1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
I have never found a laptop to be a useful replacement for a desktop because I find their keyboard and touch pad are a pain. That and you get a lot more horsepower for less cost with a desktop.
That said, a laptop can be very useful once it is untethered from the desk.
The Bluetooth MAY be useful to you. I can connect my smartphone to a laptop via Bluetooth to upload pictures for example. You can also get a Bluetooth voip phone that you can connect and use Skype. There are lots of Bluetooth gadgets out there including headsets, printers etc.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
We got a new laptop just before Christmas and debated on which size, decided on a 11.6" model. The keyboard is acually useable, nice sharp screen, duel core processor, 8 hr battery, 64 bit OS.

So far, we like it.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Do not install the 60 day Symantec Internet Security package. If you do you will never get rid of it and it will kill your performance.

Get a decent security package, something like AVG that doesn't hog your system resources.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
I would suggest also purchasing an external, USB hard drive as well. Something in the 500GB range.

It is reported that you have an extensive digital photo "collection". The external hard drive would be a good place to archive the collection so as not to clutter up and fill up your main operating system and program file, internal hard drive.

What K1W1 says is absolutely true. Stay away from Symatec/Norton security products.

I prefer and have very good luck with: http://www.pctools.com

And: www.malwarebytes.org

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I looked at the laptop and I may get the 17 in model instead. Of course that model is at another store.

I learned about the problems with Norton crap some time ago with the desktop I'm currently using. Hope that is not pre-loaded.

HP seems to have the best features for the money. Just don't know exactly what features I need. It is easy to get more than I really need.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I replaced my desktop a little over two years ago with a refurb MacBook Pro. Best thing I ever did. I can bring the thing with me on vacations, I can use it on the couch. For external storage, I have 2, 1TB external FW 800 drives daisy-chained together, I can add more if needed.

I'm not a total Mac Snob, with Windows 7, the PC option is viable again.

I'm sure this is an option with a non-Mac, look for a laptop with a decent enough graphics card and use an external monitor when docked. My MBP is a 15.4" model which gives me the portability in laptop mode that I like. A 17" model is no longer all that portable.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I have a much older version of that laptop, it has a FULL keyboard and trust me its a nice toy. But its big and heavy. ITs what you call a desk top replacment and it did its job well. But I perfer desktops for my home system. For on the road I ahve invested in a netbook, nice and small

·
Registered
378 Posts
I looked at the laptop and I may get the 17 in model instead. Of course that model is at another store.
Be careful on the size depending on what you want out of it. I bought the 17" monster and really like it when I travel, but to be honest, come the riding season and the taskings from work, I will probably buy a Netbook for travel. The 17 is good for working around home even if you can carry it in the vehicle to work or travelling, but it gets to be rather cumbersome on a plane and depending on the size may not fit into that planes overhead storage. With the backpack it will not fit into the E52 top box i have.

Just to let you know.

·
Cowboys aint easy to love
2,113 Posts
Purchase of a refurbished HP/Compac "industrial strength" laptop last summer turned out to be a great move for me. It freed me from the desk altogether, as it sits beside my recliner, but communicates to the rest of my network (including the backup hard drive) via the wireless router. Most manufacturers will display their reduced-cost refurbished units on their websites, but some of them only sell via select dealers. Mine came with a 3-year warranty and at a price less than a mortgage on my future.

·
Registered
662 Posts
As a IT professional for the last 15 years (yes really) I humbly suggest going the Mac route. While nothing's perfect and the low end macbook is at least $300 more in this case, you'll never regret buying quality. Macs are made of better stuff. The battery in my wife's macbook is over 3.5 years old and still holds at least %80 of its best charge while new. Every Dell or HP that I've purchased (dozens for a large government organization) needed at least 2 battery replacements in that amount of time. There's your $300 difference. Never mind the (opinion) better interface and support. My $.02

·
Registered
32 Posts
what are your intended uses?

i personally prefer a powerful desktop, and a portable laptop.
I have a homebuilt desktop to do all my power media ect on, but a netbook to use with the GPS when traveling with my wife. its small and gets over 8hrs on the battery.
perfect for most trips.

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had thought about another desktop but I do some photo editing, scanning old pics to correct and save and otherwise watching videos, dvds, etc..I have a small office and was thinking that a laptop would allow me to clear the desk and would be portable enough to stream to my TV. My first thought was a 17" screen but I have a 19" monitor that I can use and the 17" size laptops are approaching boat anchor size portability.

·
Registered
541 Posts
The external hard drive would be a good place to archive the collection so as not to clutter up and fill up your main operating system and program file, internal hard drive.
Please note, that if you backup your photos on your external hard drive and then you delete them from your computer you will NOT have a backup of your precious photos! In order to have a proper backup it MUST exist at least on 2 separate drives at the same time.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Please note, that if you backup your photos on your external hard drive and then you delete them from your computer you will NOT have a backup of your precious photos! In order to have a proper backup it MUST exist at least on 2 separate drives at the same time.
Good point, backup means having a copy of the data elsewhere :green_lol: Although if it has to be on two separate physical drives is debatable.
So if I have two logical drives on one physical drive and I have a copy of the data on each, is that technically speaking a backup :confused::mrgreen:

Kidding aside, having the data on two different physical drives is the best thing to do of course.

·
Cowboys aint easy to love
2,113 Posts
I had thought about another desktop but I do some photo editing, scanning old pics to correct and save and otherwise watching videos, dvds, etc..I have a small office and was thinking that a laptop would allow me to clear the desk and would be portable enough to stream to my TV. My first thought was a 17" screen but I have a 19" monitor that I can use and the 17" size laptops are approaching boat anchor size portability.
It is absolutely up to you to choose the quality that you want to buy. In PC's -- whether desktop or laptop/notebook -- there are at least two quality grades -- consumer-grade like the Pavilion or professional/business grade. I happen to like the ones that have a small form-factor but that are dense and have some heft to their feel. My laptop only has a 14.1" monitor but can drive a larger external monitor of the kind you might want for all of that photo editing you do.

·
Administrator
13,342 Posts
Last year I bought a 9" Asus 900ha to be my computer on the road for bike trips. It has evolved into my everyday home computer. I bought a larger monitor, a trackball and a larger keybord for home use. I still have the desktop at home and connect to it through the home network when I want to use the DVD drive but more and more I am not even turning on the desktop at home. It doesn't have a ton of horsepower but the sheer portability of it means that I can have it with me almost all the time.

I would get another one in a heartbeat, although I would more likely go to the 10" size and 8 to 10 hour battery life.

..Tom

1 - 20 of 30 Posts