StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wifes Glees is due, so to save a buck she called the dealer and wanted to make sure we do not screw up the warrenty if I do the oil change myself. The mechanic was very kind to explain what needed to be done, especially changing oil, oil filter, checking chain tension, tire pressure, differential fluid, screws and bolts , etc ... He also offered to have it done in an hour or so for $170.00 ,

If you read the above twice, That is not a typo !!:yesnod:

·
Registered
471 Posts
Differential fluid ?? 170.00 per hr.......I did mine myself, now I'm wondering if I missed something....Differential fluid ?? ..........TD

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
You must have talked to the trike mechanic.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Well, if u have a service manual, and also use the owners manual, you'll probably see somewhere between 25 and 35 different things that are suppose to be done at the first service.

Most of them are just "checks", but there is a point to that. One of them would be checking the torque on the pinch bolts for the front forks. Only mentioning as one example, there are many others. But, ever heard of someone almost losing the front axle because the pinch bolt was torqued properly initially?

If you have the tools etc to do all those things, document what you did and there should be no reason for an mfg to reject a claim. But if you don't, and you don't document it... just pay the dealer. They say the first service is the most important one.

I did my own first service. Man there were quite a few things that were not torqued to specs, rear shock, swing arm bolt, handlebars, etc.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My dealer charged me $50 and had the bike about an hour. I almost feel like I didn't get the whole first service as outlined in the manual. maybe I should shut up and be happy about it, a lot better than $170. I gues if parts don't start falling off the bike then I am ok.

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought oil and a filter, $40 plus pennies, everything else is just normal maintenance. The $130.00 we didn't have to spend will go to paying the bike off :biggrinjester:

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Are they also changing the halogen fluid and muffler bearings?

Halogen fluid, pffft. Everyone knows it's blinker fluid. Duh.

:mrgreen:

The new V strom is tough on differential fluid so it needs to be changed. Every 6 miles I think. :confused:

·
Registered
865 Posts
Wifes Glees is due, so to save a buck she called the dealer and wanted to make sure we do not screw up the warrenty if I do the oil change myself. He also offered to have it done in an hour or so for $170.00 He forgot to tell her about enviro fees and tax,

About half the cost you're quoting in the UK for a first service. And that's from two Suzuki main dealers.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Wifes Glees is due, so to save a buck she called the dealer and wanted to make sure we do not screw up the warrenty if I do the oil change myself. The mechanic was very kind to explain what needed to be done, especially changing oil, oil filter, checking chain tension, tire pressure, differential fluid, screws and bolts , etc ... He also offered to have it done in an hour or so for $170.00 He forgot to tell her about enviro fees and tax,

I would never take a bike for service to this "very kind" mechanic..just an observation.

Oil, filter change, the easiest I have ever done on a bike. Filter $10, oil $24, went over the entire bike inspect and check coolant level, and all fasteners, chain, filed my receipts.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Your source for blinker fluid, muffler bearings, flux capacitors, cross drilled brake hoses and much more:
Maintenance : KaleCoAuto.com, Your home for the rare, unusual, and hard to find auto parts.
:green_lol: pi$$ in my pants.

80W-90 too much?
No...exactly what i use... in my Cameleon chain oiler :wink:

·
Registered
201 Posts
That's pretty funny :)

Pretty sure we should also have a pic of the Honda Moly Paste that everyone uses on those splines too.

If you forget that... you could lose your bacon!!!

:yikes:

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Don't forget the front differential! It's a 4 wheel drive ya know...:yesnod:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts