StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
consider this a follow-on to other recent threads on hand numbness/cramps during long rides.

i've long suffered from right hand numbness after relatively short periods. 30 minutes and i get tingly; 45 minutes and my right hand is numb. this can be downright painful ... and dangerous.

i'd forgotten how unpleasant it can be. my touring bike has electronic cruise control that just about eliminates the problem. the strom reminded me ... bummed me out a little.

so i broke down and tried the throttle rocker (also known as cramp buster) ... a plastic clip that straps onto your throttle grip, and lets your wrist/palm absorb some of the burden of gripping the throttle grip. don't know why i never tried one before, think i had it in my head that it would interfere with on/off throttling on a twisty road.

well, i just got back from a 50-minute ride to oakland and back and i have to say first impressions are very positive. it will take some time to get used to the rocker, but it really only feels awkward when you are first setting off. and even then only a little. in short order i felt very comfortable with it.

and the best part ... no numbness. to be honest, there was some tingling ... but at that point i relaxed my grip even further, basically just resting my arm on the right bar. and no numbness.

i want to go on longer rides before i give it two thumbs up, but so far it is 20 bucks well spent.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
It's nice, huh? I use a Throttle Rocker (with a velcro strap), and it's probably the most useful addition I've made to my scoot. I can flex my hand and fingers while maintaining speed without a problem. A very practical farkle, IMHO.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
I have an Audiovox CCS-100 real cruise control and a NEP CC4 throttle "locker". Both are useful depending on the traffic volume. A rocker would fit too but I think I can manage without it. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have an Audiovox CCS-100 real cruise control and a NEP CC4 throttle "locker". Both are useful depending on the traffic volume. A rocker would fit too but I think I can manage without it. ;)
pat ... can you please link me to the audiovox cruise control? i had a link years ago but lost it. could not easily find it at audiovox.com.

i suspect the electronic cruise goes a bit further than i want to go, but i wanted to check out their latest offering.

thanks in advance.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
It's nice, huh? I use a Throttle Rocker (with a velcro strap), and it's probably the most useful addition I've made to my scoot. I can flex my hand and fingers while maintaining speed without a problem. A very practical farkle, IMHO.
Whistler - are you talking about the velcro strap to attach it or a strap to make it into more of a cruise control? If the latter, could you elaborate? I've got rockers (left and right) on order right now...

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Whistler - are you talking about the velcro strap to attach it or a strap to make it into more of a cruise control? If the latter, could you elaborate? I've got rockers (left and right) on order right now...
I think he is talking about the Throttle Rocker II... which is attached to the grip using a velcro strap:

The original Throttle Rocker (similar to the product currently known as the Cramp Buster) was simply a single curved piece of plastic that wrapped around the grip:

·
Administrator
13,347 Posts
I like the one piece (no velcro) one better.

I had that on my Strom when I had the stock grips. It worked well, and I could change the adjustment any time. For example, when on higher speed highways or lower speed county roads.

When I added my Hot Grips the original rocker was too small. I had to get a larger one and the only one I could find was at a Harley Dealership and it had the Velcro. There is nothing wrong with how it works or how well it stays put, but to adjust it you have to unlock the Velcro and move it. With the original you just turned it in the same direction as releasing the throttle until you got it where you wanted and it stayed at the new position.

..Tom

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
I like the one piece (no velcro) one better.

I had that on my Strom when I had the stock grips. It worked well, and I could change the adjustment any time. For example, when on higher speed highways or lower speed county roads.

When I added my Hot Grips the original rocker was too small. I had to get a larger one and the only one I could find was at a Harley Dealership and it had the Velcro. There is nothing wrong with how it works or how well it stays put, but to adjust it you have to unlock the Velcro and move it. With the original you just turned it in the same direction as releasing the throttle until you got it where you wanted and it stayed at the new position.

..Tom
I can see where the one piece would be better. I bought the velcro version because I knew it would fit over my Grip Puppies. As far as adjustment, I just never move it :)

I think it really helps on longer rides. I found one on eBay for $7:95 w/ free shipping. Well worth it.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
I think he is talking about the Throttle Rocker II... which is attached to the grip using a velcro strap:

The original Throttle Rocker (similar to the product currently known as the Cramp Buster) was simply a single curved piece of plastic that wrapped around the grip:

Yup, that's the one, alright. I have no experience with the Original TR/Crampbuster, but they also look very functional. If my velcro model ever goes belly up, I may just get one of the plastic wraparound models.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
A word of warning.
This was posted recently on the VSRI site.

At this point I’d like to issue a strong word of warning about throttle wrist rests. One was fitted to the Vee when I bought it. I’d removed it because I thought it may be a distraction I could do without in my early days of returning to riding. With a transport highway stage I thought I’d give it a try and take it off when we reached Kingaroy. Anyway, the rotten thing was still mounted when I rode into the gully.

When I hit this last rock the Vee bucked suddenly, the palm of my hand came down on to that bloody plastic platform and the bike responded with a large bunch of revs that were not wanted at that time! The poor bike reared up to the left and I departed over the right mirror and on to the road.

These things have a use but they also have a potential down side.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts