StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
It looks like we're going to need a buffeting and wind thread for this forum.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
It looks like we're going to need a buffeting and wind thread for this forum.
LMAO in a strange way it's good to know the V-Strom heritage is alive and well with this one. :D

I'll get an MRA Vario windscreen as soon as they make one and never have to think about buffeting again...

·
Banned
1,121 Posts
Hey a Canadian magazine seems to be the first to post a ride review of the new Strom from this weekend's press launch.
Sounds promising.
Check it out here:

Suzuki 1000 V-Strom launch - Canada Moto Guide
Good work, thanks for the link antbrown :thumbup:

Sounds like the VEE II is exactly what I expected, and ticks the right boxes for me.

Good to also see some "real world" photos of the VEE II in the wild :mrgreen:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good work, thanks for the link antbrown :thumbup:

Sounds like the VEE II is exactly what I expected, and ticks the right boxes for me.

Good to also see some "real world" photos of the VEE II in the wild :mrgreen:
You're welcome zedex9r. I'm even more excited about this bike now. I'm sure there will some niggles but every vehicle has some. Teh day they make the perfect vehicle some call me please. The reviewer seems to think it's a good bike. If you want one I think you'd better get your order in soon.
Basically if you like the previous V-Strom you really like the new one I would bet. Suzuki is sure to sell plenty of these especially here in Canada which seems to have the best prices anywhere as yet. About time I say.

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
If the article is even somewhat unbiased, we are in for a great Vee2. It sounds like the heart of the Vstrom is still intact, with great upgrades. If the Vee2 turns out to be my '11 Wee with extra power and new/more creatures of comfort, I will be more than happy.!:hurray:

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
I wonder how many from the lower 48 will go to Canada to buy one. Can you even do that?
Yeah, you can. At least you could as later as around 2001. At one time Suzuki offered the SV650 with a half fairing in Canada but not the US so people were buying Canadian models. It was a hassle but I guess the heart wants what the heart wants.

As for the review, it sounded intriguing. I'm a little bummed about abs you can't turn off (Eastern Beaver will rescue us) and the remark about the abruptness of the throttle at low speeds is concerning but I suppose one can't have everything.
The question would be is it worth $12.5? I doubt it, at least to me, but that may adjust itself.
Interesting remark about the last year of the old dl1000 only selling 400 units world wide. I've never heard anyone put a number to it but that ain't many units, guess it was time for a change.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Good review. No surprises, other than the picture of the top box (open) that looks a lot like the BMW top box, with that silly liner that wastes a huge amount of space. I think I'd probably go the Givi route anyway.

I think that Suzuki spent the right amount of money on the right features and improvements.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Interesting remark about the last year of the old dl1000 only selling 400 units world wide.
"(S)ales dropped to a low of just 400 units worldwide in 2010."

The last model year of the first generation DL1000 was 2012, not 2010. The Vee wasn't offered for sale into the U.S. in MY 2010 or MY 2011. This should give some perspective to the "400 units worldwide" comment.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts

The last model year of the first generation DL1000 was 2012, not 2010. The Vee wasn't offered for sale into the U.S. in MY 2010 or MY 2011. This should give some perspective to the "400 units worldwide" comment.
Actually it kind of does. I wonder what they sold in 2012?
Whatever it was, it had to be a pretty pitiful amount. Definitely time for the new one.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
The question would be is it worth $12.5? I doubt it, at least to me, but that may adjust itself.
I think after the initial buying frenzy, actual prices for the standard model are going to come in under 11,000. There is already a dealer advertising them for 11,299, although that is obviously not his OTD price. But neither is 12,699 an OTD price, so it's a reference point at least.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
I think after the initial buying frenzy, actual prices for the standard model are going to come in under 11,000. There is already a dealer advertising them for 11,299, although that is obviously not his OTD price. But neither is 12,699 an OTD price, so it's a reference point at least.
I don't doubt that although the business of deep discounting is not what I would consider an ideal situation (for the maker) but I suspect that is just about right on the money.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The author - Costa Mouzouris - is well known in Canada. A former editor of Cycle Canada he is also a very skilled licensed mechanic and has competed successfully in several road racing classes and in endurance events, and off road etc. I value his comments as he has earned my respect over the years. He is not just any moto-journalist in my opinion and has owned, wrenched, modified, tested and raced many motorcycles.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I think after the initial buying frenzy, actual prices for the standard model are going to come in under 11,000.
After the bloom of Yamaha's Super Tenere faded a bit, dealer pricing settled down to this side of reality (just). I expect and agree that the same thing should occur with the new V-Strom 1000 after the early adopters have come and gone.

·
Registered
899 Posts
In reading the article, I was struck by the number of refinements that the wee received, which the vee did not. No wonder sales dropped. But it appears that most, if not all, of the vee issues were addressed. I'm really pleased to see the evolution of the motor, rather than an all-new solution. This could be my next bike to replace my ten year old ST13.

·
Registered
727 Posts

This looks like a great bike. My preference has been with the wee, but have a 2014 dl1000 booked for a 2 week Greece guided tour next fall. Their 4 dl650's were alreay booked and i would much rather ride a dl1000 than a BMW. Looking forward to it :)

·
Premium Member
2,987 Posts
Yeah, you can. At least you could as later as around 2001. At one time Suzuki offered the SV650 with a half fairing in Canada but not the US so people were buying Canadian models. It was a hassle but I guess the heart wants what the heart wants.
That was very common in '99, the year the Canada got the S and we didn't. Because the Canadian dollar was in the toilet back then it was cheaper even with import duty (I think there's one??), and Suzuki Canada would give you a letter stating that the Canadian model met all US safety and emissions regs. American Suzuki put it end to that though, so it got a little harder. :(
I don't think the price difference now is enough to make it feasible.
...I'm a little bummed about...the remark about the abruptness of the throttle at low speeds is concerning but I suppose one can't have everything.
That's getting more and more common, no doubt due to emissions regs. I'm assuming/hoping it can be tuned out with a Power Commander.
The question would be is it worth $12.5? I doubt it, at least to me, but that may adjust itself...
Value is always a very personal judgement call, but I think it's priced fairly relative to it's competitors. Time and the market will tell us for sure.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts