StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm off Monday morn for my first long distance ride( for me anyway ). Will visit Kamloopsal( Kamloops, where else ) and then to meet up with Nite_Wolf in Canmore. Looking forward to hitting the road with just the Wee and my thoughts. Have never been on these roads with a bike before so it will also be a learning experience all the way. Also looking forward to meeting fellow Stromers whose knowledge and experience has been a great benefit to this old retired guy.
Thinking of the Banff/Jasper parkway, it is a great scenic drive. Might wind up in Edmonton to visit old friends and co-workers still in harness. Feeling a little apprehensive as a first timer but willing to go the distance.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
The apprehension will wash away after the first hour on the road.

Have a great trip (and be sure to scope out some good roads for me to take from Calgary to Vancouver).

Don't worry, be happy.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sure thing Heavy. Can think of a few rides here but you might have to live here or take a leave of absence from work. If you have the time, turn North at Banff and ride to Jasper. Turn West on the Yellow Head #16. After 75 KMs turn South on #5 to Blue River, Clearwater and Little Fort. West at Little Fort on #24 to the Cariboo Highway. South bound for approx 95 KMs. and hang a right onto #99(Sea To Sky Highway). It is all ashphalt and smooth enough for a loaded bike. Hmmmmm, maybe I will do that myself. Been there done that in my cage. Will see what happens after Canmore. Type you much later.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
ww, so glad to hear you are hitting the road! Since you're putting in more miles now wanna meet me in Blaine, WA in a few wks? :wink:

Stromette

·
Registered
40 Posts
I rode the Pemberton/Lillooet road last Wednesday and the road is in terrible shape. The asphalt has disintegrated in numerous places (to the point that the edge of the road is just right of centre). There are potholes and gravel (chucks of asphalt) everywhere. I rode 5400Km on that trip (a lot if it on B class highways) and this was definitely the worst section of road by far, to the point that I did not enjoy riding it. If the road was in better condition it would be a great ride as it was I felt that I was just trying not to drop the bike the majority of the time. Also if you are planning on going thru Whistler to Van then leave lots of time since this whole section of road is a construction zone. (twining for the Winter Olympics)

Later
Graeme

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
You have my phone # right??? Any idea what day you'll be in the Canmore area?? I'm typically getting into the area a little after 6:00 since I'm commuting from Calgary. It's a little over 110km door to door and typically takes me aprox 1 hr 20 mins on the way home.

water warrior said:
Well I'm off Monday morn for my first long distance ride( for me anyway ). Will visit Kamloopsal( Kamloops, where else ) and then to meet up with Nite_Wolf in Canmore. Looking forward to hitting the road with just the Wee and my thoughts. Have never been on these roads with a bike before so it will also be a learning experience all the way. Also looking forward to meeting fellow Stromers whose knowledge and experience has been a great benefit to this old retired guy.
Thinking of the Banff/Jasper parkway, it is a great scenic drive. Might wind up in Edmonton to visit old friends and co-workers still in harness. Feeling a little apprehensive as a first timer but willing to go the distance.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Well, he made it to Kamloops!
I had coffee with him this morning. He's planning to leave for Canmore tomorrow (Wed).
Yes, he came via Pemberton, Lillooet, Crash Creek - said the road was fine (for a Strom) - which is what I thought last month. It's a little narrow, rough and gravely in parts
- sure slows down the Albertan 'hard shoulder drivers' :lol:

Al

·
Registered
40 Posts
I know I was having a "bad" day when I rode this section and nearly losing the back end in the first 20KM of that days ride probably did not help. It could the fact that I have only been riding for 4 months but I think the really negative felling about this section was caused by the fact that I had ridden such great roads thru BC up until that point.

Glad to hear that WW made it to Kamloops, and am sure that he is having an amazing ride, I know I sure did as the roads in BC are amazing.

I am heading back to Balfour area for the labor day weekend so I am going to practice cornering. There has to be a couple of off ramps around Calgary that I will have to lean the bike to turn :wink:

Latrer
Graeme

·
Registered
327 Posts
Calgary-Yogi
Sorry Graeme, I couldn't resist BC'ers favourite pastime - 'Alberta knocking'.
The Balfour area is fantastic riding country. You will return a 'hardened veteran' of the twisties and a BC wanabee. :wink:

Al

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
Water Warrior came through Canmore on Thursday and we had dinner together with my friend Carole. Sounds like he is having a good time on the trip and it was a pleasure to meet him. With a little luck next summer I'll take a ride out his way and tour in BC.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow !! Just cruisin through the forum trying to catch up and everyone is routin for me. Thanks a bunch from the bottom of my heart folks. Had a great trip and did enjoy meeting Kamloopsal, Nite_Wolf and Carol. Thanks to Nite_Wolf for the security cables and lock too. Great storable items for travelling on 2 wheels. Gotta do a ride report soon so " I " don't forget the fun factor of two wheels. Thanks again to everyone.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Stromette, my passport is packed. One slight flaw though. Might be going back to work for a week or two near the end of Sept. More travel money of course. Will be meeting Heavy on Tuesday in Mission, B.C. so the Wee won't be getting much rest for a while. Just keep me posted as to when you will be in Blaine and I will keep in touch with the boss and his scheduled plant shutdown ( they need a slave willing to get dirty ). Oh, by the way, do I get an autographed pic ?? lol.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Kamloopsal, good to hear from you. Gotta check with the boss there and hear what is planned and exactly when. As for the copper coming from the old mine, I would love to have it in any form except radioactive. Every year enough copper flows into Howe Sound to make 70 MILLION pennies. Well it did until late last year at any rate.
Thanks again for the time to visit and hope to do it again sometime. Of course a slightly lower temp would be a real bonus. Almost cooked my gizzard getting there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts