StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay!

Went and picked up the strom this morning, got it all unloaded from the truck and several hours later, took it for a test ride (I'm at work, or I would still be riding! :p ).

So far every thing is great, I'll still have to play with the windscreen, but it's really a non issue coming from a sportbike. I find that the throttle is kinda jerky when rolling on/off/on. I had to adjust the TPS on my GSXR because I had a similar issue (we called it the herky jerky). On the short ride, I noticed that I had a pretty excessively tight grip on the grips, I guess because of that jerky on off on throttle issue. But it really does have some power right from the get go. My arms got a little tired of being up/out/and bent. More straight arms feels better, I scooted back in the seat till I hit the back before the passenger seat, and my arms felt much better, but I think I would prefer if the bars themselves were a little more forward. I think that's pretty much it. Everything else feels great, I can see the speedo without having to move my head down, and I can see behind me in the mirrors (that didn't seem to be shaking when I rode). On the GSXR the mirrors shake like crazy, it's just a blur or your elbows, you have to move your elbow to see behind you. And if you are at speed, you have to put a hand on the mirror to keep it from vibrating too bad.

Can't wait to get some luggage! Crash bars already on order....

·
Registered
635 Posts
Congrats on the new bike, you'll learn to love it.

I've noticed the throttle response to be a bit sensitive as well, I'm still having trouble transitioning from off throttle entering a curve to back on throttle to accelerate out of it, and doing it smoothly....but I'm getting better.

Having real mirrors that really work at all speeds is awesome!

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another thing I've noticed is that when you are riding on a hot day, such as today, the screen blocks a lot of air and you get really hot compared to a sportbike. Don't have that constant air blowing on your jacket.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Nice to see a sportbike convert. Mine was too hard on my neck. Really went fast though only got one ticket on it, 50 in a 30 but I had the option to take the "slow down you dumbass" class and the fine was reduced to $75 bucks. :mrgreen:

I think the throttle isn't herky jerky at all. Wonder what the deal with yours is. :confused:

·
Registered
371 Posts
Congrats with the new risde.

I find that the throttle is kinda jerky when rolling on/off/on.
I find that the throttle responce on the Strom is spot on - maybe all you need is a chain adjustment..?

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I find that the throttle responce on the Strom is spot on - maybe all you need is a chain adjustment..?
How much slack should the chain have?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
The issue is not the same. The Glee has much better air management.

·
Registered
371 Posts
How much slack should the chain have?
According to the manual it shold be 20-30mm (0.8-1.2 inch) measured midway between front and rear sprocket below the swing arm while the bike is on the side stand.
Make sure to measure the slack at the tightest spot on the chain - on a new and well lubricated chain there shouldn't be a tight spot though.

On my bike I adjust the chain to a slack of 25mm (1 inch) just to make sure that the chain isn't too tight.
I then readjust the chain when the slack get to around 35mm (1.4 inch) - at that point I'm beginning to feel annoying transmission slack/jerky throttle responce when rolling on/off.

I have a Scottoiler on my bike and only need to adjust the chain as described above every ~15.000km/9.000miles.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
According to the manual it shold be 20-30mm (0.8-1.2 inch) measured midway between front and rear sprocket below the swing arm while the bike is on the side stand.
Make sure to measure the slack at the tightest spot on the chain - on a new and well lubricated chain there shouldn't be a tight spot though.

On my bike I adjust the chain to a slack of 25mm (1 inch) just to make sure that the chain isn't too tight.
I then readjust the chain when the slack get to around 35mm (1.4 inch) - at that point I'm beginning to feel annoying transmission slack/jerky throttle responce when rolling on/off.

I have a Scottoiler on my bike and only need to adjust the chain as described above every ~15.000km/9.000miles.
Chain seems to be in spec. I rode the GSXR yesterday, which I did adjust the TPS slightly on years ago, and the throttle is much smoother rolling on/off, and you especially appreciate that when it's on/off/on. I may do the same to the strom.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts