StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought my Wee as a 90% solo sport-tourer a month ago and have put 1500 miles on it. I did spend 6 hrs in the saddle today riding 2-up with my son for the first time. I weigh 230 fully geared, he weighs 125 fully geared, and I do have a fork brace. Rear preload set to max, front forks set to line 2 from the top. My initial impressions, for those interested in a spectrum of opinions on the matter. Just to clarify, this is not a Wee/Vee debate.

First of all anyone can tour 2-up on the wee and do just fine based on my impression today. So with the premise that the performance 2-up is perfectly acceptable, let me raise the bar and ask, is it good? In a nutshell, not really. The main issue is the suspension. It's not up to the task without mods in my opinion. This is true for the Vee also presumably since they share the same rear suspension. Not only can I bottom out the suspension if I try, it feels unsettled and overtaxed when pressed. Unlike riding solo, it does not inspire confidence. As others have noticed, the front end lightens up which degrades steering response and increases understeer.

The power is not a big issue. I like this powerplant and I passed cars comfortably going uphill with no drama. Sure I'm using 100% of the mill instead of using 60% of the BMW mill I just sold, but it gets the job done. I'm not ricky racer with a passenger on the back anyways. Whether Vee power with the trade-offs involved there is better for 2-up is another discussion.

Bottom line, 2-up on the wee no problem, but really needs mods if you want to take it from acceptable to good for this application. I would guess for a grand you could transform the ride, and I see many here that have and i may myself at some point. For me, solo riding at this price point, it cannot be beat and never fails to make me smile. For infrequent 2-up rides, it's perfectly adequate, and you could go cross-country two up and get by just fine if you were willing to put up with the limitations.

·
Registered
154 Posts
i recently installed a progressive rear shock form murphs, and am quite happy with the price/benefit ratio. headlights don't need to be readjusted 2-up anymore. only time will tell, not enough miles to really have an opinion beyond great first impression

·
Registered
226 Posts
I've done a few two-up road trips on my Wee now at pretty much max weight for the bike. Power is sufficient for my wife to slap my helmet if I give it too much and no problems cruising at superslab speeds, so no issue there.

I haven't noticed any bottoming out issues with the suspension at all. I do adjust my shocky pre-load up to max height before riding two-up so maybe that's it??

·
Registered
178 Posts
The worst I have had running 2up is all that rearward weight.

I clock in at 220 and the wife is 140... But I also have two fully loaded 20lb empty ammo cans on the rear...

What all that weight in the rear does is make my steering slightly squirrelly under hard acceleration. NOT uncontrollable, but just enough that I realize the potential for an unintentional wheelie is possible.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Use a tank bag and put a few heavy items from your luggage in it (wine bottles :)) to balance the bike out a bit more. But yeah, the feeling of a potential wheelie is much greater when fully loaded and two-up, especially when going up a hill as well. This is one time when the lesser power of the Wee versus Vee is desirable IMO.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I am 320 lbs and I ride solo 100 percent. I find the power just fine solo but I just dont see the wee being good at 2 up unless its 2 lighter weight people. By myselft I have a ton of sag in the rear end I bottomed out a few times this last weekend. On that note, my elka 3 way is being built right now. I hope it helps the rear end out. Hey eye surgeon, what did you think of on the front end with all the extra weight. I know I am modding the froint end out. I have new sonic springs, oil, race tech emulators and fork brace waiting to go on. I think the suspension and brakes are the 2 areas in most need from stock. Its sadly pathetic stock. The brakes too but that can wait until the winter when I can completely replace the calipers, master cylinder and add ss lines.

·
Premium Member
3,124 Posts
I've only had the wife on the back a few times, and the bike feels fine - considering I'm carting around an extra 125 lbs! Sure, I only clock in at 200lbs, but after adjusting the preload, I really have no complaints. But, I do feel like I'm nearing the outer limits of my bone-stock suspension's comfort zone - that's to be clearly expected. I guess that unless you are on a touring bike, not too many motorcycles are going to feel spectacularly awesome, with a full load hangin' over the rear axle, it's unavoidable.

That said, I'm not riding the bike like a madman with the wife on board, so it all balances out. As for the stock shock - it's way better than it has any right to be, for such a low-cost price point/target item. If you want it dialed, you're just going to have to skip a few happy-meal$$$ and buy some suspension bits to bring up the ride to your expectations. The Wee is not unique in this - most motorcycles at that price point deal with the same issues, so don't feel like this is a unique occurrence.

·
$tromTrooper
1,741 Posts
Bottom line, 2-up on the wee no problem, but really needs mods if you want to take it from acceptable to good for this application. I would guess for a grand you could transform the ride, and I see many here that have and i may myself at some point. For me, solo riding at this price point, it cannot be beat and never fails to make me smile. For infrequent 2-up rides, it's perfectly adequate, and you could go cross-country two up and get by just fine if you were willing to put up with the limitations.

The wife and I have put about 5k miles on our Wee, riding everything from tarmac twisties to rough fire roads in Colorado. The Wee is a very capable 2-Up machine. We have even done a 540 mile day and it was A-ok.

I will agree with you about the suspension. I upgraded to Sonic Springs in the front and am about to get Sasquach to rebuild my rear shock. But I think $1k is a bit high.....maybe more like $600.

By the way, I go about 250 lbs and the wife is about 140 lbs. When we add another 100 lbs of boxes and stuff inside.....we are at the limit.

·
Cat Herder
2,480 Posts
Never bottom out mine with me at 225 pounds, the wife at 150, and with topcase and Jesse Ody II's. My skidplate touches on real hard bumps, but I've never felt the rear bottom. :confused:

Stock suspension.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I bottomed it out over a big bump going pretty fast. Not typical riding but I did hit the limit of the rear shock.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Never bottom out mine with me at 225 pounds, the wife at 150, and with topcase and Jesse Ody II's. My skidplate touches on real hard bumps, but I've never felt the rear bottom. :confused:

Stock suspension.
Solo, me 320 lbs, leaned into a tight 180 degree switchback at 50-60mph I hit a big dip in the road. Bottomed out the shock and kissed the peg. Scared the bejeezus out of me. :yikes:

I am sure alot of it has to do with how you ride. I may at times fall into the aggresive category.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for the thoughts in this thread. I'm currently deciding between a 650 and a 1000 and we take a few 2-up trips throughout the year...

·
Cat Herder
2,480 Posts
Solo, me 320 lbs, leaned into a tight 180 degree switchback at 50-60mph I hit a big dip in the road. Bottomed out the shock and kissed the peg. Scared the bejeezus out of me. :yikes:

I am sure alot of it has to do with how you ride. I may at times fall into the aggresive category.
I've done that before too in a hard 90 degree turn with an immediate 90 left hander...hell, I didn't even hit a bump to do it. And I was only going 25 - 30 mph. The corner of my skidplate touched down when I had to cut pretty hard because the corner was negatively banked, and the car coming the opposite way was cutting into my lane on the corner. Unsettled the Strom (AND ME!). Wife thought it was normal and didn't have a clue until I checked my skidplate at the next stop.

·
Registered
323 Posts
on the cheap

For all of you on the heavier side ,and that includes me.You may want to try a spacer under the spring ,about a 1/4 in makes a huge difference ,also for those riding 2-up helps as well I know you 2-upers have adjusted the spring preload to the max but you may also want to adjust the comp. damping on the botttom of your shock this also helps a lot for 2-up riding I find for solo riding I can back the preload right off to come back down to a more normal ride and when my wife gets on I jack-up the spring to full and tightenup the Damping ,I usually do not go full damping ,maybe 3/4 or so .Note I do have heavier springs up frt to help balence everything out ....Its a cheaper way for a better ride with the wife on board and I dont feel like Im driving a boat...

·
Registered
609 Posts
For all of you on the heavier side ,and that includes me.You may want to try a spacer under the spring ,about a 1/4 in makes a huge difference ,also for those riding 2-up helps as well I know you 2-upers have adjusted the spring preload to the max but you may also want to adjust the comp. damping on the botttom of your shock this also helps a lot for 2-up riding I find for solo riding I can back the preload right off to come back down to a more normal ride and when my wife gets on I jack-up the spring to full and tightenup the Damping ,I usually do not go full damping ,maybe 3/4 or so .Note I do have heavier springs up frt to help balence everything out ....Its a cheaper way for a better ride with the wife on board and I dont feel like Im driving a boat...
a spacer spring just seems like a bandaid. I decided to order a Elka 3-way. tick...tock...tick...tock.....is it here yet?:headbang:

·
Registered
506 Posts
I don't have a problem with the wee 2-up either. My wife and I weigh in at around 290-300 lbs total though..., without gear. Heck, I don't know what we would weigh with the gear on, I never weighed that.

BTW-What's wrong with riding like a boat? I figure it gets me in shape for that wing someday...:beatnik:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts