StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, is it worth getting K&N air and oil filters installed?
Should I just do the work myself?

And a few bonus questions...
Dealer didn't have a skid plate/cooler guard thingy in their catalog. What is it I am looking for? Where can I get it? Can I install it myself easily enough?

I'm competent with a car so I should be able to manage most of the mechanical stuff. Just don't want to be drilling frames, etc...

Thanks, in advance. You guys seem to have all the answers!

·
Registered
56 Posts
about the only thing that needs done for the first service 600 mile. is change oil and filter, check for loose bolts and give it a good looking over.
not sure K&N is any better than anything else
yes I would do it myself. that way you know what and how it was done
look in the vendor section here. you will find what you are looking for. there are a few vendors here that make great stuff. I got my new bike about a week ago and have spent almost all week getting it all installed. I have to say that the vendors here sell very nice items. as for what I have done so far everything has fit and worked great. I am very happy. you can see the items I have done so far here
vstrom pictures by n7myr - Photobucket

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, no way to add the skid plate without crash bars?

And, is the Chilton manual a good investment?

·
Registered
56 Posts
yes
the skid plate attaches to the crash bars
I would rather have the oem manual in place of the Chilton

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, thanks!
Since I will never be off roaring is there really any need for the Skid plate? What about the radiator and oil cooler covers?
Or should I go center stand first?

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Ok, thanks!
Since I will never be off roaring is there really any need for the Skid plate? What about the radiator and oil cooler covers?
Or should I go center stand first?
If you don't go off road the sump guard isn't needed.

I thought the radiator guard was a waste of time until I met a rider who'd had a roofing nail flick into his radiator ;)

However, heavy fly screen mesh and silicone will do a good job of that if you have any mechanical aptitude at all.

The oil cooler is already well protected.

I found the centre stand really useful when touring, mainly because it meant I could park the bike in places it wouldn't have fitted neatly without the stand. It does also make most maintenance easier but I lived without one for 3 years - so not essential unless you need the smaller parking profile.

Pete

·
Registered
56 Posts
I am not sure you would need the skid plate if you are going to stay on the road. (but) if you want highway pegs then you have to build from the crash bars to the skid plate to the highway pegs
at least that is what I did and it turned out great (for me)
I have a bum knee and so the peg lowering kit and highway pegs have made all the difference in the world for me
the oil cooler is already protected pretty well but the radiator is sticking out there like a sore thumb. and to replace it is big $$$ and to be broke down on the road is not a fun time. you could build a radiator guard pretty cheap and or there are lots of them out there to choose from for not a lot of $$$

·
Registered
392 Posts
air filter

The advantage to the K&N air filter is it's a lifetime filter, easily serviced at home. If you can't service it yourself it'll be fairly expensive for the dealer to do it. So....if you arn't going to put it on yourself, probably better off with the stock filter.

Has to be washed (then dried) when it's dirty then reoiled, lots of time waiting, time is money in the dealer.

Bill H.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts