StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I picked up my 2014 V-Strom 1000. I've been riding for 4 years but the V-Strom has always been my dream bike. I've had cruisers, classics and sport bikes so the adventure class was the next step. In June I went from a harley road king to a triumph bonneville. While I loved the bonne it should be stated I'm 6'5 and 4 bills. I'm not a tiny man. I looked like a bear on a minibike but that bike made me fall back in love with riding. My local dealer had the Strom with 10k on it listed for 8000. My dream bike in a reasonable price range from my local guys was too good to let pass. I road this bike home. A bike I could finally fit on and I couldn't stop smiling. This is the bike I've been looking for. My wife and I are planning a 4000 mile road trip next year for our honeymoon. I'm a food blogger and a barbecue lover so it'll be through the south to get as much knowledge of the food as I can and this bike is absolutely perfect for this. I'm just in awe at how much I am loving this bike. I can't wait to take it for a nice long ride this weekend.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
V-Strom was your dream bike, huh? Well it's a great bike but you're quite the simple man I'd say! A big guy like you needs a Gold Wing! Now that's a bike to dream of IMO. But they're your dreams so welcome to the family!

·
Registered
11,528 Posts
V-Stroms have probably put more overweight cruisers into a semi-permanent storage than any other bike. Two guys I ride with who are BMW GS owners both have Harleys gathering dust. Adventure touring is exploding. Great choice!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm 26 and have absolutely no desire to be on a gold wing. this bike is a perfect fit. I can tour on it if I want but I can still take the back roads of my wonderful state of WV and not feel like I'm going to lose the bike in every turn.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can't seem to edit so it's missing the other half I wrote on my phone. so continued... Though I do understand the desire for a gold wing those are impressive machines I just have no desire to have one. too much for me to handle. And thank you for the welcome. I feel like I'm going to like it here. A lot.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Welcome aboard! I have an 81 Goldwing and really enjoy it but it gets neglected because the strom is just better for me. Of course, a newer wing might be much more comfortable but I'm not ready to go there yet.

·
Administrator
17,390 Posts
I am on my 3rd Strom, good choice chef!!!!!

·
Registered
727 Posts
Goldwings, surprisingly, are pretty cramped.:fineprint:
O.P. , get fork and shock springs for your weight, you'll love the bike even more.:wink2:

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Last night I picked up my 2014 V-Strom 1000. I've been riding for 4 years but the V-Strom has always been my dream bike. I've had cruisers, classics and sport bikes so the adventure class was the next step. In June I went from a harley road king to a triumph bonneville. While I loved the bonne it should be stated I'm 6'5 and 4 bills. I'm not a tiny man. I looked like a bear on a minibike but that bike made me fall back in love with riding. My local dealer had the Strom with 10k on it listed for 8000. My dream bike in a reasonable price range from my local guys was too good to let pass. I road this bike home. A bike I could finally fit on and I couldn't stop smiling. This is the bike I've been looking for. My wife and I are planning a 4000 mile road trip next year for our honeymoon. I'm a food blogger and a barbecue lover so it'll be through the south to get as much knowledge of the food as I can and this bike is absolutely perfect for this. I'm just in awe at how much I am loving this bike. I can't wait to take it for a nice long ride this weekend.
I am with you. I have had my 2014 dl1000 for a couple of weeks and I can't believe how much I like the bike. it is a nice, nice... bike. It's great for around town and for touring. For touring, I like it better than my ST1300.

I did have to replace the windshield (GIVI Airflow) and I will replace the seat.

Your 4,000 road trip sounds like a blast.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Yep, they're pretty darn good bikes. I've really enjoyed mine, planning a 4,000 mile trip to begin next week, weather permitting.
On a 4000 mile ride, the weathers going to come..

·
Registered
261 Posts
Congrats on the new bike!
Your honeymoon trip sounds awesome. Is she going to be on her own bike, or you riding 2-up?

·
Premium Member
5,220 Posts
Thats the best suggestion ...you may want to alter the pegs as well

Good farkle is Madstad windscreen bracket - lets you control height and tilt on the windscreen.

Great bike. Enjoy.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So you end up getting Strom instead ST or GSX? Way to go!
I did. The loan didn't go through with the GSX and the ST was sold by the time I got there. So my wife and I decided that the Strom might be a higher payment but it's worth it in the end and it absolutely is. I've only got around 200 miles under the belt but I want to get as much as I can before the cold really gets here.

I'd post a picture of myself on the bike but from what the site says I'm still too young. I'll fix that soon.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Congrats on the new bike!
Your honeymoon trip sounds awesome. Is she going to be on her own bike, or you riding 2-up?
She is going on her 2000 1200s sporster. We're really excited. 3 week trip throughout the south hitting all types of barbecue joints and writing about all the types of barbecue and the trip itself on my blog. Plus so many great roads.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts