ride down to just about any temperature I want. The only cold spots left are my fingertips (will try out the now Gerbings gloves soon, it was too warm today) and my chin (balaclava for Christmas!)

Yesterday (Thursday the 20th) Channel 5 forecasted "scattered sprinkles," but halfway to work it was pouring! I didn't even mind, though, I was warm and dry when I go tto work. the right gear is everything.

Man, I love riding this bike!

·
Registered
483 Posts
If it is above 32 degrees I'm going out, anything below that is crazy. Tires probably won't warm up enough to be safe in my opinion, and that is just too freakin cold!!!! Your a true trooper....I'll give ya that.;)
BigB, I was wondering about tire temps, too, esp. on cold pavement, but with the stock trailwings, I haven't noticed any appreciable handling issues yet, at least down to 25F (coldest I've ridden yet this year). Now, my old bike, with narrower (and 4-year-old) tires, I found that the rear would tend to start slipping a little in very hard cornering at the same temps, but the Wee and Trailwings so far are both doing admirably.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I've found winter riding to be a lot like riding dirt trails after a rain. You just got to know what to look for and be ready to act fast. So far this winter the biggest problem for me has been salt! I just recently spent an hour spraying down the V and KLR with lubricant and wiping every surface I could reach because there is so much getting on the bikes. If the weather is as warm tomorrow as it was today I'll probably try to wash them down and reapply some lubricant to try and protect them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts