StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't even know the bike was a ABS version but I'm glad it is even though I would never know the difference since this was the first time I've ever ridden a street bike. I haven't ridden a motorcycle (dirtbike) since I was 12 years old and I didn't even ride it very much when I was a kid either. I honestly thought I could just hop on it a go like the wind, boy was I wrong. I had no idea the bike was that big.....hehe! I'm 41 yrs old and I weight about 270-280.......6 ft tall and I was afraid to start the engine.....LOL! I just have to get used to riding. I eventually started and drove around in my neighborhood and down a few streets to a parking lot for about 15 minutes. I need to get used to the everything. I just need to take it slow and put in about 30 hrs and take a course. Crash bars wouldn't hurt either. The bike I purchased is a 2008 Vstrom 650dl ABS but it has over 40k miles but it was well taken care of, not really a scratch on it. The chain is a bit noisy and runs kind of jerky, is that normal??

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
Lubed chains are less noisy; you should lube yours after your next ride.
The jerkiness is probably a combination of first gear and your right wrist not being used to eachother yet.

Definitely go take that course; it's cheaper to drop a school bike than it is to buy crashbars (which aren't always necessary, as you'll likely never drop your bike after you install them).

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hope your right about the chain lube...........guy told me he hit a curb yesterday and it kinda worries me. Well, the bike looks beautiful and I have all the records and its the ABS version........bought it for only $3000. I will put a picture on the site probably tonight. I think I need to buy a center stand, will make it easier to lube a chain....hehe!

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
The best advice I can give you is, go take a MSF Riders Course. You will be a much better beginning rider for having taken it.:thumbup:

·
Registered
875 Posts
Hope your right about the chain lube...........guy told me he hit a curb yesterday and it kinda worries me. Well, the bike looks beautiful and I have all the records and its the ABS version........bought it for only $3000. I will put a picture on the site probably tonight. I think I need to buy a center stand, will make it easier to lube a chain....hehe!
You stole it at that price. Take the MSF course. Enjoy it.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
Congratulations and welcome aboard!

+1 on what others have said about an MSF course or equivalent. I rode very little in my youth, only a couple of times, really, and managed to crash my friends Trail 70 in a field at that. I had originally thought to take the MSF course, buy a 250cc Reflex scooter, and immediately head out on a couple of hundred mile trip to visit my parents. The MSF course made me realize that wasn't going to happen. I spent a couple years (and a terrifying first few weeks) on a Honda CB450 before moving up to my most wonderful Wee. Oh, got the 250cc scooter last year and love it, too.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Limit your riding before you take the course. You are likely developing bad habits already, and you are certainly putting yourself (and your new machine) at risk. You'll understand after the course. Don't ask how I know this... Good luck !

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
Congratulations and welcome aboard!

+1 on what others have said about an MSF course or equivalent.
+2......after reading the initial post, I couldn't help but think "oh man.....um...."

Seriously, take advantage of the awesomeness the MSF courses provide for newbs, it could literally save you years of "learning it on your own" as well as survival skills you DON'T yet have.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've still only ridden the bike once. Got sick from eating moldy pita bread....lol! Not fun and all. Hint.......turn the light on before eating bread.

·
Registered
297 Posts
The MSF class will be helpful, I am 31 and just got on a bike for the first time. In the MSF class see if they have a dual sport to use. I used one and the height helped. (this will not help with the top heaviness there is with the We but you get used to it within the first day back on the bike).
With my bike I did get the Givi Crash bars and in the month I have had the bike I have not dropped it (Knock on wood). But it was nice to know my bike is protected in case I did drop it and made it easier to run through all the MSF skills I learned the week before. (Mainly the figure 8 - U-Turns)
Congrats on the new bike and welcome to the new world of hating all other modes of transportation (AKA cages).

·
Registered
25 Posts
+1 on the MSF course. Should make a big difference for you and give you a confidence boost.

·
Registered
22 Posts
+1 +1 on the course...We don't have the MSF course in Idaho, but we have the Idaho STAR course. I had never ridden before, and was helping a family friend out by taking it with their son...had toyed with the idea of a bike, but never seriously. Took the course, and they were able to take me from never touching a bike before in my life, to giving me some great lessons. I then spent an additional 5-10 hours in a parking lot practicing the same things with a very experienced rider on a Suzuki SV650S. Was going to purchase it, but my back couldn't handle the stress. Rode a friends' BMW 650GS, and decided right away to purchase a dual sport. The biggest challenge with the VStrom is how top heavy it is, but as long as you learn how to walk it, you'll be fine....

·
Registered
392 Posts
MSF bikes

Btw, not every MSF course uses the Honda Rebel, many do but certainly not all of them. Saw one where they were using Yamaha TW200's, would be a bit closer to the Strom.

Bill H.

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Get the crash bars. Eventually you will drop it, or the stand will melt into the parking lot or it will just "take a nap" but it will likely end up on its side.

Repainting plastic is expensive. repainting crash bars is a can of bedliner.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
The chain is a bit noisy and runs kind of jerky, is that normal??
Lube the chain and adjust the slack according to the manual. (when on the sidestand, you want 20 - 30 mm of play in the center of the bottom run of the chain.) Be sure the chain runs straight off the rear sprocket when the are ready to tighten the axle nut. Experience has shown that a dab of anti-seize on the axle threads (and grease or antiseize on the axle through the wheel) and torque to about 58 lbs-ft works well. Adjust the throttle play to 2 - 4 mm of free play...but I like less...and if it doesn't snap back the return cable might be too tight. Fuel injected bikes have abrupt on-off fuel right at the crack point, and we need to get used to that.

Everyone has their favorite chain lube. DuPont (blue label) Multi-Purpose Wax Lubricant with Teflon is one favorite ($5 at Lowes), and PJ1 blue label is another excellent chain lube.

If you can feel slack between links or if the chain can be pulled away from the rear sprocket at the 3 o'clock position, you need a new chain and usually new sprockets.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, just dropped my bike coming out of the driveway into the street. Broke my right signal and my right brake handle on the end. Dusted myself off and drove around for 2 hours. I know what caused me to hit the deck..........took off in 2nd gear, had no power to pull me out.....hehe! :headbang: What an idiot. So now I need a new right front turning signal and right brake handle or just keep what I have on it. Light is still working on the signal and I can still use the brake, just the end broke.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Get the crash bars. Eventually you will drop it, or the stand will melt into the parking lot or it will just "take a nap" but it will likely end up on its side.

Repainting plastic is expensive. repainting crash bars is a can of bedliner.
Just dropped it.....hehe! Hint: Never leave your driveway in 2nd gear.:headbang:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts