StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I heard about plastidip a few years ago, I really wanted to try it out on something.

I mean: it's cheap and once you get fed up with it, you just pull it off. Sounds perfect to me.

I recently bought a cheap DL650 that had some scratches from the previous owner.

Turns out, plastidip works really well.
And (matter of opinion) it looks really great.

Had 1 issue, apperently it doesn't go well with gasoline.
I dripped a bit on the tank and immediately it reacted on the plastidip leaving a stain.
When I got home, I put an extra layer on it, 15 minutes later everything but to perfect :)

I'm pretty happy with it.
What do you guys think?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
121 Posts
It looks really interesting. I'd love a stealthy matte black maybe :) This PlastiDip stuff looks like a bit of fun I'm going to have to try out!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did 5 layers on each panel (4 should be enough I guess). 20 minutes between each layer.

Started on a rainy morning and the bike was put back together at 8 pm.

All in all it cos me a bit of degreaser and 3 spray cans plastidip

·
Registered
22,259 Posts
I took the 4 panels and the tank off.

It's about an extra 30 minutes of work, but the only way to get it right (I guess)

I got that from your first post, I'm asking if you sprayed both sides of the panel, or just the outside that is visible when you put it back on ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got that from your first post, I'm asking if you sprayed both sides of the panel, or just the outside that is visible when you put it back on ?
Ow sorry like that.

No I only sprayed the front.
And a little 'around the corner' to make sure the edges are fully covered

·
Registered
14,169 Posts
I like it. Is that Grey or Black color in the can?
I used Rust-oleum on my other Wee. interesting that you could remove it like a Brazilian wax peel.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
When I got my white V2 I painted it with flat black plastidip mainly to protect the paint on the tank.

Must be about 2 years now ? and the flat black has shown no signs of pealing away or even scratching.

About 6 or 8 months ago I sprayed army green over the flat black but on my tank only.

The army green has not stuck as well to the old flat back and has rubbed away where my knees rub on the tank.

It has only rubbed through the green and down to the black, the black is still fine and there is no signs of white showing through.

PS: I did not remove the beak to plastidip it I just taped it up and painted it in place, I did remove the tank.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Your bike looks great, nice job! I'm hooked on plasti-dip, the stuff is phenomenal! Last year I bought a Harley Heritage for a steal but the damn thing was purple. I sprayed it with 8 coats of black plasti-dip and 2 coats of plasti-dip metalizer. came out fantastic.

-Coop-

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Your bike looks great, nice job! I'm hooked on plasti-dip, the stuff is phenomenal! Last year I bought a Harley Heritage for a steal but the damn thing was purple. I sprayed it with 8 coats of black plasti-dip and 2 coats of plasti-dip metalizer. came out fantastic.

-Coop-
You don't have any issue with the stuff not being fuel resistant?

Spilled a few drops when refilling last time. It left a stain in the colour.

·
Registered
20 Posts
You don't have any issue with the stuff not being fuel resistant?

Spilled a few drops when refilling last time. It left a stain in the colour.

I knew prior to applying the plasti-dip that it was susceptible to fuel damage. I just make sure to be very careful not to drip any fuel on the tank while fueling. I usually carry a rag to cover the nozzle when taking it out of the tank.
-coop-

1 - 14 of 14 Posts