StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To some this may seem like an odd first impression, but the new seat is comfortable. :grin2: Some 62 years of riding and I must say this is the best so far. The reason why this is so important to me is that if your rear end is hurting, your not comfortable, you can't enjoy the ride from wiggling around trying to find a measure of ease. The rear seat is wider and seems to be softer too. I have a top plate coming for my Trekker box and then the little wife can give me her thoughts on the seat. (She won't ride without back support.) Best to all and be careful, Richard

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Handsome bike there, Richard.
And comfy too?
Life is good.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi, I just bought the new 2017/2018 DL1000. My 3rd one. 2007, 2012, and now this one. They are great bikes for long range rides. I like the luggage style, and the ease of taking it off with one hand. However, on the first short outing my wife immediately informed me that the cases are too small. I'm looking at the GIVI Trekker side cases, but what do you do with the brand new factory luggage? Ebay?
Or, does anyone recommend a specific bag for the rear rack? Thanks, Bill

·
Registered
195 Posts
You won't regret getting the GIVI Trekker Outback. I love mine. I sold my OEM cases right here on the classified.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi, I'm looking at the Trekker side bags, with a liner in one side. I'm thinking it may be easy to have an inside bag to pull out and take into a motel without undoing the luggage itself. Maybe the top case. Trekker comes in a 46 liter size. Nobody here carries it in stock so I am slightly concerned that it may be really large and stick out more than I want. The other size is 33 liters. Any thoughts? Thanks, Bill

·
Registered
5 Posts
My dealer showed me one and it was huge. Decided to go for cases on the side. Also huge, but I think more stable when doing highways and such.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I installed the Givi quick release racks on my 2014 and mated the Givi UT 808 soft bags to them. https://www.motostorm.it/en/accessories/luggage/givi-ut808.html.
I don't use a top case preferring a large 70 liter dry bag strapped across the seat which doubles as a back rest. The Givi soft bags are 25 liters each which is enough for solo touring. Motostorm will save you alot of money on Givi products.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The Trekker series appeals to me because of: looks, partial opening on the top, and inside bag. I tend to keep the right side full of rain gear, cold weather gear, and such. It seems like a good solution to be able to open the left side and pull out the soft bag with all I would need in a motel. I hope. Bill

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I wasn't crazy about the look of the new DL1000 when they first came out a few years ago, but the subtle changes in styling have really been improvements. They're a darn fine looking bike now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought 2017 DL 1000 XT. Until now I was riding on 2004 SV650S.
Seat is really comfortable, for city quick run and long run is awesome.
Bike handling is great. Suspension is fully configurable and that's awesome.
I've got top case Kappa 58L and 2 integral helmets are fitting in. I'm planning to buy next year 2x48L side cases Givi (or Kappa if they make - Givi and Kappa had the same products).
I've added crashbars from Givi too, they cover more than SW-Motech but diameter is smaller than SW (25mm to 27mm) but coverage is better.

Skid plate and other guards I'm planning to by from SW-Motech, looks better than Kappa/Givi

Maybe about power. This bike has it enough. After experienced with 650cc from SV this one has what it suppose to be. Overtaking on 6th gear, accelerating is great. What you need on long trip.
Offroad - a little bit trails, is very good. Maybe the bike is heavy but really you don't feel that while riding, need more practice. More trails I'll do when I buy skid plate for more protection ;-)
Breaks: awesome! This is different what I had before. I've changed on mine SV650S to 4 cylinders for GSX-R 750, they were good, but this one, its more more better than in prev years what I was able to test. First time while braking I'm almost fly through the bars :D.
Wind protection good, but probably I'll by bigger windscreen.

Traction control: very good
ABS and CABS: very good, maybe you can't turn it off but doesn't bother on offroad.

I'm very happy that I bought this bike. Maybe not many km made right now but for sure it will stay with me for long long time ;-)
And price is much better that GS. Maybe not a lot of electronics stuff but for me this is my first bike with ABS, CABS and traction control, earlier everything was in my right hand ;-)

I think that's all :D

·
Premium Member
4,177 Posts
You may find that seat changes a bit after a few months, the foam compresses, but for now your good, wonderful.

·
Registered
468 Posts
One of my local dealers has the one he hasn't sold all summer for $10799.00. $11199 for an XT version too.

Dang, I wish I had the money to get one.
All summer? I'm confused. Did the 2018's come out that early, or is it a 2017 model? I just paid less than that for my 2018XT yesterday. (might explain why he still has it)

·
Registered
99 Posts
I wasn't crazy about the look of the new DL1000 when they first came out a few years ago, but the subtle changes in styling have really been improvements. They're a darn fine looking bike now.
The bird beak on the 2014's as well as the gold forks and a few other things kept me from buying one, but as soon as I saw the 2018's I had to have one, and I love my black 2018 DL1000XT.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Agreed. The original beak looked like a tacked on afterthought, but I think the 2018 looks really good (and not in a "so ugly it's beautiful" way, either). It looks a lot more like it's all integrated together.
You hit the nail on the head, as the first beak looked bolted on because it was, and besides looking like a bird beak it also looked cheap to me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts