StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rode my 'new' used 2008 Vee today for the 1st time. Great power and a very smooth and comfortable ride. Did about 100 miles like it was nothing. Found that unit 'likes' to run near 4500rpm and above making 6th gear @ 5K rpm+ nearing 80mph. I guess that'll be good for the highway. Acceleration smooth and quick. Experienced none of the buffeting I'd heard about. Have yet to run above 7K rpm but I bet she likes that too. Felt a little heavy in the turns but I'm sure I'll get used to that. Rode w/ all luggage racks in place so didn't pay attention to fuel economy. I stalled it once on take-off but she quit twice on me when when disengaging for slow turn. Warm Idle rpm just below
1K. Poor fuel, tune up or 'other' responsible for the engine stall? I can deal w/ it by staying active w/ the throttle but I'm assuming this isn't normal.
Any thought?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Is it a leftover '08 and truly new, or just new to you?

If it's really new with very low miles, the engine needs break-in time to get right. Mine took all of 1,000 before it settled in and idled right.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't looked but I did read in another thread that the idle adjustment screw was eliminated for the 2008 model yr. and after. If this is true, how does one increase the idle speed?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
New to me. It's a late '08, but previous owner put 19K miles on her so she's pretty broken in.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I haven't looked but I did read in another thread that the idle adjustment screw was eliminated for the 2008 model yr. and after. If this is true, how does one increase the idle speed?
Have a look. The idle adjustment screw should be there, on the left side. My '09 1K has it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi

Glad you're having a ball on your 2008 Wee.

I have had my DL 650 for a week now. She spins nicely up to 80 mph no trouble and the tickover is constant on mine (I think just over 1k). She has nearly 11,000 miles on her so for a 3 year old bike not too bad IMHO.

I think for the money the Wee is a superb stonking bike and here in the UK they have just bought out the Xpedition version (with the big black panniers).

The bike is very calm on the open road and most of my riding is tarmac with some back roads from time to time. This bike has got to be up there with the greats in my view; it seems to do everything well and with elan.

I have the Givi touring screen on mine and this seems like a great addition as it really keeps the wind off and I can do highway speeds with little or no wind buffeting - a great bike and I only wish I'd got one sooner!

Captain Sensible

·
Registered
988 Posts
Hi

I think for the money the Wee is a superb stonking bike and here in the UK
My wife & I spent 2 weeks driving around England in April. I couldn't help but think that the Strom would be a wonderful bike for your roads. Also it would have been easier to pull off the side of the road so my wife could take EVEN MORE pictures of new lambs in the Cotswolds.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My wife & I spent 2 weeks driving around England in April. I couldn't help but think that the Strom would be a wonderful bike for your roads. Also it would have been easier to pull off the side of the road so my wife could take EVEN MORE pictures of new lambs in the Cotswolds.
The 650 V Strom is superb on British roads. It has all the handling and performance you need.

Now if Suzuki could put a shaft drive on it as a sop to BMW owners they'd even have BMW riders coming over to the ''dark side'' !!!!

Those Cotswold roads are lovely and the tiny villages so pretty (we live in West Sussex and it is pretty as well). I was in Canada last year and over there the scenery is majestic and amazing but NOT pretty!

Here is my blog site...say hello!!!!

http://www.freewebs.com/bonnevilles/index.htm

CS:thumbup:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Have a look. The idle adjustment screw should be there, on the left side. My '09 1K has it.
Yep, you are correct. Increased idle to 1100-1200 and will take it for a cruise once the rain stops; which this 'spring', might end up being July.
Should a bought an Arc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts