StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey New here, just picked up a leftover 2014 from a dealer last weekend.
Just came off a DRZ400s and a TU250x. I always had a soft spot for the new DL1000 so pulled the trigger.
Rode about 100 miles this week, but just finished a 300 mile ride today.

- I have the knocking issue, sounds like its coming from the clutch basket. will try getting the throttle bodies sync'd
- I'm 5'8'', windscreen is just a couple inches too low, alot of head shake, looking for a OEM adventure screen. Not looking for something too large.
- Also, I found for the first time, by wrist hurts and back hurts. Thinking changing bars.
- Weird, my knees took off some of he clear-coat finish off the tank. Annoying. (warranty?)
- first gear is too tall
- Whats the draft from the front forks? I was going down a dirt/sand road, and sand was flying up under my helmet into my eyes. That sucked made it difficult, worse when standing. How can i Fix that, its really important. Helmet chin guard?
- Have been softening the suspension for more off-road use. I working on a theory to increase pre-load on the shocks so I can use more of the suspension, but I do risk topping out. Also looking to have more pre-load on the front to help get weight off the front wheel, which in my opinion helps sand riding.
- Has anyone put their suspension on full soft?(excluding rebound)

Have a few thing on order
- Givi crash bars
- Enduro guardian skid plate
- michelin anakee wild tires
- front fork fender raiser
- 45t rear sprocket
- suspension socks
- engine case guards
- tank pads

Love the bike. Thanks Stromtroopers.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Enjoy your new vstrom, once properly accessorized they are great bikes.

I installed a set of Holeshot Comfort Bars, kept them on for a year+. They eliminated the wrist, shoulders, and back pain. But the grip section was bent in an unnatural position for me, and too narrow overall. I replaced the Holeshots with original bars last weekend. Two or three days ago I added the SW-MOTECH bar risers. After a 70 mile, and 200+ mile rides, I'm convinced this combination is best for me.

Also, I have both short windscreen & adventure screen in my garage not being used.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,212 Posts
Madstad bracket for sure will help with Airflow....best farkle ever

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
You might try a fender extender. That will keep some of the mud and sand off of the engine and perhaps reduce the sand in your eyes.Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new 1000. I've had mine for 10 years and can't part with it.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Start by loosening the bar clamps and rotating the bar a little up or down a tad.

If you're having knocking issues on a brand new bike, I'd take it back to the dealer and have them check it.

A little bit of polishing compound should clean up the clearcoat on the tank, then get some stompgrip or techspec pads

·
Administrator
13,731 Posts
You might try a fender extender. That will keep some of the mud and sand off of the engine and perhaps reduce the sand in your eyes.Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new 1000. I've had mine for 10 years and can't part with it.
The 2014+ DL1000 has what amounts to a fender extender molded into the front fender. No need to add one.

..Tom

·
Registered
11,528 Posts
Excellent bike. I have been FARKLing on my 2014 1000 ever since I upgraded last November.

Reactions: steve85248

·
Registered
11,528 Posts
I would do the windshield first. (Givi Airflow is my favorite - $93 direct from Italy plus shipping) It had the largest riding impact for me.

Centerstand second for ease of chain maintenance IMO. (OEM or SW-Motech are fine)

Probably crash bars and skid next - damage control from gravel or a tip over and that exposed oil filter. I do a little gravel on our fire roads so there is a radiator guard too. Cheap insurance. My 650 radiator took a rock before I added one (it came from a truck ahead of me on a paved road lol) but not much damage luckily (Ravetech). My skid is only a light duty rock fender (Givi) if you do serious off-road I would get a heavy duty skid (Enduro Guardian or Emperor).

For me the top case is next (mine is Givi V47 w/ AdMore Lighting tail lights set) - it can hold two full sized helmets). I have the basic tools, tire kit w/mini compressor, rain gear, first aid, TP, etc.

I have the small Mondomoto LEDs (mounted on inside of crash bars) on all of the time for visibility so maybe them next. I have a gps (Garmin Zumo 665 w/ Ravetech mount), phone (Ram Claw mount, and radar detector with a Sena unit (excellent) on my helmet but those are personal preference I guess. The big Denali DR1 lights only get used occasionally (I get complaints from my biking buds as they are very bright - they make me ride point lol). The tool tube holds my wax based chain lube and some rags. (get the Agriculture tool tube version for $6 if you want one).

As you add electronics a fuse box becomes necessary of some kind. I have the Eastern Beaver PC-8 but it is now filled. I also have a Battery Tender lead directly from the battery. It can power the air compressor too and is tied down on the rear frame for easy access.

I put on the Euro OEM decals on strictly as fluff. I also have front and rear action cameras for catching the crazies and interesting things that happen. Unlike the 650 which needed handlebar risers and a new seat for me this bike fits me pretty well as-is and is comfortable over hours. I may add 1" risers since I have a set but they are not really necessary for me.

Reactions: griff010

·
Administrator
17,368 Posts
Start by loosening the bar clamps and rotating the bar a little up or down a tad.

If you're having knocking issues on a brand new bike, I'd take it back to the dealer and have them check it.

A little bit of polishing compound should clean up the clearcoat on the tank, then get some stompgrip or techspec pads
They won't be able to solve it and will just say "its normal and to ignore it", but there is a fix. :wink2:

·
Premium Member
5,212 Posts
I would do the windshield first. (Givi Airflow is my favorite - $93 direct from Italy plus shipping) It had the largest riding impact for me.
I'd try the Madstad on the stock screen first ....but the Madstad with the Givi is the best of all.

Reactions: SECoda

·
Premium Member
5,212 Posts
If you've nevr tried the Madstat how would you know ? >:)

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
-... Whats the draft from the front forks? I was going down a dirt/sand road, and sand was flying up under my helmet into my eyes. That sucked made it difficult, worse when standing. How can i Fix that, its really important. Helmet chin guard? ....
That upward draft was one of the first things I noticed, too. Annoying is an understatement.
I did a fix and posted what worked for me in the buffering thread. It is a little long winded, sorry, but ...
http://www.stromtrooper.com/4286369-post668.html

·
Administrator
17,368 Posts
Yup let's please keep windshield and buffeting talk in the proper place. ;)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That upward draft was one of the first things I noticed, too. Annoying is an understatement.
I did a fix and posted what worked for me in the buffering thread. It is a little long winded, sorry, but ...
Yup let's please keep windshield and buffeting talk in the proper place. ;)
I am not too concerned with the windsheild buffering. But i do want to stop the sand flowing up through the forks. I see your tank bag covers the forks. I wonder if adding some kind of mesh around the forks would help.:bom_thinking:

1 - 20 of 62 Posts