StromTrooper banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had the Wee for 8 months now and have greatly enjoyed it as a commuter and for occasional rides of 100 or so miles. I am 63 years old and have two artificial hips. Years ago I used to ride all over the US on Hondas and BMWs, but I was completely out of riding for almost 20 years because of an accident that occurred for no apparent reason and the necessity for providing for my wife and 3 small children. The kids are all on their own now and we are rapidly approaching retirement. Time to get back to the things I love..So back to my story. This morning I decided to drive 150 miles to visit my daughter and her children unexpectedly. It was a beautiful day but had I looked at the weather report a little more closely I would have seen that fairly high winds were expected. I put on some old bicycle shorts under my jeans, donned my armored jacket and off I went. I drove to Valdosta Ga on I-75 at an average of around 75mph true and for most of the trip felt like I was in fight with the wind. At times, sudden gusts can have an almost blow like force. I didn't think I would have any trouble getting to Valdosta but thought that the trip back might tax my body a bit. I visited for about and hour and got back on the bike for the return. By this time I had had enough of the slab, so I took back roads all the way back. I was surprised to discover that on arriving home I wasn't nearly as fatigued as I thought I would be. 300 miles might not sound like much to many of you, but to me that number has always represented a barrier. I am now confident that trips of 400 to 500 miles per day are still within my reach.

The Wee performed wonderfully. At times I wanted a bit more wind protection and it would have been nice if the bike weighted a couple of hundred pounds more when I was wedged between semis and cars and the wind was gusting, but I know from experience that those things would take away from the all around good nature of the Wee. This bike can do it all...

·
Premium Member
2,363 Posts
I trod the same path, and enjoyed it plenty

I had the same sort of eye-opening experience in 2006, when I was 64.
I bought a new red DL-650, and quickly became very fond of it.

I dared to set out on a long ride, and managed to ride several 560-mile
days in a row, sleeping on the ground between those rides. On the way
back home, I rode four 600+ mile days in a row.

I suspect you will do the same. The seat may not be very comfortable,
and my bike's seat is completely stock. I do put a foam cushion on it.

Congratulations on your new-found skill. Enjoy it to the utmost!

Keith

·
Registered
120 Posts
Congrats on your ride!!! I recently did an Iron Butt SS1000 on my Wee. I did a couple of 500 mile days to get a feel for the big day. Now, none of my riding buddies want to ride with me because I like to ride 250 miles for lunch then ride back. You'll be cranking out 500+ mile days in no time. :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
A fork brace makes the Wee much more stable in gusting wind and turbulence. Madstad windshield bracket can help improve direct wind effect on the rider. Many people swear by their Russell Day Long seats. I've put in many 500+ days on my Wee. Enjoy!

·
Registered
524 Posts
A fork brace makes the Wee much more stable in gusting wind and turbulence. ... Enjoy!

+1 on the fork brace...it will make a world of difference.

As for the mileage, you will soon be doing 500+ mile days without any problem. 2 weeks ago I did 650 miles in one day, the first 500 of them in the rain. When I got to my destination, I was ready for more.

·
Registered
244 Posts
great story... and congrats!

not by choice, but i pulled a 700+ mile day on the wee back in April trying to outrun all the violent storms on a trip back from Louisiana to NC. i was worn out - but pleasantly surprised at how well i held up (55 yrs old) on my fully loaded Wee with the OEM seat.

you're still a young man and i hope to be riding further by the time i hit my early the 60s.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Congratulations, remember it's not the distance but the enjoyment,I've had short rides that have been some of the best ever and I've had long ones that I want to forget. i'm on a waiting list to have a double hip replacement next year and your experience is reassuring.:thumbup:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Fuzzy Rider - I'm happy for ya!

At 55 I'm a few years younger than you, but like you I've discovered that the 650 Strom is one heck of a good light-touring bike, easily capable of gobbling up the miles. The darned thing is comfortable, responsive and has great range & fuel economy.

Also agree - on any motorcycle, if I can avoid the big, busy highways and freeways, I will. Smaller, more interesting roads are much better for me and my Suzuki. Much happier there.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm 59 and just returned from a 5 day 1400 mile journey on my 2008 Wee. The longest day was 430 miles and it all went well. Yes the fork brace helps in the windy sections!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Two at one time???

RowBust - did I understand you correctly to say you are going to have both hips replaced at the same time? If so, I (from my personal experience) would council against it. Having 1 good leg, though it is obviously damaged, will speed the recovery immeasurably. I cannot imagine doing both at the same time. Its true that you can begin walking almost immediately but it takes literally months ( at least two) to really get back up to speed. In any case, good fortune with whatever you decide to do. I have talked to several people who have also had this surgery and their response as well as mine was - Why did I wait so long.

I neglected to mention in my post how my bike is equipped. When I got it, it already had the forkbrace as well as the maadsted bracket and a large Givi shield. I added a sergent seat ( after just a few rides ), barbacks (had pain in the shoulders), and crash bars (just in case). The bike, as now equipped, is much more stable than a 2003 Honda ST1300 I previously had. Even so, wind gusts of up to 30mph from the side, in addition to the turbulence from multiple semis and cars will move it around quite a bit. Kudos to all you guys taking really long rides, I don't know if I am ever going to get in that league again, but at least now I know I can.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts