StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just completed my first out-of-state road trip on my '13 DL650. I've had the bike since early August and, until this past Friday, I've ridden within a 200 mile radius.

On Friday I left Raleigh, NC and started a 1,370 mile round trip to Louisville, KY. The route consisted primarily of 2 lane roads in NC, TN, VA, and KY. Some great roads ranging from fast sweepers to slow, technical switchbacks.

My previous bike was a '03 BMW K1200GT, 130 hp, heated grips/seat, electronic windshield, electronic cruise control, ABS, hard bags. The Strom has half the horsepower, no heated grips/seat, no cruise control, no hard bags. It does have ABS.

So, how did the Strom do, particularly when compared to the Beemer? Very well. Because the Strom is significantly lighter, it is much more nimble. In my opinion, the Strom handles better than the Beemer. Other advantages of the Strom include consistent engine temp [the Beemer would be variable], more comfortable seat, better MPG and on regular fuel, two trip odometers, and smoother transmission.

What do I miss most from the Beemer? Electronic cruise control. Even though I have a Cramp Buster on the Strom and it is helpful, there is no comparison to electronic cruise. Also, while the brakes on the Strom are adequate, they are not as good as the Beemer.

If I were to do the same trip tomorrow and had the choice of the K1200GT or the Strom, which would I pick? It is not even close. I'd pick the Strom.

The following is a partial listing of the roads I took on this trip. Some of these are really good....if you get the chance you should try them out.

704 out of Eden, NC
89 in NC
18 in NC
88 in NC
421 in TN and KY - quite a few switchbacks
80 in KY
15 in KY
52 in KY
89 in KY
49 in KY
192 in KY
268 in NC
66 in NC
770 in NC

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, no pics. The only stops I made on this trip were for fuel and food. Difficult to take a good pic when moving on these roads as they require your attention.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have about 3K on my Glee and I have the same opinion as you do. Very good bike and has exceeded my expectations

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Glad to hear your happy with your strom.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just did my first big ride/camp trip on my '13 and the bike performed flawlessly. I had a cramp buster on the bike but for this trip I bought the Go Cruise throttle controller- if you don't know about it, it's just a little piece of plastic that you push down with your finger that pinches against the brake lever and holds the throttle open.

It works- it's not a cruise control by any stretch of the imagination and it won't hold a steady cruising speed for very long but it does give you a chance to take your right hand off the the bar and shake it out for a little. It's only about twenty bucks and I'm happy that I added it to my bike for my 2100 mile, 7 day ride.

I was really impressed by the bike- I put an Alaskan sheepskin seat cover on it and that one mod was a game changer for me. I rode the bike all day long for every day of the trip- by the end of the day I was ready to be off the bike but I wasn't dying and, in fact, I could have done another hundred miles or so. It's just that by the end of the day I was craving a cold beer and a hot meal.

When I bought the bike, I was considering the Triumph Tiger 800 but I just couldn't justify the extra few thousand bucks for it- dealer sold me a '13 for the price of a '12, a price I could afford- so I grabbed it. It's turned out to put a smile on my face every time I ride it and, now, I can't wait to get on it and do another long trip.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Sweet. You're next-door. Nice roads in the area. Let's go grab lunch one Saturday or Sunday. :thumbup:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Beemer did have, in my opinion, very hard seats. I've always compared it to an upholstered rock.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Shag...I'd be glad to meet you for lunch anytime (except this Sunday). Just let me know when and where. Perhaps we could meet and ride to a good lunch place.

G

·
0 Posts
I have to agree with him. The strom is a great bike and the seat is awesome! Its the best seat of any bike I have ever owned honestly. I have just done 250 miles in a day and 625 in a day. I did that for 10 days straight and my butt was fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts