StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of buying this jacket and was wondering if anybody else has this one and how is the fit of it? looks like a really good jacket.

·
Registered
22,310 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
I am on my second one now for a couple of years. Motorcycle Superstore runs a sale every so often for $150. I did a lap of Arkansas last year in all day rain for 3 days with nary a drop making its way through. I used it just last weekend in temp ranges from 35 to 55 with comfort with only a tee shirt and a long sleeve henley, but it did get chilly when it got down below 40 after dark at 85-90mph. A heavier sweater or heated gear would have been the cure. My only complaint is on the newest one: the collar is tall and stiff, resulting in a little rash below my helmet strap.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am on my second one now for a couple of years. Motorcycle Superstore runs a sale every so often for $150. I did a lap of Arkansas last year in all day rain for 3 days with nary a drop making its way through. I used it just last weekend in temp ranges from 35 to 55 with comfort with only a tee shirt and a long sleeve henley, but it did get chilly when it got down below 40 after dark at 85-90mph. A heavier sweater or heated gear would have been the cure. My only complaint is on the newest one: the collar is tall and stiff, resulting in a little rash below my helmet strap.
how is it for size? I usually wear an XL.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I am thinking of buying this jacket and was wondering if anybody else has this one and how is the fit of it? looks like a really good jacket.
There are so many versions of this jacket by now, it's very difficult to get a valid opinion that will be relevant to current production. Personally, I own two versions of it. One I like, one I hate, and one I couldn't wear at all and sent back. The earlier versions appealed to me a lot more.

·
Registered
615 Posts
For price, value, convenience and weather protection I love my kilimanjaro jacket, liner, pants, liner. Good gear.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Mine fit true to size. I wear a 46 chest, and the XL is just right. Warm down to 34º or so with a fleece pullover and poly base layer. A little stiff around the collar, but I usually wear a bandana, so it's not an issue. I removed the liner for warmer temps. Anything above 80º, I wear a mesh jacket. A good value for the money. I can tell you I was wearing mine during a pretty nasty crash, and it held up very well. The medics ruined it when they cut it off. I'll probably purchase another one when I resume riding.

·
Registered
267 Posts
My experience with this jacket has been unsatisfactory. The jacket lost it's waterproofing within the year. Also the plastic side buckles that take up tension on the belt were poor. If memory serves me correct I paid a pretty healthy price for mine it sure wasn't a left over discontinued item. :rant:

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
I have a 6+ yo Kili II that is long overdue for replacement. I will be going with the latest revision probably next year. Very shabby, but still waterproof. I've "refreshed" it's waterproofing twice. I need tall sizing. Mine is 2XLT, but I've lost 50+ lbs. and it is huge on me now. I will be going with XLT for my next purchase. 6'4", 270 then, <220 now. 48-50 chest the, 46 now. Great service direct from FG when I had a problem with my Mesh Tex II some years ago.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I'm 6'3" and 250, mine is an XL and fit's perfectly. I've had no issues with the waterproofing and LOVE mine. The one time it was a bit too much was, believe it or not, driving in Ottawa last summer. My buddy and I did a run up to Calabogie on one of the hottest days of the summer and it damn near killed me. I believe in ATGATT so there was no way I was driving without it but I was really wishing I had a vented one that day. Any other time mine is vented enough to stay cool and certainly warm enough for early Spring/late Fall.

·
Registered
832 Posts
My 1st Gen Kilimanjaro is just about to be retired. It doesn't need replaced; I'm just jonesing for a new 3 season riding jacket. I have almost nothing but praise for the original. It is warm, well-fitting and very functional. The laminated waterproofing layer wasn't engineered for the long run, so I purchased a dedicated rain suit. The venting efficiency was just fair, but I have mesh jackets for the really warm days. First Gear is one of the very few brands that offers a selected range of riding garments in Tall sizing. Neat.

Note that the recent and current iterations of the Kilimanjaro do have generous tailoring. The European cut of the original is no more. Large just about functions as the new Extra Large, and so on. Fat guys, rejoice.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My first MC jacket was a 1st gen version of this jacket and I loved it. I jumped on the Aerostitch bandwagon and for me personally the kili. was a better and more comfortable jacket! I would imagine that the newer generations are pretty nice as well. The one I had was Hot in the summer probably made worse because it was black. It is still a great jacket almost 10 years later.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am on my second one now ...
I've been considering this jacket also. That is about the best recommendation a piece of m/c clothing can get. Thanks.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I went for the First Gear Kathmandu due to the "European" or "athletic" cut. Very pleased with the quality and fit.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I got mine towards the end of last season, but I quite enjoy it so far! I am normally an XL and the XL fit me fine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts