1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Oceania Launch

Behind the scenes from the recent media launch held in New Zealand

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Zedex9r,
Thanks for presenting us with another great video.

This one had a a few mistakes though - the riders were on the wrong side of the road, and spoke with a Brooklyn accent!:green_lol:

My dealer said he was hoping to have a demo Vee2 this week, and hope to hear from him soon for a test ride.

Thanks again for you input on this site.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Had a good look over the demo machine here in Christchurch New Zealand when it arrived at the dealers on Tuesday. Initial impressions are that it feels just like a 650 to sit on, very comfortable riding position and I was surprised that it felt as low as the 650 and as light. Fit and finish looked standard Suzuki, good but not Euro good. Engine sounded very smooth and mechanically very quiet, especially compared to my riding mates KTM 1190 which sounds angry at idle by comparison :mrgreen:
We were in the middle of a nasty storm on Wednesday so no chance of a ride but will hopefully get a ride on the weekend.
Stock is supposed to be in end of this month, early April.
BTW, I don't really like the red. Would like to see the Khaki

·
Registered
4 Posts
Price announced for NZ. $19995 for the standard model. No sign af an "Adventure" version yet.
Im a bit disappointed in the pricing considering its $15,500 in Aussie. That equates to just under $17K in NZ currency.
Maybe its extra duty.
This puts the bike in the same price bracket as the Tiger 800, BMW800, dearer than the Versus 1000 and Aprilia Dorsoduro.
Makes the KTM1190 price look rather attractive...

·
Banned
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Price announced for NZ. $19995 for the standard model. No sign af an "Adventure" version yet.
Im a bit disappointed in the pricing considering its $15,500 in Aussie. That equates to just under $17K in NZ currency.
Maybe its extra duty.
This puts the bike in the same price bracket as the Tiger 800, BMW800, dearer than the Versus 1000 and Aprilia Dorsoduro.
Makes the KTM1190 price look rather attractive...
Wow, that is a bad move by Suzuki NZ.:thumbdown:

·
Banned
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
V-Strom 1000 on front cover of AMCN

Latest issue of AMCN features an article from the NZ launch of the 1000.
Also has the new Strom on the front cover :thumbup:

Article preview:

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
"Oh, and if you like pulling wheelies, even with the traction control turned off the DL1000 is not really a willing partner. While I can sit baby brother DL650 on the back wheel through four gears with consummate ease, the DL1000 just doesn’t want to play ball."

Hmmm. I wasn't expecting that, after seeing the front wheel loft in a few videos. Bummer, I was looking forward to some power wheelies.

·
Registered
64 Posts
It's possible to pop a wheelie on a big fat heavy harley, so I coudn't see how it would be difficult to do on a relatively light 100hp bike. That italien guy in the video we all watched surely found a way to do it...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Test ride impressions

I've just returned from a 2 hour test ride of the new DL1000 and thought I would reflect on here what my first impressions were of the bike.
The bike I rode was a red one, kitted out with hand guards and touring screen. I currently have owned a 2013 DL650 for 6 months now and done 8500 ks on it, prior to that I briefly owned the old DL1000 so I was interested to compare the new bike with the older Strom as well as the new 650.
The 1000 felt very similar to sit on to the 650. I'm 178cm (5' 10") tall and had no problem planting my feet on the ground. Ergonomics feel very similar to the 650. Controls were easy to reach and relatively easy to operate although I bumped the high beam switch a couple of times reaching for the clutch. Once I figured out the new switch layout compared to the old bikes it was easy to avoid knocking the switch inadvertently. All switches are within easy reach and work fine although the indicator switch felt a little vague. The seat was instantly comfortable and gave me the impression it would be good for extended hours in the saddle. The bike felt light at rest and even lighter once moving along.
On the road the DL feels very familiar to the 650 except it has a lot more punch. Sitting at 100kmh (60mph) sees 3700 smooth rpm. In fact the engine almost felt like it goes into a stealth mode until you twist the wrist when it jumps back into life with instant acceleration and noise. There are no fueling issues at all. I was able to accelerate from 55kph (33mph) in 6th gear and the bike pulled away strongly without chugging or chudder. I was immediately impressed with the bikes ability to do this and the torque available from very low rpm made the bike very easy to ride. I agree with other reviewers about the top end power. Rather than pull harder as the revs increase like the 650 does, the 1000 seems to have a flatter torque curve and has a constant pull on the handlebars until well up in the rev range, but revving the bike isn't really necessary to get the best out of it.
We are lucky enough in Christchurch to have some great motorcycling roads on our doorstep so it was off to the Hilltop Tavern carpark on top of the hill between Christchurch and Akaroa on the peninsular. This 70 km (43 Mile) trip has a selection of long straights, sweeping high speed bends and a winding hill road up to the 400 mtr (1300foot) summit and is a favourite among motorcyclists in the area. The bike feels planted in the corners, handling is very neutral just like the 650. The front brakes are amazing and the best I have felt on any bike. They inspired the confidence to brake very late into a corner and added to the overall enjoyment. Winding up the hill road in second gear, the bike really felt in its element and was truly a joy to ride.
My riding buddy has a KTM 1190 Aventure R and he also had a ride of the Strom. Comparing the 2 bikes is a whole new story but it was fun to do a couple of roll-on acceleration comparisons purely for academic reasons of course.:thumbup: We did these from 80kph (50mph) in 3rd and 4th gear up to probably 150kph (90 mph) and obviously the KTM was quicker, but not much. Maybe 5 bike lengths ahead up to 130kph (80 mph) where the superior top end of the KTM would start opening the gap.
All too soon it was time to return the bike.
Summary.
Things I really liked: the power, brakes, instrument panel and ease of use. No fueling issues or chudder.
Things I didn't like: The touring screen for me caused a lot of buffeting. It was set on the middle holes and I tried the 3 different angles but got no improvement. I was wearing a Arai Tourex 4 but my riding buddy was wearing a normal styled Shoei and he was having buffeting issues as well.
I'm keen to try the standard windscreen as it is smaller and should cause less turbulence. The KTM had a small screen on it and there was no turbulence with that and it did a reasonable job keeping the wind off me.
Would I buy one? Maybe. In New Zealand, Suzuki have pitched the bike at $19950 plus on road costs (around $550) This puts it into the same price category as a number of bikes and I would want to ride all of them as a comparison. In the USA, Canada and Australia, the bike is priced much better and I feel it would represent far better value for money in these areas. By the time you add the farkles, it is getting close to the price of an ex demo KTM1190. I feel the bike would be a better seller if it was pitched at $17500 -$18000. Priced in this range, it would sell very quickly
Anyhow, I hope this helps anyone looking at the new DL1000. It is a fantastic bike and with a bit of fiddling and personal customization, I think it will be a winner.

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
BABiker,
Thank you for your real world review from a vstrommer. You have confirmed what I was hoping for - that the Vee2 is the Wee/Glee taken to the next level of power with the same comfort and ease of use. I will be picking up my 2014 red Vee2 next week and give my impressions once I gave some miles under my belt.:thumbup:

·
Registered
179 Posts
hey Syd, you buying it in Queensbury? I was up there 2 weeks ago to look at the new 1000, they said there were not any in yet. They were supposed to get a European one in soon just for show. He was supposed to call me. I'm not in the market for one, but I would like to kick the tires.

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
XSBert,
I ordered the first one they got, and a red one came in yesterday. I will be picking it up sometime next week. Sport line will be taking in my 2011 Wee in New condition with 26000 miles in the trade. You are more than welcome to come up and see the bike. Just let me know. I have the accessories catalog from Suzuki, and have contacted Twisted Throttle, Givi and Altrider.

·
Registered
179 Posts
XSBert,
I ordered the first one they got, and a red one came in yesterday. I will be picking it up sometime next week. Sport line will be taking in my 2011 Wee in New condition with 26000 miles in the trade. You are more than welcome to come up and see the bike. Just let me know. I have the accessories catalog from Suzuki, and have contacted Twisted Throttle, Givi and Altrider.
What day you picking it up, may take a ride up to see it. Just give me a timeline and a date. Dump trucks aren't running right now, so I have some time.

·
Banned
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've just returned from a 2 hour test ride of the new DL1000 and thought I would reflect on here what my first impressions were of the bike.

Anyhow, I hope this helps anyone looking at the new DL1000. It is a fantastic bike and with a bit of fiddling and personal customization, I think it will be a winner.
Mate, thanks for the great review of the new 1000 :thumbup:

It sounds exactly as Suzuki has been spruiking it, and it all sounds very positive.
If it is as good us my current 650 with more grunt, then it's a winner :yesnod:

Cheers

1 - 20 of 29 Posts