StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So over this weekend, a bright idea came about of tinting the windshields. Originally he had mentioned that he wanted his done on the 2019 1000XT, and I very proudly proclaimed that I've tinted the lights on my Mazda and it's super easy!! That I'd do it for him. He told me to do mine first (2018 650)

I might have been a couple of mimosa's in at this point, maybe a beer.. Not sure. It was the weekend and we were hosting a Cuatro De Mayo at our house and not going anywhere so why not...

Anyways.. Windshield removed.. did a fine wet sand to help the Nite Shade adhere, and put on the first coat..

DISASTER!!! It actually etched the plastic and made it look like a Lichtenberg burn. Me in my infinate wisdom (there might have been a sangria at this point too) decided lets just plasti-dip it, that stuff is thick and will fill in the cracks..

WRONG!!! It enhanced them! :laugh2:

At this point, enchiladas were ready and friends were here so I just shoved it in the garage and figured I'd look at it the next morning.

The next morning I realize how much work this was going to take. It had to be sanded off, and not a fine grit like I was using either. This had to be taken down to what was etched into the plastic. I spent a good amount of time getting it done with an electric sander, my hand is still numb from the vibrations, but after some rough sand and finer sanding and buffing it got to a point where I was comfortable enough to try again with a different brand tint. This stuff worked great!! However the way I had it setting and the warm air outside caused it to dry fast, and there were waves. The wind blowing ash from the firepit into it didn't help either. I might have said some colorful words and started the sanding process ALL OVER AGAIN (After it dried fully of course)

THE NEXT TIME, the man was smart enough to tell me to just go in the garage, and forget the wind and debris blowing everywhere and try it there. I knew at this point the windshield was going to be totally unusable to see through it and had already looked at the cost of replacing. I was also racking my brain trying to figure out if I actually USED the damn thing to look through or just as a wind deflector and decided it was just to help whip the wind onto the top of my helmet. I had to throw 4 coats on it totally to hide imperfections but it ended up actually turning out pretty well. I didn't want to go that dark when I started this whole process but you live and learn.

It's funny, he doesn't want me to tint his now..... :grin2:

Y'all may proceed with the laughing..

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
No laughing from me, brother. I've got my own failure pile of fabrication projects that just didn't work out. I like to call them "learning experiences".

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
I have watched several people destroy things, myself included. I find no joy in it.

Sorry for your loss

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No laughing from me, brother. I've got my own failure pile of fabrication projects that just didn't work out. I like to call them "learning experiences".

I was more mad because I'd done it before flawlessly on my car and I was all gung-ho and over confident to show my guy that I could do something cool to my bike..

P.S. It's sister.. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
Well, I recently used blue loctite on my plastic Givi side cases and destroyed them. Good times... we're all in the same boat :grin2:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I recently used blue loctite on my plastic Givi side cases and destroyed them. Good times... we're all in the same boat :grin2:

hahahaa! I feel your pain!

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Every DIY project I do to save money cost me 3 to 5 times as much as buying ready made. Plus at least 5 different trips to the store for more of something or something different and it takes 5 times as long.

Failure in and of itself is not a bad its education. Repeating failures is another story.

In the end you learned what to use and how to use it. What's not to like about that.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
It doesn't look terrible, just don't get too close, and don't look at the light through it.
I did that with plasti dip, micro scratches are more visible too!

Since it's scratched anyways, i'm thinking sticker bombing it >:)

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
I was more mad because I'd done it before flawlessly on my car and I was all gung-ho and over confident to show my guy that I could do something cool to my bike..

P.S. It's sister.. ;)
LOL, apologies for the gender faux pas. I didn't pay close enough attention to your avatar.

·
Registered
837 Posts
It looks great in the pic!

You could also tint or paint the inside so you don't have to look at it while riding and be reminded. Although sometimes reminders can help. I have a few reminders of failures sitting on top of my toolbox, sometimes it helps me remember that I can't do it all right the first time.

Reactions: Naffle

·
Registered
82 Posts
Put a running red LED strip on on, make it look like Night Riders bike

The KITT Strom!

Looks good!

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hey if it looks good from 10 or 15 feet away, that's good enough! I did something rather similar to my windshield (it was scratched anyway) and ended up getting tired of sanding, so I just bed linered it

·
Registered
15,238 Posts
windshields are to be looked over, not through. I wouldn't be to bothered by the bugs and stuff that hits mine.
Now the shitty paint job I put on the bike after the great crash is less than desired!:wink2:

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
haha it happens! Before I even road my 2014 Vstrom for the very first time I installed heated grips and somehow got glue between the throttle tube and bar, gluing it in place so it could not be twisted. I took it apart, sanded the glue off etc

·
Registered
302 Posts
In engineering school you learn to call these items, “Features”

There not scratches there groves to direct rain to the side rather then ...... you need t9 get creative! :smile2:

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Wait......you mixed Mimosas, Beer and Sangria??? I would have been yelling for Ralph after that concoction ?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Embrace the shitty tint job

Don't feel alone on this. I did similar; I now just call it part of the character and another step in creating a RatBike, I was trying to just do a light tint but it went all crappy so I applied the entire can to hide the lines.
I do feel a little better it was screen given to me, that was repurposed from a CB600. Stickers do help.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts