StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just did my first service at 588 miles.

Dang everything was TIGHT!! Needed my super secret filter wrench, and had to put a rag on the oil filler to open it with a pair of channel locks.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Do you have a list of things you checked/changed? Or did you simply follow the owners manual? I'm curious what all is involved in the recommended 600 mile service.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On page 7-4 of the manual:

Tighten the exhaust pipe bolts & muffler bolts
Change engine oil
Change engine oil filter
Check idle speed
Check throttle cable play
Inspect the drive chain
Inspect the brakes
Inspect the steering system
Tighten chassis nuts & bolts

Do you have a list of things you checked/changed? Or did you simply follow the owners manual? I'm curious what all is involved in the recommended 600 mile service.

·
Registered
52 Posts
With my lack luster purchase experience at my dealer and the fact I am still waiting for locks for my side cases from them, I am very weary of turning my 15' over to them for a 600 mile service. Will I have issue with any potential warranty work if I chose to service the bike myself going forward?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not sure. I always keep a record of my receipts and list of things done so I can document service to a dealer or a buyer (truth be told it is because I'm old and need a reminder of what I have done).

Your quote "lack luster purchase experience" makes me worry that they might not support you well if you had an issue (you won't). Maybe it is time to make a relationship with a better dealer.

With my lack luster purchase experience at my dealer and the fact I am still waiting for locks for my side cases from them, I am very weary of turning my 15' over to them for a 600 mile service. Will I have issue with any potential warranty work if I chose to service the bike myself going forward?

·
Registered
59 Posts
the three lock assembly/tumblers should have came with the bike. they are made for your ignition key. Under the seat or with your owners manual maybe.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Maybe it is time to make a relationship with a better dealer.
I am in North West Arkansas. All of the Suzuki dealers are owned by the same family. There are three dealers.... sheesh.

I am very well equipped to maintain any type of motorcycle I own (Goldwing, V2, Metric Cruiser). I just don't want to get into a "proof" discussion with Mother Suzuki if I ever have a warranty issue.

·
Registered
52 Posts
the three lock assembly/tumblers should have came with the bike. they are made for your ignition key. Under the seat or with your owners manual maybe.
Yep, the issue is... the locks supplied with the non adventure bike are a flat blade type as seen on the Wee's that use the Trox cases.

The Adventure V2 have locks that look like a 90 degree bent arrow. They will recess inside the case to keep the handle locked.

I have been waiting for a set of locks for a month. Today, I visited the dealer and they had an entire lock set (Ign, gas tank, seat and cases) for a V2 in their hand ready to install on my bike as a warranty item. After finding out that they have had the lock set for a week and no had called me I asked when they had planned on calling me. The parts/service counter folks mumbled something about not know it was for me, they fired a guy... excuse after excuse.
I asked for the lock kit and I tore into it to only find the same 3 flat blade type locks. Thoroughly disgusted, asked for the manager. Once he came out, I walked him over to the new V2 Adv sitting on the floor and asked him to pop the cases open to expose the locks. He had the same parts/service guy to come over and open the cases. I showed him the difference between the locks. I then showed him how to pop the tumblers out of the locks so he could see how easy it was to put my already keyed tumblers back into those new locks.
After all of this, I then asked the manager to replace my bags wit the bags on the new v2 and to put my tumblers into the bags. He agreed, but then he decided to have his service team use my bags but pull the locks out of the new V2 and insert my keyed tumblers.... Whatever works for you man!

So now I am waiting to get my bags back which they said they would call me in the morning to come pick them up. Needless to say, I will just show up a little before noon tomorrow and camp out until they have the bags back to me.

Blade locks that came with the bike.

90 degree bent arrows on the new Adventure

·
Registered
59 Posts
I think those straight plates are just holding the assembly together. It comes off and the 90degree lock piece fastens in it's place. Did the lock piece come with the bags?

·
Registered
52 Posts
No, nothing but the locks you see in the first picture.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think those straight plates are just holding the assembly together. It comes off and the 90degree lock piece fastens in it's place. Did the lock piece come with the bags?
Update, today I got the call to come get my bags. Evidently those 90 degree lock pieces were included in the other lock and key set from the factory.

Good Catch!
Now we know.:laugh2:

Reactions: We2V2

·
Registered
650 Posts
Update, today I got the call to come get my bags. Evidently those 90 degree lock pieces were included in the other lock and key set from the factory.

Good Catch!
Now we know.:laugh2:
Yep, the arrow pieces come with the lock set and also 4 countersunk screws to suit. The flat plates are "disposable" and are only loosly fitted. The instructions that come with the lock sets state to use threadlocker on the screws. It seems your set of arrows etc went AWOL :(
it is interesting the ignition key is sooo long and the side case locks soo short! there is more of the key outside the lock than in it :laugh2:

·
Registered
52 Posts
To bring things back around to the First Service topic, after my lock snafu and the dealers two of the three local dealers denying that the Touring screen comes with the Adv model and the fact that I was the one that had to chase the dealer for the last month to resolve my lock issues.... I am done with any local shop touching my new bike. I will log the receipts and service work I do to it. I hope this satisfies Suzuki if I ever need to resolve a warranty issue.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Any state licensed motor vehicle repair shop (if your state has such licensing) can do any of the work you pay for. Be sure you list all the required work on the work order and show the materials used---just oil and filter in this case. This work order and receipt will be all the proof needed. You only need to return to a Suzuki dealer for warranty repairs Suzuki pays for.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I live in Sydney Australia and have a 15 XT 650 . My dealer tells me that the first service 1000 klm service will cost more than $300 so i`m doing it myself, a lot of money for an oil change and filter.
I`m a maintenance fitter by trade an so far have fitted a centre stand lowering links and fork brace plus driving lights and power pickups. If anything does go wrong in the warranty period it won't be my fault so the law says they must honor the terms of the warranty.

Patrick

·
Registered
392 Posts
I live in Sydney Australia and have a 15 XT 650 . My dealer tells me that the first service 1000 klm service will cost more than $300 so i`m doing it myself, a lot of money for an oil change and filter.
I`m a maintenance fitter by trade an so far have fitted a centre stand lowering links and fork brace plus driving lights and power pickups. If anything does go wrong in the warranty period it won't be my fault so the law says they must honor the terms of the warranty.

Patrick
Hey mate I had a discussion with my dealer who agreed to help me out with any warranty issues grudgingly after a long explanation that i do my own minor services and work etc on all my bikes, but that was only if I got my valve checks done with him and bought oil and filters from him also.

The way I understand it for warranty to be honoured your going to need a Suzuki dealer on your side as they will be the one to do any actual work, not Suzuki Australia who will want to be satisfied that there are no owner caused issues before they accept a claim for warranty.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts