Strom Trooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstgear - Premium Motorcycle Gear Thermosuit from Firstgear

So, want to ride (%90 commuting) year round, barrng snow and ice. Did it last year, and was good down to mid 20s, but that required silly layers, like two pairs of themal underwear and maybe three layers up top. Office was always freeezing, so it worked out. New job in a better contiioned space, commute is 20 minutes vice 8 minutes with a about 60% of that done at 60mph.

Not being made out of money, which would make great insulation, I think :), I got this suit. This AM was 47, and at that, it was right on the edge of being too warm. Just kahkis, a teeshirt and collared long sleeve underneath. I could feel the wind pushing against the suit, but it was only pressure, not one bit of cold got at my previous weak points, shoulders, knees, and ankles. Easy on, since the big zippers on the legs open almost to the waist, with big flaps that cover them well and allow you to keep it right at your ankles. Neck is comfy and seals well also. Convenient huge thigh pockets. Think it's going to be a good winter, especially after I wire up my new heated glove lines. :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
I have the same suit 3 years, cant wear it if its above 45, its too hot. Wore it down in single digits and was just fine. No need for electrics or layers.

·
Registered
28 Posts
that makes a great winter suit. Had one I lent to a friend, he rode to Canada from NYC on a fairing less bike in October of November of last year in it. Worked great.

Just remember, it has no armour. It's just a snowmobile suit.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Interesting that they describe it as "more tailored," "less generous fit." Not too baggy, I guess.

The gray color won't show the winter splatter too badly, but also isn't easy for drivers to notice. A Class 3 safety vest (which is actually a short sleeved shirt) with it's bright yellow or orange color and reflective strips might be a life saver. The sleeves and reflective strips on the sleeves stand out, especially where the bike has a relatively tall tail box or the rider wears a backpack.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I used to have one, I hit a patch of ice at ~45mph and went down in it, It wore through instantly at the elbow and knee. I think it's great if you're wearing it over gear that has abrasion resistance and armor but if that is all you're wearing, I'd be very wary. It offers little to no protection. I broke my shoulder and had some rash in mine. I was toasty warm though.:hurray:

For the last 4 years I have been wearing a teiz lombard V3. Just as warm but also has armor and is far more abrasion resistant.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Not much different than my Pioneer 2 pce, which is much easier to take on and off I imagine. excellent in the cold, but I always wear mine over my gear for protection.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Mine was great for winter commuting when I was in Connecticut. I had a motocross armor shirt I wore underneath it for some protection.
I could wear it up to about 50F but I also really appreciated it was very waterproof. It made it through many winter rain storms without leaking.
I don't see me using it here in Florida now.

·
Registered
28 Posts
For the same price I would get the Carhartt Arctic Extreme suit. No armour just as with the Firstgear but at least it's made from 1000 denier cordura. That's higher than the Aerostich suit.

It has armour pockets for the knees and you can have a tailor put some pockets in for the back, shoulders and elbows.

VERY warm, and waterproof.

I call it the Aerobitch suit

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, today as I rolled out of the garage, it was 11 degrees F. Eight mile ride, left knee got about as cold as it might with a gel cool pack on it, otherwise was perfectly comfortable in my work clothes, Khaki pants, short sleeve t-shirt and a average weight sweater. Did wear thick winter boots and wool socks, and had my balaclava and heated glove liners turned up to three out of five inside the gauntlets (no handguards).

This suit is awesome. Coworkers think I'm on some Rambo kick, no matter how much I explain that I really am not freezing, not even cold. Hell, those bugger spend the first five minutes of their commute waiting for the car to heat up :)

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So, today was the first good ride in the rain. Temps mid 30s. Anyone in MD or VA knows what the rain was like, or still is for that matter. Suit worked as advertised, dry as a bone.

On a related note, do not stuff your heated glove liners up under the inner fairing to keep them dry....... that will NOT work. :)

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not anymore, sadly, I bought #837 used and kept it going for a couple of years, but when I dug into it, the body was too far gone. Had been a Michigan car, and was rustproofed with a hard sprayon substance that, once cracked, kept all that salt nice and close.

When I dove into it more, after trying to remove the parking brake and having six square inches of the floor come out with it, I discovered that the rot was too pervasive. Still proud to have owned it, though, whatta ride. Tame by todays standards, and even stock, my Neon SRT-4 would have crushed it, but as a testament to what could be done, it was pretty cool.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Shoulda upped the boost then. I had a fondness for those POS cars. I owned over a dozen Shelby Dodge cars over the years, plus a bunch of R\T's. I hd the first R\T in the 12\s then the first in the 11's. But only that one time. :headbang:

Haven't owned anything with 4 wheels in over 10 years though.

Was good friends With Gus Mahon, knew Gary Donovan and some of the other big boys in the Shelby Dodge community.

Only car I miss is the 1990 VNT competition package Shadow. Guy in MD literally screwed me out of the car and practically stole it from me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts