StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 Wee with about 14,000 miles on it. It's had a complete check-over by a dealership in the last year and generally, it runs fine. I changed the oil and filter about a thousand miles ago.

When I first start the engine and I engage the clutch and put it into first gear, the bike does a tiny little "lurch" forward. Nothing dangerous, nothing I can't control. It doesn't stall the engine. When the engine has warmed up, it doesn't happen anymore. Everything else is fine, no shifting or clutch problems at all.

It doesn't really bother me and I know to expect it. My only concern is that it is a symptom of something going wrong or out of adjustment. Is this normal, or something I should see my dealer about?

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
The Wee lurch doesn't bother me at all. I hardly notice it.

Of course, I switched from a BMW 1150 GS. A bone rattling ka-CHUNK! Every time. Hot or cold.

So, I don't worry about it.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
All bikes I have or have had do this, except for the DR650 for some reason. It is a characteristic of multi-plate wet clutches. The plates stick together until you break them apart the first time. My Strom and Gixxus do it every time I go into first from neutral, regardless of how long I've ridden. There is a way to reduce it - before you start the bike, put it in gear, pull the clutch and push the bike to unstick the clutch plates. Sometimes this can be difficult to do.

·
Administrator
5,559 Posts
This occurs to a varying degree to ALL wet clutch motorcycles and is completely normal. It is worst when starting a cold engine.

It can be moderated to an extent by trialing different brands of oil. An oil that flows easier when cold will reduce the effect.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I had a Yamaha 125 in 1976 that literally would not disengage the clutch if you did not ride it for a few weeks. Rock back and forth over and over until it let go. I had kind of forgotten about how hard it would stick.

kfh000

·
Registered
576 Posts
Like the guy said before you hit the starter put it in gear ,pull in the clutch and rock it back and forth to unstick the oil bath clutch. then hit the starter with it in low and the clutch loosened up. when warm you don't have to do this. some oils are stickier than others when cold.

·
Registered
325 Posts
This occurs to a varying degree to ALL wet clutch motorcycles and is completely normal. It is worst when starting a cold engine.
+1

common. '92 KLR 250/'06 Wee/'14 CTX1300 all did the same thing. My current V2 does it too, but to a lesser extent. Nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Following what has already been said, try this:

After starting, leave bike in neutral, engage/disengage clutch and move bike backwards a little bit. Then pull in clutch and shift into 1st....you should have little to no clunk!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Yes well how do you explain the weird behaviour of my bike which, when cold, will sometimes slip into first gear without the slightest noise and clunk. Also when hot it will often go into first just as smoothly if you hold the clutch pulled in for a few seconds but just as often holding the clutch in for the same time is rewarded with the normal clunk.
When hot I now put the bike into first before starting the engine to avoid the clunk.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
I had a Yamaha 125 in 1976 that literally would not disengage the clutch if you did not ride it for a few weeks. Rock back and forth over and over until it let go. I had kind of forgotten about how hard it would stick.

kfh000
I guess you don't still have this bike ?

2 easy fixes,

1; file the high points off the clutch basket so the plates will slide more freely.

or

2; pull the clutch leaver to the handgrip & secure it there before you park the bike.

·
Registered
13 Posts
On Ducati, I had a similar concern. It turned out that after various researches, my dealer replaced the oil (semi-synthesis) that he had used during the first emptying with a 100% synthetic oil (as recommended by DUCATI). clutch bonding problem solved, but also gaining flexibility in shifting gears even cold oil.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I guess you don't still have this bike ?

2 easy fixes,

1; file the high points off the clutch basket so the plates will slide more freely.

or

2; pull the clutch leaver to the handgrip & secure it there before you park the bike.
My bad it was a 1972 enduro in a similar orange to the DL650 orange.

Interestingly, it sat in a barn until fairly recently. My nephews always wanted to ride it and I would always tell them it did not run. Finally decided to sell it, pulled it out of the barn, opened the fuel valve and that bike cracked off on about the 5th kick. Ran pretty poorly, replaced fuel. It is oil injected. Reed valves, ding, ding da ding. I can't imagine the other fluids. Of course the clutch was stuck. Had to be 15 maybe almost 20 years since it ran. They do not make fuel like they used to. Still had nice dent in gas tank where my brother tried to ride it up a ramp into a pickup truck. He would have made it if he let it warm up but it was pretty balky cold.

kfh000

·
Registered
301 Posts
You bought a Japanese bike with a wet clutch. Welcome to the Clunk Club!

Reactions: Brockie
1 - 17 of 17 Posts