StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Review - Motorcycle.com

An interesting observation concerning the engine:

"An alligator count resulted in a four-second timeframe for the Strom to accelerate from 65 mph to 75 mph while in top gear. At 55 mph, though, a downshift from 6th to 5th is required to quickly dispatch slower moving traffic. Otherwise, the engine outputs enough low- and mid-range power to keep things exciting and vibrations to a minimum. Above 5,000 rpm you’ll notice some engine vibes sneaking into the bars and footpegs, but you’re never cruising at this rpm (85 mph is still below the 5k-rpm threshold) unless you’re purposefully wanting to experience the rush that comes when the tach sweeps past 6,000."

·
Registered
106 Posts
:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Those type of numbers are what I wanted to see in a test. Quarter mile, top gear roll-on, etc. Four seconds though from 65-75 does not sound that impressive. I think probably the Wee can do that, at least with a solo rider.

·
Banned
1,121 Posts
Now that is cool!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

That's the plan with mine, Akra (or Yoshi) and Big Blocks (or TKC80) :yesnod:

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Those type of numbers are what I wanted to see in a test. Quarter mile, top gear roll-on, etc. Four seconds though from 65-75 does not sound that impressive. I think probably the Wee can do that, at least with a solo rider.
Agree, I was nonplussed by that informal measurement - but where is this quarter mile time you speak of, that should tell us a lot more!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts

Now that is cool!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

That's the plan with mine, Akra (or Yoshi) and Big Blocks (or TKC80) :yesnod:
I already have that same red reflective rim tape hanging above my workbench to be installed as soon as my red one aka "The Crimson Pigeon" is in my garage.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Agree, I was nonplussed by that informal measurement - but where is this quarter mile time you speak of, that should tell us a lot more!
Sorry, didn't mean to mislead. I meant to say of all the reviews out there so far, it seems no one has of yet given these type of stats. I'd like to see the whole gamut. Qtr. mile, 0-60, top gear roll-on, etc. I wouldn't really care that it's not super fast, but the four-second 65-75 just didn't sound great for a 1000cc motorcycle weighing 500 pounds.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I already have that same red reflective rim tape hanging above my workbench to be installed as soon as my red one aka "The Crimson Pigeon" is in my garage.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
I assume you are also going to paint the valve covers red?

·
Administrator
17,508 Posts
Sorry, didn't mean to mislead. I meant to say of all the reviews out there so far, it seems no one has of yet given these type of stats. I'd like to see the whole gamut. Qtr. mile, 0-60, top gear roll-on, etc. I wouldn't really care that it's not super fast, but the four-second 65-75 just didn't sound great for a 1000cc motorcycle weighing 500 pounds.
Because like I have said many many times before, 6th gear is true overdrive with the stock gearing. I am going to call total BS on that 10 second time though, is that per GPS or speedo? If speedo they are not going 65 Miles per hour due to correction, either way I do not believe the 10 second roll on.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Because like I have said many many times before, 6th gear is true overdrive with the stock gearing. I am going to call total BS on that 10 second time though, is that per GPS or speedo? If speedo they are not going 65 Miles per hour due to correction, either way I do not believe the 10 second roll on.
I thin it was four seconds (or four alligators?) but still...dayum.... :(

I assume you are also going to paint the valve covers red?
I'll be danged but the bike in the picture seems to have a red valve cover on the front, if you look close enough?

Hey maybe I will! I'd like red anodized, I'll have to see if there's a plating shop around here.... :D

·
Administrator
17,508 Posts
I thin it was four seconds (or four alligators?) but still...dayum.... :(

I'll be danged but the bike in the picture seems to have a red valve cover on the front, if you look close enough?

Hey maybe I will! I'd like red anodized, I'll have to see if there's a plating shop around here.... :D
Jeesh your right, what am I smoking. :yikes: Four seconds sounds about right, and the engine is asleep at that RPM range, so that is to be totally expected "same as current" and really not that bad all things considered. When a rider expects it to behave like a GS boxer or a Tenere engine at lower RPM they might be disappointed, drop down a gear and it runs like a raped ape. :yesnod: Sounds like the gearing was changed nicely, should be about right now for the majority.

·
Banned
1,121 Posts

Short video/sound clip of the Yoshimura pipe from Yoshimura RD Instagram :thumbup:

Instagram

Short, but sweet :mrgreen:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts