StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a Black 650 V-strom. So far I love the bike, very agile handling, super smooth power delivery, good ground clearance, great passenger comfort. 2-up riding (other than over 75mph on interstate) doesn't seem to be any strain on the bike. And I have no need to go past 75 with or without passenger on Interstates. The fun factor is Very high. Although I'm wondering about quality control on the new 650. As the first one I looked at had a front brake problem, and the one I purchased seems to have a oil leak somewhere.. although it could easily be the oil filter too loose or oil drain plug.. it's warrantied so I'm not too worried. Bike also has plenty of room for storage and would make a great affordable touring bike. Although I don't think I'll travel further than 3-4 hours away from home on it.

E

·
0 Posts
Hey, glad you are liking the bike so much. I also have a black 650, and really like it a lot. I had it out for a 90 mile ride this evening. I live in northern Wisconsin, near Lake Superior. It was about 50 degrees out when i left and 40 or so by the time i returned home. It was a nice ride, that fairing is more effective than it looks like it would be. I have not noticed any problems with mine, only 150 miles on it though. There are a couple of things that I have noticed. The rear brake is not very strong, feels like I have to push on it harder than I think I should have to. It may only require bleeding the brakes, will check it this weekend. I have the windshield in the middle position, and still have some rummble at the top of the helmet. I am going to try the top position to see if it helps. I have noticed a slight rattle in the clutch when it is in nuetral, and the clutch lever is released. This small noise goes away when the clutch lever is pulled. It does not make a lot of noise, certainly no more the the valves do while it is idleing. The forks seem a bit stiff, but maybe they are cold (?) as I have not rode it in temps above 50 degrees. But the rear feels just great! Plush, but in control. Everything else about the bike is just great. Handling is sporty, seating position is comfy, and the torque of the motor is more than you would think from only 650 cc. I think this one is a keeper!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

ya, I agree on the power, I was a little worried about shifting I had seen a few comments on that.. but mine seems to shift very smoothly.. as for the oil drip, I figured out that the shop mechanics put about 1 pint or so too much.. it was way above the site glass.. so this may have been an overflow tube somewhere pushing the oil out?? It only had about 70 miles on it when I checked it.. I lowered it to 1/2 way in the site glass window. I guess I need to go over the whole bike and see if they missed anything else. I don't think it could of hurt anything. I havn't adjusted my fairing yet it looks time consuming.. but I believe I end up in the highest position when I do change it. The black looks nice, but it will be hard to keep clean.. the salesman suggested something called Honda Brite? Ever used that product?

P

·
0 Posts
Re: 650

jsmith811 said:
as for the oil drip, I figured out that the shop mechanics put about 1 pint or so too much.. it was way above the site glass.. so this may have been an overflow tube somewhere pushing the oil out?? It only had about 70 miles on it when I checked it.. I lowered it to 1/2 way in the site glass window. I guess I need to go over the whole bike and see if they missed anything else.
I'd be really concerned about the competency of that service department. Be sure to check your tire pressures if you haven't already. You might want to have a talk with the service manager about both the oil and the brake incidents.

When I bought my DL-1000, it was from a Suzi/Kawi/Duk dealership in town and they did a perfect job setting it up. They were subsequently bought out and merged with a Honda/Yamaha dealer. Although most of the employees transfered over - including the setup man, I had an unsatisfactory experience when I bought my Burgman 650 from the new dealership a few months later. It was delivered to me with only 20 lbs pressure in both the front & rear tires (minimum is supposed to be 33 lbs). I put about 50 miles on it before I figured out why the handling was so bad :(. That made me wonder what else they might have overlooked.

I did take the time to voice my dissatisfaction to both the sales manager and the service manager. They are by far the closest shop to me, so I'm trying to work with them. I know they are capable of good work, but I'm trying to cultivate the understanding that I expect nothing less each time that I use them.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
650 Update

Took the 650 back to the dealer today, and found the seal behind the front sprocket leaking. Replaced, and seems to have fixed the problem. Bike has almost 400 miles now. Handles very well, although suspension seems a little stiff. I almost wish the seat was a little taller if anyone has a 1000 that might want to trade? I understand it's 1/2 inch taller with same base. The only complaint I have is the wind screen, although it's adjutable for 04, I just can't find the right adjustment, if you put it low you get no protection, if you raise it to the highest position it seems to create really rough stream of air at your helmet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts