StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a day!
Finally got to ride the K4 Wee I bought in December, just before snow covered the land. What a gorgeous machine the V-Strom is! Other than the pathetic windshield and teeny mirrors, that bike is a nearly perfect design/price compromise, as far as I can tell. I adjusted the windshield to the lowest possible setting in order to get rid of the concussion-inducing wind buffet and will have to get some mirror extenders, I think.
Nice gearbox, pothole-proof suspension, smooth, nearly linear power curve, stiff, responsive frame and great riding position make this bike a winner in my book. I will miss riding my 1983 GS450L, but it is time to make that one a museum piece, after all the hard work it did for me. I rode from Quinte West to Stirling then back down through Frankford and all over the Trenton area. The pics were taken at the Keating-Hoards Natural Habitat area near Stirling. The dirt road beckoned, but so did date night...
Here are some pics from today. The only farkle I purchased so far is the Givi crash bars. A Hyde Racing skid plate and a JC Whitney or Oxford top box will be next, I think.

1544548_10151928045041373_1757595150_n.jpg

1962773_10151928045161373_461239019_n.jpg

993029_10151928045031373_761434242_n.jpg

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
I did the same today on my purchased in December Wee. Couldn't take it anymore. Took it for a 100 km spin. Finally had a time and cooperative weather to pull it out of garage, get the safety cert. and a registration. The weather here in Mississauga and Oakville area was irresistible. Yup. First ride of the year. Hopefully it won't take to long to go for the next one.

·
Registered
132 Posts
What a day!
Finally got to ride the K4 Wee I bought in December, just before snow covered the land. What a gorgeous machine the V-Strom is! Other than the pathetic windshield and teeny mirrors, that bike is a nearly perfect design/price compromise, as far as I can tell. I adjusted the windshield to the lowest possible setting in order to get rid of the concussion-inducing wind buffet and will have to get some mirror extenders, I think.
Nice gearbox, pothole-proof suspension, smooth, nearly linear power curve, stiff, responsive frame and great riding position make this bike a winner in my book. I will miss riding my 1983 GS450L, but it is time to make that one a museum piece, after all the hard work it did for me. I rode from Quinte West to Stirling then back down through Frankford and all over the Trenton area. The pics were taken at the Keating-Hoards Natural Habitat area near Stirling. The dirt road beckoned, but so did date night...
Here are some pics from today. The only farkle I purchased so far is the Givi crash bars. A Hyde Racing skid plate and a JC Whitney or Oxford top box will be next, I think.

View attachment 68089

View attachment 68097

View attachment 68105
... I hear the blue ones are faster ( mine is still sitting in a crate ) and it's blue.

Ride safe

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
... I hear the blue ones are faster ( mine is still sitting in a crate ) and it's blue.

Ride safe
Not sure if they are faster, but they are apparently invisible... Had two smidsy incidents in two hours. Gotta love cagers...(Says the guy who gladly drove a car all winter...) Still in a crate? Sweet! A brand new ride then?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Not sure if they are faster, but they are apparently invisible... Had two smidsy incidents in two hours. Gotta love cagers...(Says the guy who gladly drove a car all winter...) Still in a crate? Sweet! A brand new ride then?
Yes...brand new

And over the winter my office has filled up with farkle..

Should take me a weekend to install it all.. Going to be a blast

I've decided its my last motorcycle.. Going to keep it a long tine.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
I am just in Odessa and placing an order either tomorrow or Monday from richland rick. If you want to save on shipping/duty on the mirror extenders let me know, you can contact him for payment and then have him send it on my order. I am buying pretty much everything he sells LOL.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Too late!

I am just in Odessa and placing an order either tomorrow or Monday from richland rick. If you want to save on shipping/duty on the mirror extenders let me know, you can contact him for payment and then have him send it on my order. I am buying pretty much everything he sells LOL.
I placed an order already, since the fork braces are on sale... It will be shipped to the US border, since that saves a lot on shipping. I went a little crazy and also ordered a top box and a throttle lock from JC WHitney... Oh well, the wife won't find out, right? :yikes: See you private messages, Tenny80.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
508 Posts
I bought my 05 in late November and only got to put 300 miles it. I rode it to work on Monday. I was going to ride it down this gravel road but then I thought do I really want clean this concrete gravel off and turned around. I too am looking forward to putting more miles and farkles.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bought my 05 in late November and only got to put 300 miles it. I rode it to work on Monday. I was going to ride it down this gravel road but then I thought do I really want clean this concrete gravel off and turned around. I too am looking forward to putting more miles and farkles.

Oh, good looking bike there!

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
I placed an order already, since the fork braces are on sale... It will be shipped to the US border, since that saves a lot on shipping. I went a little crazy and also ordered a top box and a throttle lock from JC WHitney... Oh well, the wife won't find out, right? :yikes: See you private messages, Tenny80.
lol I have been doing the same thing this winter... it's going to take me a weekend to install everything i've bought for the bike!

fork brace
over dash gps mount
ram accessories to mount s3 phone
mirror extenders
peg lowering kit
foam grip covers
oil and filter
iridium spark plugs
k&n air filter
jc whitney top case
new yausa battery
russel day long seat
cee baily windscreen
metzler tourance tires
and a new shed to she can stay dry, was a pita using a cover.

and I feel like I am still forgetting a few things...

damn that is a lot know that I have written it all out in one place... I've got most of it over the winter so the wife really hasn't noticed how much i've actually spent on the bike LOL.

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Windshields in Ontario

griffondude: You call your windshield "pathetic" and probably hope to learn what setup is better than you have now. I can tell you, you are in the right place to learn. I have ridden in 38 states and all ten provinces of Canada, and I can tell you Ontario is where I have found the greatest variety in windshield setups.

I joined "Heavy" in Barrie for the late-April-or-early-May ride a few times, and every time I saw a collection of Stroms in Ontario I saw a great variety of windshields and brackets. They tilt, they slide up-and-down, they have extra holes and layers, they keep beer cold ... well, no, but they are still amazing.

Me, I dunno. I set mine high and rode to Vancouver. It was OK.
Next year, I set it low and rode to Saint John's. It was OK.

I suppose that 45 years of no windshield inured me to some wind.
That's OK too, but I'm not going to change my windshield any time soon.

So please attend that ride (and agitate a bit to get it to happen May 4)
and you will probably learn all you need to know ... and maybe lots more.

Keith

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I joined "Heavy" in Barrie for the late-April-or-early-May ride a few times, and every time I saw a collection of Stroms in Ontario I saw a great variety of windshields and brackets. They tilt, they slide up-and-down, they have extra holes and layers, they keep beer cold ... well, no, but they are still amazing.

So please attend that ride (and agitate a bit to get it to happen May 4)
and you will probably learn all you need to know ... and maybe lots more.

Keith
Oh thanks for the invite! What ride is that exactly? I'd love to join other stromers and learn by osmosis!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
damn that is a lot know that I have written it all out in one place... I've got most of it over the winter so the wife really hasn't noticed how much i've actually spent on the bike LOL.
Wowza that's a lot of stuff! I'll keep your secret if you keep mine!

:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
I'm feeling your excitement! Ain't it great! Now all we need is some decent weather.....:beatnik:
Don't start spending money on farkles until you decide you can live with the stock seat. It makes my ass twinge just looking at it! If you can't do anything else, get a sheepskin pad. :thumbup:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you can't do anything else, get a sheepskin pad. :thumbup:
I was just in Iqaluit looking at relatively cheap pelts. To think I could have a polar bear seat cover now!

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Polar bear seat pad seems pretty ballin! I want one haha... just when I thought i was done!

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
P.S what the heck are you doing in Iqaluit lol

·
1,323 Posts
That's true, I know because I have a blue one as well. But I bet you'll get a few more MPH once it's un-crated. Easily the best performance mod you can do to these bikes.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts